Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Its all about the torque baby...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Topdown, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Ok... I am going to be rebuilding my 350 and want the most torque out of it I can get without building a stroker or a big block (cause I already know there is more torque to be had there) ... So, I figure Vortec heads, clean 350 bored .030, flat-top pistons... What intake? Cam? I am going to put TBI on it so no carb to worry about... Thoughts?

Right now I am thinking Edelbrock Air-Gap dual-plane but thats because thats what I have in the garage... is there something better? I was also thinking of the Xtreme 4x4 cams..

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well I would stroke your 350 or build a big block... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Sounds like you basically have it planned out already and I would say you have some pretty good choices there. I would use a regular performer intake but thats me. I would agree that the comp cams 4x4 line would be best. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Ive heard of ppl putting RV cams in an engine to get more torque. You could try that

Nick

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im going with comp 4x4 xtreme 12-238-2. 430 lbs tq at 2500 rpm /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Air-gap won't fit the Vortec heads, if thats what you were intending. (thats also assuming it isn't a Vortec Air-Gap)

For the cost of Vortecs with the special intake, you could get a set of better heads (World's, AFR's, Pro-toplines, etc) and use the Air-gap. Of course, I guess you could run a standard intake with a TBI adapter on the Vortecs, but that's ghetto if you ask me, when there are intakes already made for it, or another approach thats possible.

Cam you'll want something in the 112* LSA area, and not real radical. TBI doesn't like too radical cams (low vacuum is a real issue), and the less extreme the cam (to a point) the more low end torque you will make. All will be an inhibitor at higher RPM's, but for a heavy truck, low end torque will make you happy unless you like to race it.

A mild roller cam would be the best, but the cost is pretty prohibitive, unless you've already got a factory roller block.