Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It looked rough but.... WOW

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big jimmy 91, Sep 8, 2004.

1. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    A friend called me and said a buch of guy's were going for a run /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    We all had fun , a little mud , climbing hills etc. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    When I got home and went to take some stuff out of the back seat that is what I found /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    Damn salt , it's eating everything on my rig /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    So , what would be my best option for a quick fix to have a safe seatbelt again , I have to go out of town and don't have time to tear into it for about 3 weeks /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Any thoughts
    I am thinking mabey just weld in a piece to re-anchor the belt to temporarily for now /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd lift the carpet and have a better look. Chances are you don't have much of anything to weld to in that corner.

When I had similar problems I had a piece of 12 guage sheet bent up for that corner. Make sure each 'leg' is long enough that you'll be welding to decent metal. Drill a hole for the seat belt anchor and call it good until you can repair it completely.

Rene

3. big jimmy 91

I am now afraid to lift the rubber mat , it sure did'nt look this bad when I bought it /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    O'h well , I wanted a solid front axle or nothing so it will be fixed come hell or high water
    BTW now I know why so much mud and water made it into the back seat floor when I played in the deep stuff LOL ,
    both sides are really "F"ed up
    Went and poked around a bit only to find a real rotten mess

4. tRustyK5

I feel your pain...I actually cut the whole back half of my Jimmy off and threw it in our scrap bin at work. Then I spliced a rust free rear half of a 73 onto what was left. All that was after getting the front floors rust free...

Then recently I cut all the rot out of my buddy's truck and we patched it all with new steel. Rust repair is the biggest PITA about these trucks.

Good luck with it!

Rene

5. big jimmy 91

Thanks
    I have been looking at some of the checker plate floor replacement threads
    Looks like lots of work but well worth the end result , I may just go that route with a light guage mild steel /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

drill a hole in your seat and bolt it in. same thing happend to me. on both sides. and mines a dd. just go straight into the seat mounts and ull be fine.

7. tRustyK5

yeah, I imagine the seat is very secure.../forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rene

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That isn't rough , this is rough /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif This is the pretty blue blazer Supersize had , they wheeled it too . Pulled up the floor patches ( made from z-71 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) and had this :

[​IMG]

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im gonna go POR 15 my whole truck now...

10. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

sounds like my truck, bought it thinkin i only had to have 2 small peices welded into that same spot, now im in the process of repairing all the floors /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Looks like mine.... try using a stick of dynimite /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

12. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    sounds like my truck, bought it thinkin i only had to have 2 small peices welded into that same spot, now im in the process of repairing all the floors /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not exagerated at all guys... He needs every floor panel from LMC and some custom work to fix all the rust he has. I don't know how the body stayed attatched to the frame for so long. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

13. big jimmy 91

Well , I just relocated the seat belt bolts to the base of the seats on both sides /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Too many things to get done and now I have to go out of town for a few weeks
    As long as the seat don't rip out I will be OK , the rest of the floor looks pretty good so.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Thanks for all the replies /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif