Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

it won't start...help !

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by riz, Sep 20, 2000.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

it won\'t start...help !

I finally got my timing set on my new motor and took it to the local tranny shop to help with myt kickdown cable and when I went to leave it wouldn't start. Everything but the starter in there is new so I'm boggled. We put it on a big charger but it didn't do any good. It has a brand new battery. It doesn't want to turn over at all. Any ideas ? What things should I check ? I have to go by there on my way home tonight to see if I can get it going so fast replies would be appreciated. Thanks.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Re: it won\'t start...help !

Check your ignition wires. Does the radio work when you turn the ignition on? Or, your starter might not work.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

3. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

If it is not doing anything(clicking)check the ignition lead on/to the starter selnoid.Does anything else work?

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Well if everything else is new, it must be the starter !
    Assuming the new parts were installed correctly, and they have not failed prematurely.
    Good luck

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

ONE AFTERNOON AFTER WORK I WENT OUT TO START MY BLAZER. IT WOULDN'T TURN OVER. BOTH THE BATTERY AND THE STARTER WERE NEW. I LOOKED AND BOTH BATTERY CABLE LOOKED A LITTLE CORRODED LOOKED GREEN BUT NOT HEAVILY CORRODED. I SIMPLY CLEAN THE POSTS AND THE BATTERY CABLES WITH A LITTLE BAKING SODA AND WATER RECONNECTED THE WIRES AND IT FIRED RIGHT UP. IF THERE IS TOO MUCH CORROSION THE ELECTRICAL FLOW CAN BE DRAWN OUT OF THE BATTERY TO OPERATE THE STARTER. IT IS A SIMPLY FIX AND SOME PEOPLE MAY OVERLOOK IT WHEN HAVING A NO START PROBLEM.

DAZED AND CONFUSED IN A 74 BLAZER

ZEPPELIN

6. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Does the battery seem to work? Do the headlights (look bright), radio, domelight, etc. seem OK? If the battery seems alright I would get a test light and see if you have voltage to the starter, also when you are in the start position, the little wire. Also check out your cables and make sure that they are tight and not corroded, you do have the ground on the block, right. Check out the solenoid and see if it is loose, there is also a ground on there (the copper wire). - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Could be the bearings in the starter, if the cranking has been getting slower for the past few starts. My 89 did this, kept getting slower and slower, and finally would do nothing not even click. Symptoms were the same as dead battery. Replaced it, was fine.

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

First, let me say thanks to all the responses...I really appreciate it ! Now, here's what was wrong.... The lead on the distributer was off. That's it. I didn't notice it the night before because it was getting dark. I was poking around the kickdown cable and must have pulled it off. The clip is a little weak, so all I have to do is replace it. Lots of worry for something so small.

Thanks again guys ! Semper K5 !!

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Please tell us how the lead on the distributer, was perventing the starter from turning over the engine.

10. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

I got a better one, went out a hour ago, wouldnt start, stuck at work. Got someone to jump it, radio wouldnt even come on, still nothing, check cable damn whole cable comes off, post and all(side post), wtf. On my way to get a new battery and a wrench, guess is battery is too small, too much draw and melted the post.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

11. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I don't know how that did it but it did. It wouldn't start with the lead off and it will with the lead on. It would have to be the lead from the distributor to the battery. All I know is once I hooked it back on it's started ever since.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>