Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

it's all about wheelbase!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rubbinz raczn, Jan 7, 2005.

1. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

what should it be?:grin: i would imagine this discussion would bring many opinions! the jeep guys say short the truck guys say long. this project will be based on a lwb 85 chevy truck. 52's front,63's rear 4"-5" lift. 39.5 iroks:xmas: :xmas: :xmas: by the way tim's offroad kicks a$$ thanks timmay! sheetmetal rub is not an issue. 1ton axles- doubler-1410 yokes and had shafts throughout etc! big question is before i start hacking:hack: what wheelbase is a good balance between short to fit tight spots and long for more stability? truck has the 131" wheelbase. since no box will be used a 115" to 120"plus wheelbase can be done. thats with the long springs front- rear:D approach-departure angles shouldn't be a factor since i will try to maximize those whatever wheelbase. is shorter better? no mud just trails and rocks!

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

My K5 is 117"

3. rubbinz raczn

and?:D

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

131"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. rubbinz raczn

happy with it? would-should you change it?

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

When I build the next truck I am going to use 110-120" wheelbase. I like the K5 wheelbase (106.5") but it is a little to short I think for wheeling. It is nice to be able to turn better then the longer trucks but the longer wheelbase is a little nicer for stability.

It depends on the type of terrain you wheel in on what will be best for you. There is pro's and con's to everything so find out what seems to work best in your area and go with it.

Harley

7. rubbinz raczn

117"-120" is easy for my swap, is that too long?

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I haven't wheeled it yet since I made it from 113" to 117". I loved it a 113", but pushed the front end forward 4" to reduce approach angle.

No matter what you choose for wheelbase, there are gonna be situations where you wish you were a little shorter, and some where you wish you were a little longer...

9. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

story of our lives:D

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Its all a trade off. Longer wheelbase is better for stability and some situations. Shorter wheelbase is better for turning and other situations. The problem with long wheelbase is that your break over angle gets worse with the longer the wheel base gets. Shorter wheelbase can be better for approach and departure angles depending on the setup.

For the wheeling I do in the AZ rocks I think a wheelbase of 110-115" with low approach and departure would be good along with a larger tire to make up for the break over looses would be about right.

Other places like Moab I think that a longer wheelbase in the area of 115-125+ would be better for stability on the hill climbs, so it is all dependent on the environment.

Harley

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm 119 and loving it. I don't care if I bash panels trying to turn. Better to do that than stare at the sky all the time.