Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IT guys/gals: Share your funny support calls!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Feb 27, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I went through one of my funniest support calls ever this morning, I was laughing so hard I couldn't tell my CE about it later on....

I installed 2 21" monitors for two users at another facility that I control. I upped their resolution to 1152x864 since they were now on a massive screen. They need these monitors for some software they use that requires that much monitor to view all the data on screen without coninuously scrolling. While they were still on 17" monitors, someone adjusted something on one machine, which carried over to the new monitor and resolution.
    So yesterday (I installed the montiors weds night), she calls me and says "There's something wrong with my machine, I need you to come fix it right away, I can't do [insert unknown function here] with the screen the way it is." I figure it's her resolution so, I'll just revert back when I get done with what I'm doing. Turns out I'm not able to get to it til this morning, but she pestered me once an hour about it, panicking, all afternoon until today...

I start playing with her resolution at 5:40 (she of course had to rocket out of there at 4:59!)... I figure I'll leave it alone til I talk to her, but I shoot out an email saying if she doesn't hear from me by 9:30 to call me. 8:30 this morning, my cell phone scares the crap out of me (calls before 9am usually represent a major catastrophy), and guess who it is. Yep. So I tell her to stop and wait til I get to my office, she's practically begging me to come to her office (seperate site than where I'm going). I say no, I can do it remotely from my office. 9:30 I get into her computer and change settings with her watching. She opens programs to test them ,"oh no no, you made it worse!", ok, I change it back to the way it was. She tests and says, "it's still the same." So we go back and forth for fifteen minutes doing this. I have it back to the original setting it was this morning and she says "What's that picture in the background? what do you call that thing? that's smaller, it should be bigger and take up the whole screen. I bet if you fix that picture in the background that will fix everything." Her desktop wallpaper was set to "center" instead of stretch, and I guess with the old resolution, it took up the whole screen. So I set it to stretch, and it fills the whole screen. She opens the same programs to test them and says, "oh thank you thank you!! You did it, I told you that picture had to be bigger to make everything work".

I had to pretend to have a coughing fit to hide my laughter...

Ratch
    CK5 album <-- New Wheelin' pics!
    This is not a new signature.

2. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Uhhhhhhh......Hello....anybody home? Apparently not. That had to be frustrating. I don't work in IT, but I've dealt with the public. There are some real winners out there.[​IMG]

<font color=purple>Michelle~</font color=purple>

Soylent Green is good for you![​IMG]

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just reread the post, I posted it before I was finished editing, so it may sound a little gibberishy...

Extremely frustrating!! This particular woman is nuts. She is in a state of panic and disarray whenever anything miniscule changes... When I got back from vacation, the guy that was covering me said he shut off his phone at one point...

Ratch
    CK5 album &lt;-- New Wheelin' pics!
    This is not a new signature.

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Heck.. we have people in our IT that dumb... one of them called me at home for a personal call (that right there is a big no no for me unless they plan on paying me). One of the girls in the Help Desk was trying to upgrade her PC from 95 to 98 without an upgrade CD just the standard 98 SE CD. So anyway she calls me and said something to the effect of "I tried to upgrade my PC from 95 to 98 but now when I reboot I get an error that says No OS found" So I asked her what she did exactly. She said "well I deleted the Windows directory then rebooted". So I asked "why?' and she said so I could upgrade to 98. Anyway you get the idea, I made her a boot disk that would enable CDROM support and walked her through how to install it. What a way to spend my time at home away from work.

89 K5 Silverado, 4", 33's, 3/4 ton axles
    <a target="_blank" href=http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com>http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I will not take comapny calls on my personal time, unless I get paid basicaly triple rates, with at least a 2 hour service minimum charge. at 18 ( overtime rate) x3, I quickly rack up the hourly rate, anytime someone calls me at home. I have some friends that call for computing advice that I can't really charge for, that always wonder why I sound pissy when they're asking how to do something with thier 'pooter... the answer is I've been doing it for the last 8 hours, and I'm dune until I have to do it again the next day.

we have plenty of resolution problems,. although its generaly the other way around... `what did you do to my screen? the text is all smalll now, and I can't read it' so, I lower the resolution, and 5 minutes later, `I can read it now, but I can't fit the whole database on the screen... make it better!!' ugh.

oh well, I get paid to do little/nothing much, so I'm happy,

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>Its a Wheelbase Thing... You Wouldn't Understand</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>CK5 SUB-culture</font color=red>