Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It's almost here (and a THANK YOU to tunedportk5)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big94gmc, May 28, 2005.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

As some of you may or may not know, I have enough parts in my garage to build two trucks....D60/14b, 5.13's, 4.10's, detroits, spool, hydro assist, hi-steer's, D44/12b, TH350, SM465, NP203, NP205, two 350's - one TBI, the other getting turned into a 383 - adapters, linkages, a bunch of ORD stuff for leaf spring vehicles, etc etc etc.... A TON of shiat! But getting them together has been a struggle :o .

Recently I struck a deal with someone in California - to buy his already-built-and-running '73 Chevy that started out life as a K30 regular cab long bed. I couldn't build it for what I bought it for. I'm not proud that I bought it - I usually make fun of guys who 'buy-and-wheel', not 'build-and-wheel'. I believe in building your own truck. So, even though I paid this guy a while ago, and I've known I was getting it, I've not told anyone....mostly it's a pride thing. Anyway, this thing has been sitting at the shippers terminal near San Fran for nearly a month (since Apr 30), and it was finally picked up a couple days ago. The driver called me the day after he picked it up and said he was in Los Angeles at the moment, and should be to my house on this weekend. I can't wait!! Here it is getting loaded up on the flatbed (sweet rig, too....be a nice tow rig for weekend events :thumb: ) By the way, a very special thanks goes from me to tunedportk5....apparently he is the assistant manager at the terminal where this truck sat for nearly a month. He found me, and kept me updated about the vehicles condition while in DAS's custody. I can't thank you enough, Eric.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some more pics, that I've been sent throughout the buying process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here're the specs as I know 'em:

Crate 350, with Edelbrock carb
    SM465
    203/205 triple stick'd
    D60, open/14b, detroit, 4.56's
    Hydro assist
    high steering
    4 linked front, 3 linked/ 1/4 elliptic in the rear
    Sway-away coilovers up front, RS9012's rear
    3" body lift
    108" wheelbase
    grooved 44" TSL's on 15" beadlocks
    Warn winch w/ remote on front
    Duralined interior
    S-10 bucket seats

And probably some other interesting stuff I'm forgetting about. Now, I know I said I'm not proud of having a 'bought' truck, and not a 'built' truck. I plan to make this truck mine. I think the wheelbase is too short, and the truck is too tall. I plan on adding 10" to the rear, and maybe 2" up front. I will go to 42" Iroks on re-centered H1's. I will lower the center of gravity. The flatbed/tool boxes will be removed, making way for a full tube bed. The gas tank, radiator, batteries, extra storage, air tank, cooler, etc will be relocated to the rear. It will eventually get exo'd. And TBI will be swapped in. If all goes well, I will narrow the front end.

I will make this truck mine, and be proud to say it I built it the way I wanted it.

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Hell yeah, congrats on the truck Chris! I had a feeling you might have bought something but didn't know what. Post up a bunch of pics when you get it, it looks sweet!

Don't worry about the buying not building thing, of course we'll still rag you about it though. :rotfl:

3. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Congrats on the truck. Now where are you gonna wheel that thing at around here :D

4. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Thanks, guys....

And don't gimme any shiat, John! I know it ain't cool to 'wheel something ya ain't built, but I'll make it mine. So no raggin' me!

I don't know, David.... I sure as hell don't wanna go into Jones' with it. I dunno where, but somewhere.

5. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Too bad the tow rig didn't come with the purchase :D You could go wheeling anywhere in the country. You only live across the street from Jones swamp :grin:

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

So whatcha gonna do with all those other parts?

7. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Tell me about it....my thoughts exactly.

Simply put, I really don't know yet....

8. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

No one else is happy for me??? :(

*sniff*

( :D :D :D )

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Cool rig, and I'm happy for 'ya!

10. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Awsome.. that sucker looks suh-weeet. I would not worry about not building it.. I'm sure if you use it right, you'll have your share of wrench time on it.. ;) :D

Besides, built rigs have to go somewhere, if the PO is done with 'em. At least this ones going to someone who'll know what to do with it. As long as you have fun wheeling it, that's all that matters.

11. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Congrats on the truck.

12. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

that truck is badass!

i remember seeing it on ebay or something a while ago, but its still bad ass

13. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I can't wait to see it with a long wheelbase and no body lift....and 42" Iroks. :grin:

14. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

2 questions first what are you going to do w/ the beadlocks tires on there now b/c if your going to sell let me know about the beadlocks :D and if you dont mind me asking how much does it cost to ship that cross country

15. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Looks good Chris,

Can't wait to see it in action :waytogo:

16. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Good score!!! Sell me your D60

17. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I've seen that truck in person on the Rubicon. Very very sweet setup. Very clean too. I don't think I'd change a thing. Just run it... Good thing to have the built not bought mentality, but not so much so that you spend too much time building and not enough wheeling. :D

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i had a great experience with DAS when i shipped my buddy's '72 Firebird from Phoenix to Lafayatte, IN. knowing that tunedportk5 works for them just makes me feel alot more comfortable in dealing with them. my next project will most likely come from the southwest, and i look forward to doing business with them again.

great looking truck. i agree with you on the built not bought thing, but if i knew what i was getting into when i started building my K10 over a year and a half ago (have since sold it all off), and known that both Krazie87K5 and K5drager were going to sell off, i would've bought either one of their rigs. i had more in mine than what it would've cost to buy one of theirs, and it was still a better machine.

19. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I don't know what I'm doing with everything yet.... I'm still thinking.

Corey, I know you wanna see mine in action. I wanna see yours in action to, so get to finishin'!!!

I'm gonna spend a couple days going over the whole truck, seein' what I'm working with, and then 'wheel it for a couple trips - let the truck tell me what it needs.

20. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

And now it's in my driveway (well, in my side yard, actually).

:D

I'll post up some pics tomorrow - I've got a pile of dirt in my driveway that's just beggin' a poser shot.