Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!!!!......It's ALIVE....!!!!! Stereo Installation Completed !!!!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Greg72, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

!!!!......It\'s ALIVE....!!!!! Stereo Installation Completed !!!!

I just wanted to share my excitement with the list.....to Ryan, and PremBird, Esteban, LKJR, Triaged, and the others who have been following this thread.....which started out as a "Subwoofer Box Design" topic. The project kept growing and growing and I am happy to say that after close to 200 hours (yes HOURS) of labor, I was able to fire up the stereo for the first time late Friday afternoon.

.....all I can say is !! WOW !! It is by far the most powerful system I have ever installed (1600 watts) and the most complex installation too (Over 500 feet of cabling, and many custom connectors, enclosures and mods).....but the sound is SOOOO sweet! Having so much power available gives it such an effortless sound quality.....it's hard to describe, but as you start cranking up the volume you never get the impression that the stereo is really working that hard to keep up.

The speakers are still breaking-in so the sound will get even more "relaxed and natural over the next 40 - 50 hours or so, but it's already so great that I look for excuses to go driving just so I can listen to it.

THANKS to everyone who has been following the thread and offering me encouragement. It has been a real labor of love to keep this project moving, and at times it seemed like it would never get finished.....Oh, and by the way it's NO CONTEST, I can definitely drown out the sound of my big block with music now......I was a little concerned that I'd never hear the music over the engine !!!! [​IMG]

I will post the final sets of photos on Webshots so that you can get a sense of how the "complete" package went together...

-Greg72
    maybe I should call myself "Kilowatt K5" now? [​IMG]

2. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Re: !!!!......It\'s ALIVE....!!!!! Stereo Installation Completed !!!!

cool, looking forward to those pics

----------------------------------
    soon to have a blazer/jimmy

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear the news man. Its been a while since I had seen an update so I was kinda wondering. [​IMG]
    200 hours is totally believable. I spent a bunch of time doing the stereo in a Jeep I had a couple years ago. It had the coolest amp rack in the world. I also have to mention the 4 15's part...dang that was loud. Can't wait to see the pics.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Greg72

Hey Ryan,

Good to see you here again.....I was wondering where some of the "regulars" were on this Audio board....you and Prem seemed awfully quiet lately, usually you were always the first guys to jump all over any new topic that showed up here! [​IMG]

I am totally loving the new tunes....the deck is working great (have you found that manual yet?) and it's fun to just let 'er rip and watch the rear and side-view mirrors "dance" along to the music. Can't see a damn thing out of them of course, so I have to turn the music down if I actually want to drive somewhere and see what's going on around me.

I have probably another 50 pictures I can post....and I want to get outside and take some "Final" shots of everything and how it came out. As you know, when you build a "stealth" type system the final pictures don't really look like much because all of your hard work is hidden!!!! [​IMG] But I'll try to capture as much detail as I can of the completed setup so you can check it all out.

Keep checking back.....I will hopefully have some time later today to get the pics loaded into Webshots.

-Greg72

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

About time!! [​IMG] I wanna see those pics... !

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    &lt;&gt;&lt; PSALMS 23 &gt;&lt;&gt;

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I know man...I haven't been writing as much on this board lately. It seems that whenever I check the audio posts, someone else has already sufficiently answered the question.
    I haven't forgot about that dang manual. I've been going through old paperwork stuff and still haven't seen it yet. I'm surprised it hasn't popped up yet.
    Its kinda like starting a new engine for the first time. Seeing all that hard work finally pay off. I'm glad that Alpine is working good for you.
    I can tell you one thing though you might not have figured out yet. Its one of the only things that the instructions told me that I hadn't already figured out. Hold the eject button down for about 3 seconds. I think it turns the sub-out RCA's on and off. It was the first CD player I've seen that had more than one feature for the eject button...check it out if you haven't already. Sometimes when I'd listen to talk radio or a CD with dialog only, it was nice to quickly kick the subs off.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. Greg72

Ryan,

The one that messed me up the most was how to get the stupid "LOUD"ness button to turn off, and stay off by default. I think it was some combination of pushing the volume knob, and some other button at the same time but I don't know. Once I got it to stay off, I was happy. That one about the SUB-OUT signal is interesting, I only use the other two pairs for my configuration though.... Looks like the deck also had a remote control at some point, because there appears to be an IR sensor, and there are a bunch of commands printed in gold writing that appear to be "second functions" but no buttons to activate them?.....any insights?

Anyway it's good to see you back here. [​IMG]

-Greg72

8. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I was wondering where some of the "regulars" were on this Audio board....you and Prem seemed awfully quiet lately

<hr></blockquote>

Well I have not been able to log on for a awhile now... I do not have an internet connection at this time at my house so I cant log on unless i go to a friends/families house... But I just thought you all would like to know where i have been...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

9. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I was wondering where some of the "regulars" were on this Audio board....you and Prem seemed awfully quiet lately

<hr></blockquote>

Well I have not been able to log on for a awhile now... I do not have an internet connection at this time at my house so I cant log on unless i go to a friends/families house... But I just thought you all would like to know where i have been...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Good to hear you finally got it all up and kick'n. What did you end up doing to cover them (paint/carpet)? Now we can have to tunes blasting at Blazer-Fest! I need of tunes for my blazer : (
    She is getting jelous.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

11. Greg72

Triaged,

Check out the photos in Albums 2 and 3 on webshots (on the OTHER thread)....the boxes are carpeted in a simple black carpet, and I have now completed the trim pieces that hide the amps, and cover the "power station" and gas filler neck on the other side. Your "donated" trim strips have allowed me to build 1/4" panels and simply slide them in place.

The only thing I didn't really think about until the end was the fact that a ported enclosure will need to "breathe" on the port side. When I built the trim panels, I had to drill a total of 30 2-inch holes in each one so that the air could move in and out of the port easily. Boy, you should have heard those panels vibrate until I got those holes drilled! [​IMG]

If you want any help with sub enclosures let me know....I think I now know more about available space in a 1st Gen K5 than I ever wanted to.......

-Greg72

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

30 holes...is there anything left? Did you make your own gas filler neck cover or did you find one? I think I am just going to make one (it doesn't look that hard). The pics look great. Dare I ask how much $$$ went into the system?

Thanks for the offer on the sub inclosures but I am not sure that I need/want subs. How does this sound (a sugestion from a friend...I have no clue about this sterio thing). Hooking up the head unit from my s-10 (120W???) to a set of 6x9's in the doors (previous owner was nice enough to cut some BIG holes in them : ( and a amp run off of the one RCA that the head unit has to power another set of 6x9's in the rear (in front of the wheel well). I want to keep it all kinda water proof (she likes to go for a swim sometimes).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

13. Greg72

Dan (Triaged),

HAHAHAHA.....yeah with 30 holes there isn't much left. It definitely looks like a big swiss-cheese panel, but with the carpeting over it you can't even tell.

As far as costs....I'd rather not think about that. I did get quite a bit of the stuff on e-Bay which made it cheaper, but I did spend over 200 hours of my life working on it......but let's put a positive spin on it, with what I saved in materials and labor by doing it myself, I could by a brand-spankin' new Dana60 front and GM 14Bolt-FF Rear from Boyce with the lockers of my choosing!! [​IMG]

Not that it works that way, I did it myself because I didn't have the money to pay someone else and I wanted to have a little fun with it too.

As far as your own setup goes, I would recommend that you use the amp to drive the FRONT speakers and let the head unit power the rears. The slogan we were always taught is: "Front Stage, Rear Fill"...make sure that the sound appears to be coming from the front of the vehicle and use the rear speakers to create some additional ambience, so give a sense of bigness to the listening space.

The more power you run up front, the easier it will be to keep the image there. Also, I've seen the way you drive [​IMG] so you'd better keep that amp somewhere up high and out of harms way. I found a cool spot underneath the glovebox that would hold a smallish-sized amp....I put my crossovers there in my own installation. The 6x9s will get wet, but just make sure that they're a polypropelyne (sp?) type and it should not be a big deal.

If you have other questions, you can also reach me via e-mail. See my profile.

-Greg72

14. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Greg-
    congrat's on getting that stereo system going now!
    I know you have been working on that a ton, but 200 hours !?!?!? Damn dude.

Looks killer! I dig those boxes you built over the wheelwells. You did an awsome job with that system! I want to see it and HEAR it one of these days!

[REAL MEN DON"T CARE ABOUT GAS MILEAGE OR RAPID TIRE WEAR!]
    Ryan B.