Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

it will work... right?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chvymudin3388, Mar 10, 2007.

1. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

ok as some of you may know i blew motor ... two pistons with broke skirts bearings are trashed one piston is disenegrating between the rings and causing loss of comphresion... but lucky for me i found a running motor in a truck with a crushed. all i have to do is swap the tranny from the crushed cab truck to a none crush cabbed truck and i get the crushed cab truck with a fresh rebuilt 350 motor... ok its a 91 with a lil newer and supposedly better tbi... will it work with my 87 wiring harness???? im swapping the pulley system to my 87 cause idk what all it will take to swap it to the serpentine.

2. chvymudin3388

k so yall dont know? or what?

3. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I think I would stick with the serpentine belt on the new motor. Sure a lot easier to maintain and swap on the trail if you snap one or somehow throw it. You might also check the difference in alternators on the 2 motors. I know some upgrades were made around 88 and I THINK (it's hard reading GM shop manuals ok?) the 91 will be a 100 amp and the 87 is an 80.

Again, from looking at the books it looks like both wiring harness and parts layout are identical. I think the best thing to do would be to pull the 91 out with all the wire and sensors still in place on the motor and just sit the two side by side to compare.

Also, from experience when you have the 91 out it's a great time to change the O2 sensor, egr, etc. Way easier to do it on the engine stand then in the truck. Also look at the rear main seal and any other gaskets that will be tough to access in the Blazer. I ended up having to change a timing cover gasket 6 months arther I put a 350 in my Jeep - out with the radiator, water pump etc when it would have been an hour job on the stand:mad:

4. chvymudin3388

thanks for the info man so you say just go with the serpentine? it doesnt really change the position of any of my accecories does it like the a/c p.s. or alt.

5. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Depends on whether u want injection or not. It would be far simpler to just use the motor and swap on a intake and carb on. AFAIK, you can still use the serpentine belts. Otherwise everything should work.

6. chvymudin3388

what do you mean it depends on whether i want injection or not i already have fuel injection what would be different?

7. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

No reason to swap to a carb since you already have TBI. You have the complete 91 truck with the engine still running in it correct?

8. chvymudin3388

yea i wasnt planning on switching to carb i heard that the TBI was improved in like 89 or so so ididnt know if it was gonna work with my 87 wiring harness and computer or not.

9. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Perhaps some of the guys with lots of swap experience will chime in later. I would simply pull the entire engine with everything attached and install it as a unit - don't change any brackets etc unless you have to deal with AC, then things may be a bit more complicated. Pull the computer from the donor truck, as it will have the correct PROM for the engine and sensors you are installing. You might have to swap the wire harness, but I don't think you will from looking at the book.

10. chvymudin3388

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't assume it will just "bolt up" is my only advice. :)

Given it's a '91 truck, it's a different body style, (right?) and there are likely some differences in the injection hardware. If you've got the donor, it should be pretty simple even if there are a few differences.