Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Its a Ford but its powered by International

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by az88k5, Sep 13, 2006.

1. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

Well heres my Towrig. Its a 2001 F-350 with 156,000 miles, I added Dynatrac's free spin hub and spindle kit, D60 out of 03' F-350, Trac Loc front locker, 4.30 Ford gears, 6" superlift springs(roughest ride on earth, Like a 30's logging truck), 38' Michelin XZL's (5000lbs load rating each), personally cut front fenders to clear 38's, Dioblosport programmer, and one of those motorcraft tank like airboxs and filter (best motor mod as dust is bad in AZ). I also picked up a 180 gallon auxillary fuel tank thats main use is to recover and filter used vegtable oil to run as fuel, this is the single best upgrade for 97'-03' ford diesel owners as the powerstrokes injectors don't clog as easily as other manufacturers tend to, and your fuel cost is nothing as your "dumpster diving" for fuel instead of paying for it....

I have yet to add an ARB bull bar and warn 15,000lb winch for helping others, my broken trail rig, or my towrig out when it gets wheeled. I also need to do the tranny as it has that leaky main seal that makes it piss like a horse when its running hard. If anyone knows of a bullet proof replacement let me know......

DSCF0272.JPG

DSCF0273.JPG

2. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

Nice Ford. I expected to see Ford but powered by Cummins :D . I'd recomend Brians Truck Stop in AR. They build some awsome Ford auto's. Stay away from ATS. They suck.

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Isn't that kinda a given with the 7.3? I thought all 7.3 PSDs were built by Ford.

NOTE: That is a sweet set-up. Nicely equipment, with a firm stance. I like it alot.

If you get a chance, could you post up some good info on the airbox? I've been wanting to swap my stock box out, but I haven't found anything yet. TIA.

4. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

All I know is the airbox is manufactered by motorcraft for the 99 up f-350s. The filter is huge, and has a honeycomb design which creates more surface area to catch dirt. Each filter lasts me about a year, and unlike with a K&N I don't find dust in my air intake anymore. K&N's are also bad for mass air sensors as the oil can cause problems. The kit from ford is about $300, but in the long run its better than a blown diesel motor(used they go for $8k) if you plan on having it for a couple 100k miles. And in Az the dust is plentiful so any protection is good... Any dealer will have the info on the kit, and should have one in stock.

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I'm putting a wish list for what I want to do over the next year:

Replace intake.
    Rebuild Turbo
    Replace exhaust/downpipe
    Replace Y pipe
    Replace injectors

I'm sure I'll find other things to do as well:crazy:

6. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

r u talking about the filter out of the 6.0 stokers

7. Jefferson-Mo

Jefferson-Mo 1/2 ton status

Yes it is..........it's a bolt-on kit to use the 6.0 filter on the 7.3 trucks..........

I can get you guys a part number and prices on it(I'm a Ford Parts Dude)

maybe tonight--maybe tomorrow..........

Hey az88.............did you sell your 74 yet?

8. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

No you're kind of off track there. International builds all diesels FOR Ford. FoMoCo has nothing to do with them.

9. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

I agree I tend to get internatonal parts baggies when buying 7.3 parts...... Sorry ford could never have built a motor as good as the 7.3

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

congratulations you own a real truck... :wink1: :D

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I agree that the 7.3 is a good motor. It uses the CAT HEUI fuel system which works great as long as you feed it clean fuel and oil. Stay away from the 6.0. I've got one in my work truck and it's a fuel gusslin' dog. Also, to the member who commented on ATS...I'd be interested to hear your story. I haven't used ATS, but I thought about it.

12. apcon

apcon Registered Member

well actually Ford does have a little something to do with them. a 7.3 PSD is actually a modified T-444. Ford contracted International to take the existing International engine and build it to their list of specifications as far as what they wanted for perfornance and a number of other factors. The engines run OBD II automotive diagnostic software and the almost hilarious factor is most international dealers don't even have the proper breakout boxes to hook up a PSD in their shop to troubleshoot one. The same principal go's for the new 6.0 PSD which in a modified VT-365.

13. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

that is exactly what I was trying to say. Ford is a customer of International, they are built solely in an International factory not a ford factory. However Ford specs the engine has no bearing on the fact that they have nothing to do with the building of the engine. And I know the 7.3 is a 444 its a good engine, for a V8.

14. fairlane_68

fairlane_68 Registered Member

Not so. Ford OWNS International, or more appropriately, Navistar. It's actually more along the lines of Ford owns enough stock in Navistar to control it. They are a majority shareholder, like they are with Cummins. A few years back Ford sold it's heavy truck division to Sterling...another company in which Ford is a majority shareholder.

15. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Where do yo come up with this stuff. I you're got the stones to say Ford owns or controls Cummins. I'm not even going to respond to the rest........

16. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

17. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  18. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck