Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It's a sad day in the neighborhood

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Goober, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

It\'s a sad day in the neighborhood

I know, I know Mr. Rogers Neighborhood was pretty goofy but there were millions of us that grew up watching this guy every day. He wrote all the dialog and songs for that show for over 30 years.

How many of you know the words to "Won't you be my neighbor"? More than would admit it, I'd bet.

Eddie Murphy did a really funny spoof of his show on Saturday Night Live that was so funny that Fred Rogers went out of his way to tell Eddie how much he liked it.

[​IMG]

Sadly, Fred Rogers died yesterday.

Like him or not, Fred Rogers was a television icon who dedicated his life to teaching children and I think we would all be better off if there were more folks like him around.

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Re: It\'s a sad day in the neighborhood

Mr. Rogers died.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I dunno, for me, I'm bummed. I loved him and his showed! It was a piece of my childhood. RIP, Mr. Rogers.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030227.wobit0227/BNStory/Entertainment

Pittsburgh — Fred Rogers, who gently invited millions of children to be his neighbour as host of the public television show Mister Rogers' Neighborhood for more than 30 years, died of cancer early Thursday. He was 74.

Rogers died at his Pittsburgh home, said family spokesman David Newell, who played Mr. McFeely on the show. Mr. Rogers had been diagnosed with stomach cancer sometime after the holidays, Mr. Newell said.

From 1968 to 2000, Mr. Rogers, an ordained Presbyterian minister, produced the show at Pittsburgh public television station WQED. The final new episode, which was taped in December of 2000, aired in August of 2001, though PBS affiliates continued to air back episodes.

Fred Rogers composed his own songs for the show and began each episode in a set made to look like a comfortable living room, singing "It's a beautiful day in the neighbourhood," as he donned sneakers and a zip-up cardigan.

His message remained a simple one throughout the years, telling his viewers to love themselves and others. On each show, he would take his audience on a magical trolley ride into the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, where his puppet creations would interact with each other and adults.

Rogers did much of the puppet work and voices himself.

The show gained a wide audience among children and parents who appreciate its simple lessons and Mr. Rogers's soothing manner.

Mr. Rogers taught children how to share, how to deal with anger and even how not to fear the bathtub by assuring them they'll never go down the drain.

During the Persian Gulf war, he told youngsters that "all children shall be well taken care of in this neighbourhood and beyond — in times of war and in times of peace," and he asked parents to promise their children they would always be safe.

The series remained popular through the years, including with children of baby boomers who watched the show growing up. Its ratings peaked in 1985-86 when approximately 8 per cent of all U.S. households with televisions tuned in. By the 1999-2000 season, viewership had dropped to about 2.7 per cent, or 3.6 million people.

One of Mr. Rogers's red sweaters hangs in the Smithsonian Institution.

As other children's programming opted for slick action cartoons, Mr. Rogers stayed the same and stuck to his message.

"It looks like nothing much happens," Hedda Sharapan, an associate producer with the show, said in 2001. "Listening has been one of the main focus points."

Fred McFeely Rogers was born in Latrobe. He was ordained in 1962 with a charge to continue his work with children and families through television.

He studied early childhood development at the University of Pittsburgh's graduate school and consulted for decades with the late Dr. Margaret McFarland, an eminent child development expert at the university. The show examined the tribulations of childhood, including anger, fear, even a visit to the dentist.

At a ceremony marking the 25th anniversary of the show in 1993, Mr. Rogers said, "It's not the honours and not the titles and not the power that is of ultimate importance. It's what resides inside."

Off the set, he was much like his television persona. He swam daily, read voraciously and listened to Beethoven. He once volunteered at a state prison in Pittsburgh and helped set up a playroom there for children visiting their parents.

Mr. Rogers was an unseen puppeteer in The Children's Corner, a local show that he and Josie Carey launched at WQED in 1954. In seven years of unscripted, live television on the show, he developed many of the puppets used in Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, including King Friday XIII, Daniel Striped Tiger and Curious X the Owl.

Mr. Rogers accepted an offer to develop his own 15-minute show in Canada. He brought the show, called Misterogers, back to Pittsburgh and in February, 1968, began its public broadcasting debut.

Mr. Rogers' gentle manner was the butt of some comedian's jokes. Eddie Murphy parodied him on Saturday Night Live in the 80's with his "Mister Robinson's Neighborhood," a routine that Mr. Rogers found funny and affectionate.

Mr. Rogers leaves his wife, Joanne, a concert pianist; two sons and two grandsons.

March 20, 1928: Fred Rogers born in Latrobe, Pa.

1954: Rogers introduces The Children's Corner, a children's show in Pittsburgh where he works as an unseen puppeteer.

1963: Rogers accepts offer to develop his own 15-minute show, Misterogers, for the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

1968: National Educational Television, which later becomes Public Broadcasting Service, begins distributing the show, now called Misterogers' Neighborhood.

1985-86: Ratings peak for Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, as 8 per cent of all U.S. households tune in.

1991: During the Persian Gulf war, Rogers tells youngsters, "All children shall be well taken care of in this neighbourhood and beyond — in times of war and in times of peace" and asks parents to promise their children they will always be safe.

1993: At a ceremony marking the show's 25th anniversary, Rogers says, "It's not the honours and not the titles and not the power that is of ultimate importance. It's what resides inside."

December, 2000: Rogers tapes the show's final episode.

August, 2001: Final episode airs.

September, 2002: Rogers comes out of broadcasting retirement to record public-service announcements telling parents how to help their children deal with the Sept. 11 attacks anniversary.

Feb. 27, 2003: Rogers dies of stomach cancer.

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif What a bummer.

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I remember when I was younger watching him /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Trolley was the Sh!t!!!!

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Mr Rogers RIP
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Can you say, "Rest in peace", sure, I knew you could.

10. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Damn starting to feel older now
    Capn kangaroo and Mr Rogers.
    Now It's the Power Rangers and god knows what else.
    And just what the fu** are tele tubby's.
    I banned that one, too homo for me.
    Where did Wily go? Now that was some good stuff.

11. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I agree. I won't let my kids watch 1/2 the crap cartoons on TV now. We don't have any of that Barney "I Love You" stuff in my house...
    I miss the Smurfs, Gummi Bears, Flinstones, Roadrunner, Bugs, etc...
    What the hell is with this Rugrats show?
    I just turn on Speedvision when the kids want TV now...forget cartoons.

12. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Oh man, thats no good. As corney as his show was it was actually quality programming. You learned stuff and had fun and there was never anyone beating the snot out of anyone else.

13. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Wasn't really fond of the show,but,it always had good outlook on everything.There are a lot of show that could take lessons from it today.Never had to worry bout the things kids were learning from it.Condolances and best wishes to his family.One show I a;ways watched with the kids was Fraggle Rock.Would still watch it if it was on here. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Mr. Rogers was cool.

[ QUOTE ]
    One show I a;ways watched with the kids was Fraggle Rock.Would still watch it if it was on here

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved Fragle Rock when I was in HS, I wish it was still on for my kids /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

15. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i rember watching that show whith my brother. Realy sad that there will be no more. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

There was an episode of Jonny Carson once where Jonny was intrviewing Lee Marvin. Jonny asked Lee who was the bravest man he ever knew. Lee told Jonny that during the Battel for Iwo Jima he was going up the mountain where the heavy fighting had been taking place. As he was going up the trial another Marine was coming down carring a wounded Marine across his shoulder. As they past Lee turned and saw that the Marine caring the wounded Marine had also been shot in the back side. Lee then told Jonny the man was Fred Rodgers.
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

17. 87Blazerlady

87Blazerlady 1/2 ton status

Mr Rogers had the most calming, soothing way about himself. When my daughter, Alicia, was at preschool age she looked forward to Mr. Rogers everyday,,,,but,,,by the time it was time for the trolley, he had put her to sleep. I guess, for her, his show was like a naptime story. But she looked for him everyday. RIP

18. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Mr. Rodgers was a Godly and good man.
    He tried to show people of all ages a good way to live
    He brought a lot of good to the world.
    I have the deepest respect for him.
    His time on Earth is up now.
    His work is done.
    God has called him Home.

20. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Mr. Rogers was a great man and I loved his show as a kid. It really made me sad when I heard of his death. He was a good Christian and heaven is defintely welcoming him home.