Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It finally happened!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Liberator, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Well, it happened! The little 305 finally took a dump! I drove the Blazer for about 5 minutes before I heard the knocking. I even felt it in the floor board. Just sounds like a dull thumping inside the engine, like a main bearing is going out. The last couple of months I've been getting a little worried. The engine felt like it was out of balance and running a little rough. I installed an HEI Super Coil, new plugs and wires hoping that would cure the jitters. It didn't!
    It's coming at a real bad time! In February I have to drive it 1600 miles from Kansas to Cali. I need an engine, soon!
    I have an '87 350 w/roller cam that's torn apart. Had plans on building it but don't want to do it myself. Do you think it'll be cheaper to pay someone to rebuild or just get a crate engine?

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sniff Sniff I smell a..........................................383-STROKER Torque Monster [​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Dude, I smell the same thing!

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>A big block is a direct bolt-up [​IMG]

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

NO NO NO!!!

You smell a "502 Ram Jet" motor!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

6. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

That is the sent of a 383

7. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    <font color=blue>Yup, I smell 383 stroker fumes too..............</font color=blue>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Say lady, is that <font color=red>Eau de Stroker</font color=red> you're wearing????

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It would be cheaper to get someone to rebuild the motor. I bought a reman 4.3 V6 from a place here for $875, but I found out I could've had it rebuilt by a performance shop for $500. A 350 TBI motor, reman, here is $750.
    Here are some prices here :
    305 short block assembly : $315-390 (depends on rear seal)
    305 long block assembly : $595-645 (depends on rear seal)These are from www.citymotorsupply.com go and check exact prices. I don't know the exact price 'cause I don't know which motor from what year you need.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 89GMCSuburban on 12/14/01 03:26 AM.</FONT></P>

9. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

why stop at a 383 man... find an old cadilac and Cannabilize the GM 500 ..... POWER!!!!! WOO HOO

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Nah, go straight to the Bill Mitchell 638 cubic inch elephant motor. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

11. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You can get a H.O 350 from Napa that will bolt right up (and has 9:1 compression) for about 1500 or 2000....long block. That'd be the quickest and least expensive, but you'd still be getting a good motor with everything new in it.
    The problem I've seen a few times with rebuilding it, is the guy messes up something on it and you've got to wait around until he can get to it again or he takes forever in the first place. With a crate motor, if something's wrong with it, it's under warrentee and they send you a new one in a few days *shrug*
    I'm not racing or anything so crate motors are just fine with me.

<font color=blue>What part of my brilliance do you not understand?</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

tall deck World blocks can be punched out to 800+ cubes, in case you were wondering....[​IMG]

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

13. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

A big block is a direct bolt-up

<hr></blockquote>

Hmmm, 454? I wonder if that'll pass California emmissions? But then again neither will the 350. What I do know for sure is I'm not putting in another 305.
    I know a machine shop in town that'll check the 350 I have to make sure it's rebuildable. He said he'd check the block, heads, crank and connecting rods for $150. I can't afford a crate motor anyway! I can't find one around here for less than $1200.
    I sure do smell a used 454 though!
    I need another credit card![​IMG]

Bo

14. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

If the 350 was offered as an option, which it was for all years, right? It'll be legal in CA, you can do anything that was offered from the factory for your year, I'm thinking about building a 400 for mine since it was offered that year. Just make sure you have all the smog stuff in place.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

15. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]Smog stuff? What smog stuff?[​IMG]

The only smog stuff I have is mufflers! Does that count? Do you think I can somehow pump outside air into my exhaust pipes to pass smog? Think it'll work? I'll have to find...somebody...blind...that works at, never mind. I'm getting myself into trouble![​IMG]

I'd like to take this opportunity to say, I love Southern California (Orange County), but I hate the laws! Laws alone are what's driving me away! Gotta go, I can't let "Big Brother" find me.

Bo