Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

it killed my battery!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 2, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay... long story short...
    I wanted to bring the project k5 down from the backyard so I could start tearing it apart. I only have one battery with the side posts, so I fire the Jimmy up and drive it back there. I unhook the battery from the jimmy and take it to the k5. I then hook the battery up in the k5 and go to start it, it made one crank, then it completely died!!
    So I thought there must be something wrong with the k5, it hasn't been run for a couple months... so I take the battery out and bring it back to the jimmy, hook it up. Then I go to start the jimmy. and It won't start! so the battery is dead. It was almost full charge when it was in the Jimmy a couple hours ago. I can't find my jumper cables, and the battery charger won't reach, so I need to unhook it again, and bring it in the shop.

WHat could have caused this? I'm very puzzled!1

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

can anyone help me? please!

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Possibly a very bad short. Did the motor crank over when you tried to start it or just click? Something similar to me happened and it ended up being a bad solenoid and bad starter. Double check your negative battery cable and make sure it has a good ground and cable is in good shape. Also might want to look at all the wiring going to the starter.

Kris

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

well it made a sound like it was going to start, then nothing. when I tried again it made this weird sound; nothing like when the battery went dead on the Jimmy.
    I hope there is nothing wrong with the starter, we just got it in the spring. I'll check the ground for the negative. thanks

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

anyone else have any ideas?

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

How old is the battery? Is the alternator in your truck that hasn't been started in a couple months shot? Couple of things to check. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

John

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

how can I tell if the alternator is shot? I don't know how old the battery is.... maybe a few years. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It came with the Jimmy... and I got the Jimmy 3 years ago this winter.

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

3 years in a place like BC can kill a auto store battery. Have the alternator tested at a parts store.

John

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

is there anyway other way to check the alternator? besides taking it to a autostore.
    yikes... so I might have to buy a new battery?

10. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

if you can, borrow a battery from a freind or another vehicle that you no is new and try that and if it doesnt start still its probly the alternator, happend to me /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, hope that works /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I will try to find a sidepost battery tomorrow in daylight. Thanks