Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It is cold in here, time to defeat the locked thermostat...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Dec 11, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

two ice cubes on top of the box the thermostat is locked up in and BAM instant heat :D I really need to get my landlord over here to turn the heat up. 67 degrees is just too chilly. Especially when my room stays cooler then the living room.

2. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

67 degrees how do you live? Ive gotta have it 73-75 lol:eek1:

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Man you guys are living in great heat my house is 58...im living cheap:D

You could try gettin a space heater for your room sled.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

lease prohibits it. That and my PC + monitor act like a space heater. I can't imagine how it would be without them :eek1:

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It gets any hotter than 71 in my room and I open the window...then again two computers and a large sound system in a tiny dorm room make it pretty toasty in here.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

67? thats hot. We usually have it around 60-65* during the day

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

thats what its like in my house, its never over 65

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

2 "zones"...

Our house is like night and day..upstairs,my mom keeps it cranked to 70 at least..many times I've seen it 75+,and I'm ready to suffocate!..then,downstairs,its rarely more than 60-65 degrees..feels "cold" all the time even though it isn't really..its kinda damp and musty down there..I feel like a frozen corpse when I wake up sometimes!..

The best way I've found to get sick is to work,or just loaf, in the cold garage all day(even with the wood stove going your lucky to get the shop uop to 50 degrees!)..then go into the small 4x10 "BTU" room with its own barrel stove,close the door,and get it up to 90+ degrees!..

Then,apply several shots of Southern Comfort or Brandy ,and doze off for 2 hours with the TV on..when you wake up,there is usually ice on your beard!..the stove puts me right to sleep --and it goes out within an hour..its the same temparature as outside a few moments after the stove dies down!---then you go in the house frozen,and it feels tropical again..a few days and nights of this and your pneumonia is well established..:mad:

Sled Dog--if you have a fairly small room,an old console TV set with tubes doubles as a room heater..I had one in my apartment years ago..it was only about 55 degrees in my room,until I'd turn on the TV and leave it on about 30 minutes,and then it would be at least 68 degrees in there..room was about 8x10 feet--

I left a hair dryer going a few times,used it for a heat gun!--but my landlord lived right below me,and would come knocking if I left it on more than a few minutes!..:mad:
    (we had "locked" thermostats too,and no way to defeat them--they had louvered steel boxes riveted over them:doah: )..

I retaliated by taping bubble wrap over my windows..it helped a lot..they were old and you could see the curtains move away from the widow when the wind blew !..my landlord complained,but I told him to STFU or turn up the heat!..he eventually moved me to the 3rd floor,where I had to leave the windows open a lot!--its true that heat rises!..it was always hot up there...:crazy:

9. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

if a space heater is against your lease im sure candles are to..but you would be surprised how much heat they give off in a small room

10. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Cheap a$$;)

11. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

So is mine. One of my roommates kept turning the thermostat up unti we got he bill. Now its between 56-58 degrees. They live upstairs, and its a good 5 degrees warmer up there. You kinda get used to the cold here in W MD. Wind is what really gets ya though.

12. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Same here.

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

sled can you acsess the furness?

just jumper the two wires to a switch, or hell set up a real cheap thormostate, and set it higher, just hide it;)

14. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Damn skippy...im cutting corners like...well i dont know what like...but my heats that low and ive been living off easy mac and frozzen pizzas too:D ...except whenever i got back home to see the guys i graduated with i always go to the bar with alot more money then i leave with:doah: at least I havent tapped into the pickup fund yet