Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It wont start! Please Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Jul 19, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I am working on a friends all stock 96 2wd tahoe.

On sunday night she got stuck at walmart. It would not crank and would not take a jump. We took the battery in to walmart and had it tested, which came back good. We hooked the battery back up and it started with a jump. It ran great until this morning when tryin to start it, the starter clicks once and thats it.

Today we replaced the starter. It does the same thing. I took her battery out and put it in my k5 and it starts. I put my battery in her tahoe, same issue, no start, only on click. We have 12 volts at the battery and at the starter both on the 12 volt side and the ignition side. The cables look good. No corosion. What else could it be? Ignition switch?

Please help!

Dustin

2. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

sounds like starter or started selenoid (sp?).

though i think they are one in the same on those trucks. remove, test, replace.

3. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

just because it is a new starter dosent make it good, ask me how i know i once got three bum ones in a row:eek1:

4. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

i hade the same problem with my '98 tahoe 4x4. i also replaced the starter, stater silonoid,and battery cables. and that did not fix it untell one day it just stoped happening and now it works fine (knock on wood), but when that happend to me i alwaysed waited about 5-10 minutes without messing with it and then go to start it and it would usualy start.

and if that does not work tell her to turn on the egnition and get under the truck and put a wrench betwen the pos. and neg points on the starter. that got me home a couple of times too lol...... oh wait after reading that i dont think that is the safest thing to do man what the hell was i thinking lol

5. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

TTT for the morning crowd. I'm thinking either I got a bad starter from O'Riellys, or there is something in the ignition switch.

My friend mentioned that when she would turn her truck off before this problem started, the AC fan would continue to blow for about 30 seconds or so.

Related issue?

6. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

when you do the connection between the positive and negative terminals on the starter use a screwdriver b/c itll get dam hot realy fast.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

jump...

As suggested,I'd try jumping the solenoid,and see if it cranks normally ..if so,that will tell you its a wire or ignition switch problem,fusible link maybe--or a neutral safety switch issue..if it still refuses to crank when jumped,its a good bet the starter itself or battery cables are to blame...:crazy: