Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ITS ALIVE! But I have a fuel leak, need part number for std flare filter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, May 19, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK here's the deal. Rusty Bucket was BAD! Fuel leaks at the tank and most of the return line was rusted through. SO I went the normal route using std flared brake line and flared fittings. Not really thinking about it too hard I stuffed a Std Replacement 87 Blazer O-Ring style fuel filter inline and plumbed everything off that /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif SO now I have a fuel line leak at the filter. Do any of the fuel filters use a 3/8 std flare line fitting? Maybe one for an older truck or are those all in carb fuel filters?
    (I think I used 3/8 fuel and 5/16 return /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif)

ANyhow I had to jerry rig a ground line to the battery(the frame IS THAT RUSTY I couldn't get a good ground), then I cranked it over a couple times, before it started I ran inside to grab the camera. So I have quicktime video of it starting , running and the exhaust leak (right click save tarage as). With just a couple cranks (less than 6 seconds) it started right up like it was running yesterday! An its been sitting for over a year!

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifPart numbers anyone? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Does this mean it will be at the Badlands Saturday?

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think my s10 fuel filter used a standard flare fitting. ill go pull it off in a few minutes and let you know. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif NOPE /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

see this pic
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

-No tailights (or housing for the taillights to mount too, I bought LED trailer lights to install)
    -Leaky fuel line
    -jerry rigged ground wire (and the sender still doesn't work /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I thought it was a ground problem at first since the pump didn't kick on, after the high tech wiring job the pump kicked on but the sender says I have 15/8's of a tank (IE its WAY past full).
    -notice the battery is sitting on a 2x6 on the front tire /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (also the radiator support is not even connected to the frame... there's a new radiator support in the bed that needs installed as soon as I find some bushing cups for the new poly bushings to mount to)
    -look inside the truck... there are no seats or belts
    and this winter there was a popping nosie coming from the drivers side axle ujoint... and i dont have a trialer to get it to or from (no tail lights too, or broken axle shaft from) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Hopefully the next run I will have lift and tires, OH and seats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

As soon as I get these 14bolt spindle nuts pulled off to remove the drums, the axle is ready to swap you this weekend. Did you get my PM about the carrier? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    i think my s10 fuel filter used a standard flare fitting. ill go pull it off in a few minutes and let you know. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

SWEET /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    The fittings for that type of filter are "Saganaw" fittings.
    16ml X 1.5 thread.
    They have them with the Saginaw fitting on the filter end and a flared AN fitting on the other.
    [​IMG]

Year One has them,13 bucks each.Part number DE39

7. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif The filter is not that big of a deal, if I can find one with regular flared fittings that cost $6-7 bucks I'll go that route. I had to buy those fittings for the front lines. I have as much in those two fittings as I did all the hard lines, flared fittings and the brake lines I replaced /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks for the info though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Just get two fittings that will turn your 3/8 flare to a 3/8 nipple fitting and get the filter off of a 90 jeep cherokee (#3641) it uses 2 3/8" nipples and a short chunk of 3/8 rubber line.

thats how i was doing the wagon til i got all new stock lines off a 91 in the yard.

9. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I know.Those specialty fitting prices are NUTS!!!!

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

its a oring style fitting, sorry /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. jjlaughner

What about aftermarket filters for race cars? Are they all rubber line barbed fittings also? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Maybe I just need to take a fitting and go try a bunch /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

racing ones I seen are AN fittings. When I was doing mine I tried every filter on the wall.

13. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    racing ones I seen are AN fittings. When I was doing mine I tried every filter on the wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats not making me any more hopefull /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Do you still have the original o-ring lines from the old fuel filter? If so you could just splice in those ends with a couple compresssion unions. It might look a little cheesy, but it won't leak and will be more solid that using rubber hose. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. jjlaughner

nope all the old stuff was rusted through. I snagged some front flex lines and bought the oring fittings for those ($16 each from car quest). The rear lines on the tank got the ends cut off and compression fittings put on there.
    There was nothing salvagable from the oringinal brake or fuel lines.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. jjlaughner

bump back to the top

Other than splicing in some rubber lines anyone else have a fuel filter idea?

Man I'm going to hate life if I have to buy $30 worth of fittings for a $4 fuel filter /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

17. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

After all you have done to that truck, your now gonna worry about 30 bucks to fix it right ? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    After all you have done to that truck, your now gonna worry about 30 bucks to fix it right ? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

$30 when you've been unemployeed for 16months is alot /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: ITS ALIVE! But I have a fuel leak, need part number for std flare filte

I know almost nothing of the old old Cadillac fuel injection systems. I believe they were around in the late 70's, and that was before the saginaw fittings you are having trouble with.

Since they were around before the saginaw fittings, perhaps asking for one of those filters (I kind of think those are going to be tough to find) will net you what you need? It's the only applciation I can think of that might hold some promise.

20. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

the 15/8's tank of gas aint much to worry about if the tank is full that is lol. My gauge reads way over full when i top it up. run it a couple days, then it drops to about a half tank. If its at a half and i add $5 (well 10-15 now lol) itll go up to 3/4 of tank. Its just a little slow at droppin lol.