Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It just keeps getting better with my new burb LOL

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, May 4, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I bought this 88 burb. It's the cleanest in Atlanta. 71k on the clock when I bought it. I paid $5k for it and I still think it was worth it.

Well The previous owner did his own maintance. Had this incredible list of when things were done and when they were due next. Spent 30 minutes explaining this maintance chart. Let me know it was due for the front wheel bearings to be repacked. All recitps etc. I'll tank it up in the morning and see what the MPG was. I'll post what it is in a couple days when I run it down to half a tank and see how much of an improvment it gets. I know the Speedo is of 5mph so I'll use it as a base base and Use my GPS to track REAL miles traveled and figure out what it really gets.

This truck didn't have 1000 miles put on it in the last year plus. SO age was catching up to a lot of things. I'm playing catch up now.

Heater hoses originals, Getting ready to go and had to replace.
    NO tranny cooler. This is a 454 with a TH400 and a 16k combined GVWR ! and GM didn't put a AUX cooler on it. So last week it got a stact plate installed rated 10k pulling on a MOTOR home LOL.

Upper radiator hose was improperly installed and got into the A/C fan belt.
    Bad radio antenna.
    Dry rotted speakers.
    Original Shocks ($200+ worth of Bilsteins going on Tomorrow if I have time and it's not raining.

Just a bunch of dumb age stuff.

Well It has a serge at cruise seems to do fine acclerating but not at cruise.
    Replaced the O2 sensor last week. Decided to give it a tune up today. one of the plug wires was getting rubbed by the shift linkage.
    So I carfully mark the wires so I can set up the new cap and wires on the bench. Pulled it all off in one shot. Look at the cap and there is scaley corrosion from repeated steam cleanings on the contacts. Decide to check the wires. FOUR BAD WIRES including tow that were open as in no connection for end to end LOL. one of the worst wires was on number 7 and that plug was not looking good from lack of a good spark. That';s the same side as the O2 sensor so I'm pretty confident I have my serge licked. Didn't get a chance to test drive it tonight but my 22 mile ride to work in the morning will tell the tale. Idled much better that's for sure.

No matter how good that new truck appears to be spend some time and check things out. The Previous owner was a great guy and took care of this truck WAY better then most but still some stuff needed attention.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

All things that will give you 'piece of mind' when you are on those long trips. Now you will no fer sure!

Sounds like a good deal.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    No matter how good that new truck appears to be spend some time and check things out. The Previous owner was a great guy and took care of this truck WAY better then most but still some stuff needed attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the little stuff that makes all the difference. I just picked up an 89 Mercury Sable for a work beater while I save for a few parts for my Jimmy. I paid $300 for it. When i went to check it out the first question I had was why was it priced so low. The guy tells me it has a bad head gasket and generally needs some work.

I poke around for a bit under the hood...oil, good, no moisture, no coolant looks pretty clean. Check the rad while it's idling and warmed up...no bubbles. Check the exhuast...no white smoke. I figure this guy is on crack. It does run crappy...but the rest of the car is mint. All the options and they all work, AC is cold as ice, all the power junk works and aside from being dirty it all looks good...even the black paint. I can see the paint is original and it still has a decent shine to it.

I drive the car for a few days and it begins to run worse and worse. Finally i have some time to look at it and find someone had butchered a coil lead and used it as a spark plug lead and it was barely hanging onto the cap. Cap looks pretty old too. I drop $65 on tune up parts and spend a couple of hours giving everything the once over. I concluded that because they were hard to get at that nobody bothered changing plugs in about 10 years...cap might have been newer but it was still bad too. New air filter and fuel filter and now it runs smooth as glass.

Overall it's a very decent car. I was told by a few people that know better than I do that the AXOD tranny is pretty weak. This one still shifts normally, oil color is good too. I cleaned all the grunge up today and waxed it for the hell of it. I figure I should be able to make a decent buck selling this car before something does break/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is amazing how people will let a good car go for dirt cheap because they just ignored the basics regarding maintenance...

Rene

4. Grim-Reaper

WOW what a difference. I thought the motor had great power when I wasn't getting good spark on four cylinders. MAN does it pull hard now.

Still a touch of this serge though. Every thing I do makes it a little better but still not completly gone. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    SOme of it might be the cruise control. I basicly hit the button at 65mph and cruise on my way to work (god it's great working the opposite direction as traffic flow.).
    It got 10MPG this tank of gas. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif But I have done a fair amount of short tripping and basicly dogging it. Drag raced another burb last week as well. I hope to get it up into the 13-14mpg range. If I can't and I still have the Supra then I can pay the insurance for the Supra in gas savings. Might as well keep it and keep the miles off the burb.

5. tRustyK5

I was told a surge like that can be caused by fuel pressure being a hair too low on TBI motors. The pressure seen at the throttle body should be 9-12 psi, but I'd stay on the higher side of that. My 88 GMC had a surge at 9...very slight.

I sold it before getting a chance to mess with it much, but I recall seeing a tech article where they adjusted the fuel pressure up on a TBI. Maybe someone here knows how exactly that is done.../forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ya mean this article? http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/tbi-afpr.shtml /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Grim, 10 mpg is about what you can expect with a 454 under the hood. I've talked with a lot of 454 owners over the years and nearly every one of them reported 9 to 10 mpg. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It could be worse though, you could have one that gets 4-5 mpg like the one in thatK30guy's truck! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. tRustyK5

Thanks Harry, that isn't the article I had read...it's much better! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

8. cris

cris Registered Member

hey I have an 88 burb too kinda going to a more rugged look rolcage linexed floor honda si bucket seats auto meter gauges /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya mean this article? http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/tbi-afpr.shtml /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Grim, 10 mpg is about what you can expect with a 454 under the hood. I've talked with a lot of 454 owners over the years and nearly every one of them reported 9 to 10 mpg. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It could be worse though, you could have one that gets 4-5 mpg like the one in thatK30guy's truck! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks. Good read. Let me get through the stupid stuff and see if I can get rid of it. Next thing will be a Fuel filter. He had a spare he gave me when he sold me the truck but I'll have to look to see if it's even been replaced. He gave me spare hoses and the ones on the truck were original. LOL /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

A small burp at idle...in gear...is a chip problem...there is a book with my snap-on scanner that shows all the changes they made..chip by chip...gonna have a new chip burned for my 79 to compinsate for the altitude around here...i can live with my stop light burp...allthough a nuisance..

My 90 V2500 price tag is down to $3600...as the previous owner payed for the used trans.. (THM475)..DRAC replacement cured the CEl and abs light issue and the cruise works again...however the darn speedo is still doa...got a used one located...motor still has knock but i am buying back a 4 bolt main 99 vortec short block i had built...sold...and now buying back...still in shrink wrap...with the moto feet i bought...can you say roller cam...lol. Still have to rebuild the front end though...ball joints...etc. Getting there though.

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. Grim-Reaper

It's smooth at idle. Seems to idle high but I haven't put a tach on it yet. I always idled my Quads low so it may be where it is supose to be.
    This is a steady speed thing. I can get on the gas and it picks up fine. It will do it at 25 all the way up to 65.
    Fuel pressure issue makes sense after reading the shop manual and the 3rd gen link that was posted. I'm hoping it's fuel filter. If it would QUIT raining I would slap one on after work and get the new shocks on.

HAY where the heck is the place to hook a tach to on these? Is it that pig tail taped to the wires on the remote coil? HOW dumb is it putting that coil on the intake? I think that may get moved to the fire wall to keep it a little cooler as well as accisible without having to remove the air cleaner.

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    HAY where the heck is the place to hook a tach to on these?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Once you buy that scanner that you know you want, /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif you'll be able to read the RPM from the ALDL port under the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. sanddragon2004

sanddragon2004 Registered Member

if you have HEI, their is a pickup on the distributor.

14. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    HAY where the heck is the place to hook a tach to on these?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Once you buy that scanner that you know you want, /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif you'll be able to read the RPM from the ALDL port under the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually I'm looking at going with the Laptop set up. http://www.customefis.com/winaldl.html /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Problem is the lap top will not always be in the truck. Just when servicing and when traveling.

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

WinALDL is the chit! Highly recomended and the guy that wrote/maintains it has been very responsive. I found a bug in the output and he had me a fix in less than 24 hours, on his web site about 24 hours after that (after we had time to test the fix and make sure it didn't break anything)...

16. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

If i had a lap top i would definately run winaldl to record data for a chip reburn...but it might be hard to read codes ona ford or honda with it...which is why i bought the scanner...

fuel filter...20mm-16mm. 9-13 psi..

have you fixed all the other stuff yet grimy...ie: plugs..wires...o2...cap rotor...etc.? Allways start with the basics...ours needed everything...and the NP241 was really simple to go through....

wire taped of at coil is the one...series 56 terminal if n i member right...

rebuilding the tbi would be a good thing on the ole maint list...gasket kit is around $30...carbon likes to build up in the passage ways that provide vacum to the front ports...and carbon can build up on the tip of the iac...causeing minor idle issue's....

never seen any issues with tbi coils...course if you runa msd box it would be a good idea to ditch it as the stock coil doesn't saturate quick enough to keep up with the msd unit...

DW

17. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    If i had a lap top i would definately run winaldl to record data for a chip reburn...but it might be hard to read codes ona ford or honda with it...which is why i bought the scanner...

fuel filter...20mm-16mm. 9-13 psi..

have you fixed all the other stuff yet grimy...ie: plugs..wires...o2...cap rotor...etc.? Allways start with the basics...ours needed everything...and the NP241 was really simple to go through....

wire taped of at coil is the one...series 56 terminal if n i member right...

rebuilding the tbi would be a good thing on the ole maint list...gasket kit is around $30...carbon likes to build up in the passage ways that provide vacum to the front ports...and carbon can build up on the tip of the iac...causeing minor idle issue's....

never seen any issues with tbi coils...course if you runa msd box it would be a good idea to ditch it as the stock coil doesn't saturate quick enough to keep up with the msd unit...

DW

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah I did the full monty tune up including O2. Still need to install new fuel filter. PVC looked relativly new and it sounded clean when I gave it the rattle test but I'll throw one on anyway. It was dark and couldn't find the wire I needed to unplug to set the timing so need to check that as well. Wasn't where I expected it but I found it. I'm out of simple stuff after that. Going to unplug the EGR for the ride home and see if it changes it.

I am either getting less sensitive to the surge or it's going away. Didn't really notice it much this morning but I had Prodigy cranked and was air drumming on the wheel LOL. It may just needed driving. PO didn't put 1k on it in the last 1.5 years.

Where can I tap into this to do a fuel pressure check? Probably in my shop manual but I haven't read that far. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Getting a Tach this weekend setting timing and fuel filter. Need to service the TH400 as well. Hope to get that in but had a BBQ on Sat to go to and Mothersday I'm taking out mom, wife and the kids for dinner. What ever I do it has to be running for that.

18. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Nothing like a burb for people hauling and luggage for all of them in the back. Sounds like you are on your way to getting this thing running like it should. As of now I will suggest the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure as well.

Contrary to the previous response I found that a MSD6A box I installed on a uncles suburban increased throttle response and fuel economy noticeably. I'm a huge MSD fan and run one on my truck as well, mental notes I have through installing boxes on 4 trucks: the biggest differece was always on FI engines as far as throttle response, fuel economy +1/2-1mpg, on the carbed trucks it always seemed to make a easier cold start and idle was much smoother maybe 1/2mpg gain but overall smoother running truck.

Next thing I would go through if you are seriously considering upgrading is exhaust, and a chip. For the last burb we setup a 70 series Big Block flowmaster with true 3" single pipe all the way back with a high flow cat and all. Flowmaster isnt the only option but this one was sweet and had a great deep deep idle without being overly loud.
    The chip was from JET Chip that helped as well throttle response wise.

Real results I have seen on a 89 burb big block with exhaust, chip, MSD was a increase from 10 flat to 12-13....I know its alot of cash to drop on upgrades for just a mpg or two but these things are pigs, well all know it, just try and squeak by with something a little better MPG wise. Did I mention when we towed a bay boat and had it loaded we still consistantly got 10mpg, loaded or unloaded it is a HOSS of a engine! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

You must have misread my MSD quip...i am a firm believer in the MSD product...i have one on my 76 chalet k5...and a nice blue one that says gm on it to install on my 79...just gotta find the time...what i said was simple....a stock coil can not keep up with the msd requiorments...it simply doesn't saturate quick enough to keep up with the msd demand...thats why i run a msd coil...when kilojouls are concerned...a coil has to put out a lot quicker...

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. Grim-Reaper

All right got the first tank and a MPG figure Ideas

Well not quite a first tank...more like a little over a 1/3...40 Gallons of tank goes a long way /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Right at 10mpg...I think. There was a car at the pump I used last time and I think I actually got more fuel in it this go around. Numbers for numbers it was 9.7 mpg but I think I got at least an extra gallon in this time. Reading higher on the gage then last tank as well.

Things I have planned for this weekend.
    Fuel filter (serge still there).
    Timing.
    Play with EGR and verify it's working.
    do some testing of sensors to verify they are working.
    I have already checked for codes and none stored. I'll do a run test as outlined in shop manual. Might see about finding a Scanner to hook it to.

Maybe Exhaust manifold gaskets.

I'm looking to squeak a little more MPG so any ideas will be great.

Noticed the preheat flap was not fully open and the air cleaner inlet extremely warm. Going to jam it open to make sure it's getting plenty of cool air and plug the hot air inlet.

Thinking about trying this TBI base plate pre heat by pass. Seems to be very counter productive to be running 200deg water through the TBI when it's 80degrees out.
    I could see it's need at temps below 35deg but not at all during the summer.

Check spray pattern on injectors is something I plan to do as well.

Clean K&N filter. ( I swapped it in from another truck I have and it's filthy).

The exhaust is stock but it's MASSIVE. looks like 3 inches (maybe more) all the way back from the Y pipe till the exhaust till where it Y's into Dual 2 inch tips. Does not seem restricted, seem to get plenty of flow. The converter is HUGE but it looks like a bead style.
    Any other ideas to check?

I'll price out the MSD as well as the Jacobs. I have some pro comments on the MSD anby got any comments on the Jacobs.

Ok I have a heat up problem idling in traffic with the A/C on. I know the water pump has been replaced and I think it may be my culprit. It stays under 210 with no A/C but the extra load I let it idle in gear with A/C on AFTER I replaced the thermostatic fan clutch. after about 12 minutes temp had climbed up to about 220-225 range. truned the A/C of put it in park, brought the RPMS up to about 1200 and it was down to about 190 in about 30-40 seconds.
    I don't think the water pump is moving enough coolant at idle. Any overdrive pullys available for these? It has a combination set up. Flat belt for Air pump, Alt and water. V belts for power steering AC and water then belt for just power steering.