Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It lives!!!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, Jan 10, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I finally got the old girl running tonight. I had to bleed a bit more air out of the lines and give her a boost but then it roared into life. We let her run for about 45 minutes...

Nothing goes perfectly though, I have a slight dripping from the small fuel return lines on the passenger side injectors (3 out 4)
    The alternator was not working, I must have wrecked something when I rotated the housing halfs to make it work on the 6.2 brackets.../forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif A quick trip to the parts store and I now have a new alternator as well as a rebuilt starter.

Kinda smoky when it first started, but it cleared up quickly. It seemed to have a slight surge to it on the fast idle, by the time it kicked off the fast idle it was idling very smoothly. The exhaust sounds good and is pretty quiet.

I have the battery charger on it overnight and will carry on tomorrow. Any thoughts on the leaky return lines?

One annoying thing...the firewall touches the head of a bolt on the passenger side head. The vibration from the motor touching the firewall is damn annoying. I wish I would have noticed that before it was all bolted down and stuff, it's pretty hard to get to now/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Hey- been meaning to email you to see if you had it up and running yet, congrats.
    rugger

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Congratulation! The leaking return lines have been talked about here before - I don't remember the resolution though. Are you going to "modify" the firewall with a prybar?

4. tRustyK5

The firewall interference I think is due to getting rear ended almost 2 years ago. I'm goin to loosen the body mount bolts and see if I can't shift the body back 1/2" or so. I can't get a bar or hammer in that area effectively...

I'll try and do a search for leaking return lines and see if something comes up.

Rene

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Congrats man!

Are the return lines new? If not, there might be enough slack in the hoses to pull them off, cut the end off a bit, and shove them back on. Just like you would a vacuum hose.

If the hoses are new, that's a bit strange. Are they the proper size?

Smoky starting is normal, as is the surging on a fresh start. It takes a long time to get all the air worked out of the system, even when running. It will continue to surge until all the air is gone.

Glad to hear she's alive!

Casey

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    About the firewall issue, you could use a pry bar somehow and massge at least close the the bolt to give it half an inch or so before you loosen up the body mounts and try and move the body back.
    That way you will have more. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tRustyK5

The return lines are not new. I'll try trimming 1/4" or so off each leaky one and see if that helps any...

How long should it take for the thermostat to open just sitting there idling? The temp was right on the freezing mark and after 45 minutes I shut it down without the thermostat ever opening. Is it normal for them to take that long to warm up? I'm sure it would warm up quicker being driven...

The surging quit as soon as it kicked off the fast idle, nice smooth idle after that.

Rene

8. tRustyK5

I already tried the bar where it touches...but I can't get in there very effectively. I got rear ended by a fullsize Ford pick-up that hit me at over 50 MPH, so i know the body is shifted forward at least a little.

Rene

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Idling, it would take for ever for the thermostat to open.
    You have to drive it to open.
    It's adiesel remember, to cool it down you have to let it idle /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

IceMan is correct. I don't think my thermostat has ever opened just sitting there idling. Well, maybe it has once or twice. But the 6.2L just doesn't warm up fully until the engine is loaded down, such as normal driving. It will warm up enough to give off engine heat in the cab, but the temp guage won't move much.

Casey

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Your engine MAY surge at high idle if the fast idle is set too high. Try dropping the fast idle about 100 RPMs and see if that makes a difference.

12. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Rene, Glad to hear a success story. Will you be stopping by this evening? Its just a short drive.

13. tRustyK5

I just wanted the thermostat to open so I could finish filling up the coolant. I may just plug it in for a couple of hours and then fire it up...maybe then the thermostat will open and I'll get whatever air is still in there out.

Paul, I think the surge was from air in the fuel lines when it first started. I'll see if it still does the same thing tonight and if so I'll lower the fast idle a little.

Rene

14. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I got rear ended by a fullsize Ford pick-up that hit me at over 50 MPH, so i know the body is shifted forward at least a little.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You could fix it the same way by rear ending someone else!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. tRustyK5

LOL...I'd prolly kill someone doing that!!

I managed to get 1/4" between the firewall and the motor.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I should be bringing it home tomorrow night, just have to finish my brake lines and bleed them. Then it's just one fender and the hood /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rene

17. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Welcome to the world of Diesels. I would hook up a few pounds and pull it around the block....might I suggest a house to pull around!?!!??

18. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

....might I suggest a house to pull around!?!!??

[/ QUOTE ]

Get real, this is still a 6.2 here...

However,

Just wait until you go out wheeling with somebody with a carb. Laugh when their engine stalls on a steep incline. If they have fuel injection, be sure to mention how much less fuel you used and your lack of electronic BS. Yep, you're ready for the big EMP.

Also, now you can say things like...

"Well, fundamentally, it don't got enough compression" (Used when someone's gas burner doesn't work)

"A gas engine takes so much work to make it run, its a wonder anyone ever bothers"

You can also refer to a distributor as a "Life support machine"

19. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

20. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A gas engine takes so much work to make it run, its a wonder anyone ever bothers

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding.... that's why I drive the Burb and the crewcab just sits /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif