Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.... or... I've screwed the pooch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.... or... I\'ve screwed the pooch

Threw in an order to ORD amd 4WP a few days back. I get home today and there on my porch is a whole bunch of boxes. My ARB for the D60 is there so I can take it to the shop for the install. I drag all the boxes into the garage and once again, I'm slap happy with joy. I do the 1970's white boy dance around the garage for a while and set to opening the boxes. Got the Dedenbear knuckles, the ORD crossover setup w/ MASSIVE tie rod, got the D60 kingpin rebuild kits, got the Superior Corp14ff replacement axles (a bit of a surprise with these, but I'll hold off on commenting until it is resolved), and we are cookin' with gas.... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

It's getting late, but a real man works in the waning light. Lights? We don't need no stinkin' lights. I break out the Sears sandblaster and decide it's time to get the caliper brackets and D60 hubs spiffed up for some POR-15 paint. I blast the crap off of the caliper brackets, wire wheel them, scrub them with solvent, POR-15 Marine Clean, and follow it up with some POR-15 Metal Ready.

Then it comes time for the D60 hubs. The previous owner has left the bearings, races, and seals on so they need to come out. One side goes smoooooooooooooth. everything out and ready to clean. I get one race out of the other side and flip it over. I start tapping on the race lip and the damn thing just isn't budging. Well, is this race going to get the best of the Desert Rat? I think not. I limber up, stretch out, fire up the stereo (oh yes, damn straight Skippy,my garage has a bazillion megawatt stereo with 4 speakers. A man's garage it is...a..well...cuz it's the only room the missus lets me have /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) with the mighty Zep just for some testosterone mood music, and get a bigger hammer. ("Hammer of the Gods......visualize the air guitar with the Hammero Mas Grande /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif )

I'm wacking and wacking and wacking and wacking and the @#$%^& ain't moving a millimeter /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. What in the wide wide world of sports is the deal here? I'll tell you what the deal is. Suffering from a serious case of rectal cranial inversion, I'm pounding away on the inner lip of the hub where the other removed race was, not the lip of the existing race. I've beaten this lip like a Hitler pinata at a Mossad picnic. This thing now looks like luggage that spent a month flying Southwest. I've really screwed the pooch this time. This hub is now a lovely paperweight. My elation at my new purchases gives way to 30 min. of loud colorful language that would make Jerry Springer blush. Neighbors are closing windows, women pulling children off the streets, dogs sleeping with cats, mass hysteria....

So now I'm in a pickle. Do I do the junkyard search for a D60 hub? Do I bite the bullet and order a new one from 4WD Factory? Order a pair? They are a spanking at $180 a piece. Do I find another source for D60 hubs? Inquiring minds want to know. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Re: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.... or... I\'ve screwed the pooch

That's one of the funniest posts I've seen in a long time!!! I would scour and scour the yards for a new part before I would part with the big bucks. That is unless you can afford to laugh off those bucks. Congrats on all the new parts by the way. Hell I'm scrabblin for a fraction of all those monies just to get a locker. Ah well. Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Re: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.... or... I\'ve scre

I have some slugs, you can have em for a while if you promise to give em back

4. Resurrection_Joe

Wait am I thinking of the wrong part ?

5. Resurrection_Joe

Yes, yes I am

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.... or... I\'ve screwed the pooch

Helluva story! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif Nicely written.

My advice, based on your current level of expenditure, is go ahead and buy a hub from 4WD factory or ORD, or, if not in too much of a hurry, Ebay searching may turn up a likely candidate (but be careful). Or maybe “wanted” here and on PBB. I doubt you will ever find one in a junk yard that will part out.

Now, about:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Superior Corp14ff replacement axles

[/ QUOTE ]
    WTF! You need Superiors in a C14FF! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif That just aint right!

[Edit] Matter of fact, tell your story on PBB and maybe it will catch someone’s attention who has what you need. That story in "General 4x4" will get you a lot more exposure than the Wanted forum at the cost of a little public embarrassment (which it appears you can handle)

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm wacking and wacking and wacking and wacking and....

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats not waht i used to do in MY garage.. but wahtever floats your boat... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Grant

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm wacking and wacking and wacking and wacking and....

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats not waht i used to do in MY garage.. but wahtever floats your boat... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

JUst keep telling yourself that...we know better /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. Desert Rat

Yep, went with replacements for the Corp14ff. My thinking; I'll keep the stock ones as a backup on the trail by bolting them to my rollbar. If I manage to bust an axle on the front D60, I can always stick with 2WD. If you bust a rear axle, well.... I'm thinking I may just bite the bullet and buy one or two from ORD or 4WD Factory. I guess I'm into this project for some serious pesos anyways. As for PBB, public humiliation isn't an issue. Hell, I wore JC Penney toughskins jeans (you know, the ones made out of fishing line and Kevlar) and plaid shirts in grade school when everyone else had Levi's and learned to street fight pretty good as a result. The ORD hubs are about $15 a piece higher in price for some reason than 4WD Factory. Not sure why /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. Desert Rat

Let he who has a free hand, cast the first stone..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Got a welder? Clean the race off and crank that baby up. Lay a thick hot bead across the open face of the race and let it cool. The heating kinda breaks the seal of being in their for the past 20 years, and when the race/weld cools it contracts and comes right out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Had herd about it before but never beleaved it until I saw this old farmer do it. Dam race just about fell out of the hub.

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Let he who has a free hand, cast the first stone..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    hey... i dont have a free hand... my garage was taken from me..... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Grant

13. Desert Rat

So it's the bathroom and the Victoria's Secret catalog pilfered from the neighbors mailbox for you eh? You're gonna go blind, just ask your Mom..... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hell, I wore JC Penney toughskins jeans (you know, the ones made out of fishing line and Kevlar)

[/ QUOTE ]

had those you couldn't burn a hole in toughskins-----i would just bite it and buy a pair unless you come across one in a j-yard that they'd part out (unlikely, but its worth a shot)

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Toughskins came from sears in my day.

16. Desert Rat

Coulda even been Montgomery Wards, or "Monkey Wards" as Dad liked to call it. Either way, those jeans are in some landfill somewhere with 0% deterioration. They probably should've used them instead of those black tiles on the Space Shuttle.........

17. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

A machine shop might be able to turn off the raised bits metal that you boogered up. Know anyone with a lathe? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

That is a great story. You had me busting up over here! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif If you ever quit your day job I'm sure you'd make a great writer. Good luck with the build-up! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Desert Rat

You don't understand. I beat this thing like a rented mule. I think it might make a good boat anchor now. I'll drop a dime to Scott Peterson, he may need one.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

20. Desert Rat

I just need to get it done by June. I committed to a trip with a buddy. I'd hate to have to cheese out. Besides, the financial attention span of the missus is only so long. Timing is everything.