Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It pays to be patient! Check out these pictures...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Craig Artzner, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just thought I'd share some pictures of a couple of the Blazers I looked at before I found my Green '73. If you cringe at the sight of rust, maybe you should not view this post.

Here's a '73 Skyline Blue Blazer for sale in Cuyahoga Falls. It was on Collector Car Trader.com but there was no picture, ad said "body has rust". Did it ever. Guy was asking $2000. The guys said that there was only 60K on the drivetrain. It's still for sale. As bad as it looks here, the underside was way better than the yellow Blazer you're about to see.

[​IMG]

When I saw this '74 Blazer come up on eBay this past summer out of Cleveland I thought "There's a good straight Blazer." All the body lines were straight and there was no visible rust...

[​IMG]

That was until I went out to look at it and crawled underneath...The body mounting surface that sits on the mount was GONE. In it's place someone had welded a metal plate directly to the frame mount to keep the Blazer together. The thing rode like a Sherman tank. You can't see them in the picture, but the Blazer had coilover shocks on it to boot, which didn't help the already-horrendous ride quality.

[​IMG]

However, as bad as the Blazer was, I REALLY wanted those 15x8 steel wheels. I had been looking for a set of them for over 10 years. I almost bought the truck just to get the rims. Well I watched the auction and emailed the winning bidder afterwards and he contacted me and agreed to sell me the rims. When I met up with him he told me that even though he bidded up to $1600 for the Blazer, he was extremely dissappointed upon pickup and the seller ended letting it go for only $700...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well I got the rims and brought them home. I put one of my dog dish hubcaps on a rims to see what it would look like. Then I had them sandblasted.

[​IMG]

Here are the restored rims. Painted white with the dog dish caps. I haven't decided what size tires I want yet, either 32s or 33s. I've heard that 33x12.50R15s can be run with a stock-height suspension, but I don't want to do ANY fender trimming, so I'm leaning towards 32x11.50R15 BFG All-Terrains or Goodyear MT/Rs. Here is the fruit of my labor, my near-new 1973 Cheyenne Blazer. Bet you can't guess how much I paid for it...

[​IMG]

2. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

So fess up Buckeye, how much did you pay?

3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So are you going to post some pics of the end product? Good looking rims though.

4. Slapperbar

ANNNNNNNNddd I'll be back home in Alliance the 20th to the 26th. You know I'm making a pilgrimage to the promised land of shiny new go fast parts.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Im gonna guess that we are going to hate you for what you paid:crazy:

6. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

L.M.A.O. :haha: :laugh: :haha: :laugh: !!!

7. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

8. Craig Artzner

The guy was asking 10K in August when he put it up for sale. I emailed him to ask about the truck then. But it was way more than I was willing to pay. I watched it sit for sale for 4 months online. 2 weeks ago he lowered his ASKING price to 7K. He also emailed me to let me know that he really needed to sell it and that he would rather see it go cheap than let it sit outside in his driveway all winter under a tarp. I drove 3 hours to look at it on December 9th and offered 5,000 in cash and the truck was mine. I went back and picked it up the next day :cool1:. 67,000 ACTUAL miles on the truck.

9. Slapperbar

Good buy, good job.

10. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Nice dude love the stock look.

11. 88$PIT

88$PIT Registered Member

It's gorgeous, money well spent!

12. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

HOLY CRAP!!! :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

That is an AMAZING looking Blazer!!!!!

That is the exact thing I was looking to find before I settled on my K10 stepside.
    This is why I love you're K5:
    - SUPER CLEAN
    - Full verable
    - 4 speed :bow: :bow:
    - Stock look
    - CrAzY sweet green paint

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Now it is time to break out the sawzall and put some 1-tons on that bitch:D.

J/K Nice rig I dig that paint color:waytogo:.

Ira

14. SierraJim

SierraJim Registered Member

So are those rims really that hard to get, or are they just something you had to have? I have a set of those, and haven't been able to sell them, I almost gave them away at one point. all 5??

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Love those dog-dish hubcaps!!! :thumb:

I'd love to find a set in good condition for my 'Burb at some point.....what a great "sleeper" look, especially on a set of wider wheels!

Nice score on the Blazer too. $5K is a fair price, and it looks (from the ONE photo you posted :mad: ) that it's in really good shape. Lots of people love to brag about getting a K5 for $1000 or whatever, but they don't have something as nice as what you've got there.....and won't, even after spending a LOT of money on bodywork.

I had a similar experience with my '72 Burb.....owner wanted 10K for a nice original 70,000 mile truck, I offered 7K and the deal was done. :usaflag:

16. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

very clean! post MORE pics!

17. Craig Artzner

18. Craig Artzner

Wow I wish I would have known you! Those rims are impossible to find around here and on the internet. There are no good key words to use to locate them online and I've never seen a set online until I found that yellow '74. I found 2 in a junkyard on an old Jeep Wagoneer back in '98 and searched in vain for 2 more to match. I had a '75 Blazer at the time. You have 5? If I still needed them I'd be trying to get them from you. Maybe I could use a spare though...

19. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dang nice buy, I would definatly spend more up front to not have to do body work. I decided it was eaiser to take another body tub and do the full convirtable conversion (not done yet haven't even started) than to fix all the stuff on mine.

20. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I know of two blazers in my area, rust free, and in great ciondition I just know better than to buy em:crazy:

both even have factory wheels:laugh:

good find for you:bow: