Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It makes me sick

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Jan 29, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Every month it's the same we see pictures and reviews and articles on people and there nice trucks... You see a fully decked out rig wether it be a Chev, Ford ro a jeep... Some guy with no time and too much money or some punk kid with alot of time an drich parents got him self a nice truck... so what does he do.. he takes it to the local 4x4 shop and says build it for me.. what fun is that? I see these articles and I wanna ask these people are you having fun? I have more fun with out all the gadgets.. I did everything myslef.. I refuse to take my truck to someone to pay them to do something for me that I can do.. OK I admit I had my driveshaft lengthened.. I cant do that... That I understand... But these peopl etake it in have the lift put on .. the brakes done the gears changed... the interior done.. they pay someone to do it all for them.. where's the fun in this? True it would be nice to be able to pay someone to do it all,... BUt do you really enjoy it when you havent put the time and blood off your own knuckles into "your" truck... Not to ppick on the blazer that was the rig of the month but how much did you pay to have all that done? what did you learn? It's a nice rig dont get me wrong... but dont you think you would enjoy it more if you had done some of it yourself? I can see taking it into get it painted.. I will haev mine painted.. but I will do all the prep sanding and primering... I put my lift on outside in 20 degree wether.. have you ever smashed a cold hand.. it hurts like hell.. but everytiem i se ethat bolt I laugh my ass off...
    SO next time you guy's see a nice rig, although it may be nice, remember if you built it, it's yours... NOt a creation you bought of of someone else...
    Sorry to vent.. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone... Hell I'm sick of changin oil... I'd rather pay the guy 20 bucks to change it.. but it's fun to do!!!
    And I like being able to sit under my truck that I built...

I built it all, it's mine... All Mine...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Amen brother. I agree it makes me sick to open up a mag and see a "pretty boy toy" that doesnt even see dirt. I got so much stuff that I wanna do to my truck and I'll be damned if I pay another man to do a mod on my baby. I'm proud of the fact that when something breaks I can fix it and it may not be always the case but darn it I'm gonna try first. I went into 4wpw the other day and there was a GMC1500 in there getting everything done to it. I'm talking tires, gears, roll cage, nerf bars, lightbar, bumpers, a winch, you name it, it was getting done. I asked my friend about it and he said that some guy was doing it for his son as a B-day present. Can everybody say "Silver Spoon". That kid is probably gonna run out and kill himself because he thinks he's gotta army tank.

Oh and while we are on the subject, to all those that post "stupid questions" there aren't any stupid questions. If you dont know the answer, how do you expect to learn without asking. The truth of the matter is if you got a question then most likely someone else has the same one. So please dont feel "stupid" for asking, nobody's gonna bash you. Chances are most people on this site will jump to the chance to answer your question.

Ok my turn is over....who's next.

Michael

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I'm glad someone sees my point... There's nothing wrong wit working your ass off and paying for somethign you cant do... But al teast try iy first...
    And your right...no question is stupid... That's how people gain knowledge by trying and asking questions...
    Remember.. If you built it, it's your

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I hear ya! Where's the fun in letting someone else play with your toy? Hell, I live for things on mine to break - it supplies me with an endless list of things to do.

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I definitely agree. The phrase Built Not Bought is so tried and true. I am still just young buck but everytime I get out of my truck and someone compliments me on it I have pride in the fact that I have done it all myself. I put my lift kit on in freezing weather too just because I couldnt wait any longer. I have put so much time, money, blood and sweat into my truck you couldnt put a price on it. What I always like to see is when one of those rich boys shows off a little too much and something breaks they ask me what they should do or how to fix it. I love it.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

6. Beast

Beast Registered Member

Some people just don't get it, but I have always enjoyed working on my own vehicles. My wife just smiles and shakes her head at my son and I when we get in a excited discussion about this or that mod we are planning to do on our toys.
    The thing is it's all those people out there that may have more cash than sense, tallent, skill or time that keep the hobbie shops in buisness, and having worked in that industry for years I must say it is also fun to spend someone elses cash and go wild building them a dream toy, some really appreciate it, some never will but we're the ones they will always come running to in the end.

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Reddog,
    You have to understand that some people don't know how to do some of this stuff. Take me for instance yes I try to do whatever I can but there are some things I will not attempt because I don't want to seriously screw something up and waste my money. My rear end blow out on me about a month ago and I'm having someone install new gears for me on Thursday. I don't know how to change gears and I would rather pay someone $125 to do it right. I have put several lifts on differen't 4x4's, and I will attempt the axle swap at a later time, but I can't weld or make custom fab's like a bunch of ya'll do. I understand what you are saying about having someone pay to have every little thing done to their rig, but don't criticize people due to lack of knowledge or time.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I agree with you here. I hate to see some little spoiled, rich punk driving around in a fully decked vehicle that has all the bells, whistles and off-road neccessities. You see this vehicle and then it pulls into a parking space and who gets out? A little pimple faced kid or some guy in a three piece suit without a scrape on his manecured(sp?) hands..

My Jimmy may not be shiney or run the best, but hell I built it!

Have to say one thing in defense of Robbie Gronbach. I believe he built most of his truck like you and I with the exception of the cage. But then I wouldn't build my own cage either. I would want a person who has built many of them do it and have a safe feeling the next time I roll rather than wondering if it will hold up. By getting a cage built by someone else may put me on your list, but at least I have done everything else to my rig and I htink Rob has also........

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i agree with reddog i do everything that i can do to my truck my self 4 three reasons 1.(DTA) i dont trust other people to work on my rig i need to watch them and make sure it is done right 2. i dont have the money to pay someone to do it 4 me and 3. i like to do it my self but some people like to 4x4 but have no knowledge of how to do this. so are they wrong? or not worthy just because they cant do it them selves? i can do almost anything to my truck my self but there are some things i cant or wont try to do my self like the gears when i put new gears in i will have it done(but i will be watching lol) but that is just because if i do it wrong i dont have the money to buy new ones again lol
    i will be painting my truck this spring (dark candy metallic blue with pearl in it not sure of the color of pearl yet and black hard top with blue pear) and i will be doing this all my self (dad has a paint both at his house) but some people can not do this them selves so they take it in and have it done. no biggy!!
    so just because someone cant do it there selves dose not make them wrong or not worthy!!!!!
    i will agree i dont like it when someone has a fancy truck built 4 them and only drives it on the pavement that is just a waste lol
    dont get me wrong i am not ragging on anyone i am just giving my opinion since it was brought up sorry so long

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

10. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I am with Mudfrog. The amount of work I do on my truck is kinda limited by my know-how. For instance, I am having my spider gears replaced and I would rather have a pro do it and have (at least some) piece of mind.

I do all I can to learn how to do things but at this stage of the game, discretion is the better part of valor so I don't have to drop $$ on a whole new axle. I love being under my truck, but I prefer not to be there on the side of the highway cause my attempted fix is messed up.

I 100 percent agree with you guys, but try to make a few exceptions for us young (unexperienced) bucks trying to learn.

<font color=blue>"It's just a differentialator....Totally unnecessary" [​IMG]</font color=blue>

11. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I agree with MudFrog. There's no way I will change gears on my rig. Sometimes you just need some help and I am not afraid to admit it. Not only that, but if it takes me more than a couple of days to work on my truck, I'll be riding my bike to work since it is my only transportation. That being said, if I am able to do it or think I can do it and have the time, you bet I'll be in there busting my knuckles.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well I guess I'm going to chime in here. I agree there are some people that just take a truck in and pick up a turn key modified 4x4. So what? If it wasn't for people like that a lot of the 4x4 shops we know and love would not be in business. We might not want our trucks built that way, but if a guy has the money and no time or no skills, should he be banned from owning a modified truck? If you think about it, its kind of reverse snobbery! So what, I built my own truck. Its ugly! If I didn't have the skills to make the mods that I have I would have paid to have them done. I want to 4 wheel and I want a modified truck, there shouldn't be any pre-requisites for that.
    Who am I to judge someone by whether or not they have the time/skills/place to modify thier own truck?
    So to all of you that can do your own work great! To all of you that can't for whatever reason, also great! As long as it is built well who cares?

Just my opinion fella's!

Rene

[​IMG]

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>I see where you're coming from, however, some people don't have the resourses to do it themselves. Be it lack of knowledge, money, tools, place to work on it, etc. I agree that I too hate guys that drop their trucks off and pay the bill when they pick it up.......ONLY if they act like asses to everybody else who has done it themselves and don't have quite as nice of a rig because of it. I've seen guys do it all the work themselves and wind up with an unsafe peice of [censored] ! I like to do it all myself but it takes a whole lot longer, but I also get the satisfaction of looking at it when it's done and know that I DID IT !! I get frustrated when I can't drive it because it's tore apart and I'm trying to find time to finish the job. I've had to pass on several trips with my buddies due to mine being in a state of disassemble of one kind or another. My Blazer was out of commission for over 1 1/2 years because I did my engine swap myself, I know it seems like a long time to some of you but I never did it before so there were a ton of thing I had to learn about before I did a lot of it. Colorado K5 helped me the most and I appreciate EVERYBODY who has helped me along the way. It also feels good to help somebody else on here who has encountered the same problem I have in the past and I know I can contribute back to the site with some great advise ! I guess to sum it all up, to each their own and be happy with what YOU have built and don't worry about keeping up with the others. Take pride in YOUR ride ! </font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

[​IMG]

14. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I never said you should do all the work... I am just sayin that hey give it a try... sure there's things I wont mess with (transmissions) but I'd at least pull it out and clean it up to say "yeah I helped as much as I could"... There's nothing wrong with having to have someone do it cause you have given up or dont feel safe to do it... Just give it a try... If your not sure then hey you tried...
    Didnt mean to offend anyone...
    Anyone wann ahelp with my body lift..
    I'll buy Beer ad Pizza...
    In Washington State...

15. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>I'll help with your body lift if you help me with mine .......I'm not looking forward to it but I'm gonna give it a try.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

[​IMG]

16. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

To be honest the only reason I work on my own truck is bcos I havent found a mechanic who is worth a damn. When I work on my blazer the only person I can blame is myself. (I'VE DONE IT ENUFF) I thought I found a good mechanic last week. I had him look at my carb, he told me what the problem was, didnt charge me a thing. I thought "this is great, I found someone honest who knows his stuff". Two days later I took off my air cleaner (brand new K@N) this piece of crap stepped on it, smashed it, tweaked the cover AND stole 3 screwdrivers and my carb adjusting tool I keep stashed by the charcoal cannister! No wonder he didnt charge me, he works on the barter system.I went back and took him aside and quietly took care of business and got my stuff back. I should've beaten this bastard but thats not me. Anyway, I still don't change my own oil tho' I cant do it less than 20 bucks.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

17. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with most all of the comments posted above. However, being in school to get my degree to get a better job that pays well, I am looking forward to sinking every damn bit of $$$ I want to into the heep outside. WIll I have the time and focus to do it all myself?? No way, not with a job like mine. I will have to pay for someone to do it. Sure I would like to make modicfactions and upgrade smyself but to me paying someone to do it right and efficently is more pratical to me.... but Blazer and the work pratocal should be used cautionsly here of course.

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

18. redbeast

redbeast Registered Member

Greetings fellow k5 pilots:
    Here is my opion on the subject, 1st to those who never met a Honest Mech,Hi my name is Rick an I am a honest mech..I have to be, its my job and its my life.. 2nd I allways wished that ther could be a place where you could go and work on your own project and have pros there to help fill in the blanks when you get stuck or have trouble,a place thats stocked with tools and out of the weather. But I havnt found it yet.. Probaly dosnt excist.. The closese think to it is being a part of a group of people with like intrest like our selfs that could get to getther and help out each outher with thier knowledge and resorses to reach a common goal.... Thats whats Wheeling with friends is all about.. I try to help anyone thats not to proud to ask me to help them.. anyway jus my .02 worth..

19. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

well here is my take. i just got into off roading. i have a blazer and i don't know [censored] about anything that has to do with trucks. but i did lower my transfer case the other day and it helped my vibration problem. i am stoked as hell that I did it myself. but i don't have the tools necesary to do alot of the work involved and don't have the money to buy all the tools i need. But i did make a pact with myself that every paycheck i will buy at least one tool i need to work on my truck. i have paid HARD EARNED MONEY for other people to work on my truck and my truck looks and runs good. am i a bad person because of that, no. if my mommy gave me all the money in the world would i spend it on my truck? HEL YEAH.

baja surf nazi

20. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Hey Redbeast, don't get me wrong. I know there are honest mechanics in the world. I just can't find them. Or can't wait long enuff to get a spot on the roster. I have a friend thats been a dealership mechanic for 16 years but don't like to impose too much. I worked for what I think was the best mechanic in Tucson but he has since retired and travels for a living. If you know anyone in town or ever wind up here give me a shout.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim