Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It wont turn off...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Dec 13, 2000.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

When I turn the truck off... it studders and tries to run then turns off. Sometimes it does it really rally bad... and sometimes not at all...

I want to mak this a easy fast fix...it's really cold outside...

Oh and how har dis the heater fan to replace???
    Mine died this morning... really cld on the way to work... :]

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Either try a higher grade of gas for a tank or two and see if it is an octane thing. This is usually caused by either low octane or a lean fuel mixture. Does the truck all of a sudden idle higher? If so take some carb cleaner and spray it around the base of the carb, or TBI if the motor revs you have a blown intake gasket. The heat caused by a lean mixture will cause the gas to spontaineously (sp) combust and that is why the truck tries to keep running. Until you find out which it is, leave the truck in drive until you cut the switch off that will make the motor stop. As for the heater fan, super simple. You need 1/4 inch nut driver or something 1/4 inch. under the hood on the passenger side is the fan at the fire wall. There will be a purple wire plugged into it and a few screws around the perimeter. Take the screws out and the fan is loose. Clean the leaves out of the hole before you install the new one.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

If you don't have time for a tuneup or whatever you need to do til you can fix it (if its dieseling) you can leave it in gear when you shut the motor off then move it to PARK

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Butch summed up the heater motor job rather well.......You might want to check your timing and see if it's too far advanced- that can cause dieseling as well.

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Idle speed on carb maybe too high. Also try higher octane gas. Check to see if carb is coming off fast idle.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Before you buy a new blower motor, check to make sure that voltage is getting to it. The primary cause of the fan not running is a bad blower relay. I've had several of them fail over the last 20 years, on many different GM vehciles. It's mounted on the firewall, looks sorta like a horn relay. If you aren't getting voltage to the fan motor, that's the most likely culprit.

Usually the first indication that the relay is going bad is that you'll get erratic operation between "Hi" and the lower speed settings. On the first 3 settings, the current flows through a set of resistors that limit current to the fan, thus slowing it down. On the "Hi" setting, the blower relay switches to direct mode and connects the blower motor directly to 12 volts.

I've only had 1 motor actually stop working because the brushes were worn out. All the other times it was the relay.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

8. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Sounds like timing. Putting in higher octane fuel will help but it is an expensive fix. Has it been tuned fairly recently? Might need plugs/cap/rotor and timing adjusted. Backing off the timing is the easiest/quickest fix if it is the cause. As everyone said, the real [​IMG] easiest fix is turn the truck off in gear, then move it to park.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

10. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I think it was the gas...
    I regulary use chevron... but the card expired so... I've been to am/pm..... I did the chevron things and it hasnt done it since... SO stay away from the am/pm sh!t...
    The Fan is making a grinding noise... I'll just replace it...

Thanks Guys...
    Never thought gas could do that...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

11. azjimmy

azjimmy Registered Member

I'm tending to lean more towards the timing issue, I've run am/pm gas in all my cars, off and on, and it hasn't made any difference one way or the other. Pat

<font color=red>Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!</font color=red>[​IMG]