Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It's ALL our responsibility

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Djroffroad, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

It\'s ALL our responsibility

Here is my first official move as a staff member in charge of Land Use issues.

As far as Land use issues go, it is ALL our responsibility to be vigilant about it. At our last meeting, I was unexpectedly nominated and voted in as a staff member in charge of land use issues. I did not ask for it, but I appriciate my efforts being recognized. I accept the position, but do not feel it should be nessicary.

It is all our responsibility and I ask everyone to freely post issues that come up. If I am the only one that watches for what the eco-nazis are up to and what congress is doing, our form of recreation will be GONE .

When you visit other sites, take a look at their Land Use forum. If there is information there that I have not touched on, PLEASE post for us to see. You do not need to be staff in charge of Land Use issues or get permision to post on the subject.

If you want to organize a cleanup, DO IT. You only need to come to me if you need help to organize it.

The one thing I definately need help on is letters to congress and such. I do not have a political mind and can use help in drafting sample letters to counter what the Sierra club and Green Peace send to our countries officials.

If anyone can help, there is a post in the Land Use issues forum of CK5 right now that needs immediate attention and asks you to send letters. Can anyone draft a strong letter to use as an example for those of us NOT so politically minded.

Thanks,
    Your Land Use manager......

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: It\'s ALL our responsibility

good post dan you do a awesome job at keeping us posted on land use issues /forums/images/icons/smile.gif could you post some links to websites that keep people posted of new issues?

3. Djroffroad

Some come from "off topic" forums of sites without a land use forum.

I have created another screen name to get info straight from the Sierra club and others. They don't realize they are posting to the enemy /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Here is a list of sites that have a Land Use page or forum I try to keep an eye on....

Of course CK5 has one...
    www.rockcrawler.com ... My favorite recource
    www.pirate4x4.com
    http://tellico.off-road.com
    http://www.freedom.org/prc/
    http://oohva.org/
    http://www.nohvcc.org/
    http://www.4wdriver.com/
    http://www.blueribbon.org/

If anyone has other sites that deal with land use issues I have not posted, please let me know.

4. mudhog

very cool thank you that shoud be a good start to help keep us informed /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Right on man! I totally agree that it is up to EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US to keep a watch on land use issues/restrictions. I may be able to put you in touch with a guy that can help w/ letters to congress (he used to be a congressman). He's a very nice guy, but he's still a politician /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif LOL!! I'll talk to him and see if he doesn't mind helping out once in awhile.

6. mudhog

that would be awesome find out what really gets there attention letters calls protests what?

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I think it'll be fairly easy to get him to help out. He REALLY likes my wife! He calls her the blond Zena. Why do ya think I married her dude??!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif He lives just up the road from us, so I'll have my wife drop in on him and ask for his help. I do know what REALLY gets their attention is strength in masses, petitions, eloquent letters and the such. We'll see what he has to say.

8. mudhog

very cool keep us posted /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Djroffroad

That would be great. The problems I have with writting is...

When there are things like proposed wilderness areas, the best argument I can make is that.. "I want to be able to wheel there." That doesn't hold well for an argument on it's own.

I welcome even politicians to help out. They are not all bad people. Some still believe in what America is about and are not driven out of self interest.

Green Peace and the Sierra club have lawyers and politicians working hard on their side. If we are to be successfull, we need some of our own.

10. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Another occasional source is the site for Ted Nugent, the ex-rock star. he is an avid hunter AND WHEELER /forums/images/icons/wink.gif and likes to be a part of this stuff, and will occasionally go to a area, and speak up for groups/causes. He has alot of influence in that area because he has done it for many years, and has the $$ if the cause is one he likes. Never hurts to try, but i dont know the link? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif he was here last year to help a group protesting something on forestry area banning for hunting.

11. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

I thought he died a few years back /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

12. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Very goog post /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Sounds like you know your stuff /forums/images/icons/cool.gif [​IMG] Great job...

13. Djroffroad

I don't know how well I know my stuff. I have yet to organize my own cleanup, but hope to by the end of summer.

Someone from another forum suggested Wildcat Mountain. I have been thinking about Squaw Mountain. That area is where I first started to wheel and is now completely shut down to OHV use due to abuse, but the trash piles are still comming. I don't think it will ever be reopened, but it would show that we care weather or not we are ever allowed back.

A cleanup should be easy to organize without having to pay for dumpsters. If the local forest management cannot help with disposal, a good PR person should be able to get a disposal company to donate to the cause.

Trail repair would probably be the hardest to organize. But still shouldn't be that hard. We just have to contact the proper forest managers again and tell them what we want to do. They would not like it if we did anything to the trails without approval. They would also want to make sure we do it right and in the best interest of the forest. They may even help out with heavy equipment.

One thing I would like everyone to watch out for is... Private propertyt owners that have been negativly affected by 4 wheelers. It would be a great opportunity to clean up and repair any damage done and restore the property owners thoughts about 4 wheelers.

There is a 16 year old in Alabama that contacts me on occasion looking for advise on how to start a club and other stuff.

He contacted me one day dissapointed that the only property that they can wheel on was closed by the owner due to damage.

I told him to take his buddies over there and offer to repair what they can even if the owner still won't let them wheel. Less than a week later he tells me that the property is once again open to everyone.

Weather or not his young group makes it as a club, they now have direct experience to their impact and responsibilities as wheelers.

So please keep an eye out for these type of opportunities. When a pissed off land owner gets contacted by the eco-nazis, the owner will probaby support anything they want. If we show that not only we care, but will do something about it, the owners will probably side with us when contacted by our enemies.

14. uglychevyZZ4

Here, maybe he is still alive /forums/images/icons/wink.gif lol 2002 Tour Dates

15. uglychevyZZ4

Here is another one that directly affects us all!!! Cle Elum - Table Mountain OHV Area, fifty miles of motorcycle trails and 100 miles of four-wheel-drive trails that are subject to closures. there is also a map of the area.

Click here if you give a hoot /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Well I did a little reserach, maybe I am wrong, not the first time, but I know he was or is really into,hunting, fishin, and land use rights. I could not find a link or info... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

17. uglychevyZZ4

follow the link i provided, or go to ted nugent.com, or use web search /forums/images/icons/smile.gif thats what i did.

18. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Did you find anything about his outdoor activism...But I know he is or was a outdoorsman...

19. uglychevyZZ4

thats what i said earlier up above /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

20. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Now that brings quite a visual to mind! Terrible Ted joining forces w/ a local off road club! Sweet!

Did you ever see his video where he is hunting in Africa I think?? His wife is being stalked by a big cat and instead of getting her out of there, he uses her as bait! After he killed the cat and she caught on to what happened...man..she kicked his @SS on camera!!/forums/images/icons/grin.gif It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif