Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It's always something.....or........screwed again....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, May 22, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

It\'s always something.....or........screwed again....

I damn near broke my arm patting myself on the back tonight after I got my Corp14ff bolted in. Had to chase down some u-bolts, but finally got everything hooked up. As I stand there admiring my handywork, and feeling mighty cocky, I decide to get a closer look underneath. Yep, everything looks perfect....but wait......what is this I see? *&^%$#@!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif the angle between the Gear Vendors OD unit and the Corp14 pinion is SEVERE!! Not to mention now the driveshaft will only be about 2 ft. long. CRAP! I'm thinking not even some angled shims and a double cardan is going to fix this one. That GV OD unit is a sweet unit but it adds about a foot onto the back of my NP205. Oh sure, everybody who has one loves theirs, but they are all tow rigs....... Well, back to the drawing board. Looks like I yank out the GV unit and live with the TH350 until I can save my pennies for a Bowtie Overdrive. Will the headaches ever end? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Re: It\'s always something.....or........screwed again....

[ QUOTE ]
    Will the headaches ever end?

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifNo /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

The short wheelbase will get you every time!

You know...a manual trans is a lot shorter...lol

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not in my experience. The adapter on the manual trans is so much longer that it makes up for the length and the differences between the auto and stick are very little if any. I just bolted my SM465 in place of a 700R4, and was amazed that not only was it the same length but the same shafts would work.

5. Desert Rat

Probably the only silver lining in this is the fact that the GV unit will be easy to sell. Lots of folks swear by them and I think for a pickup or a Burb they are a nice unit. For a short wheelbase, apparently not.

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about that....I have been there darn near every time I get under my truck /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It makes us stronger people in the end /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

What you doing with the GV /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I have a /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif that it would be great in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

whats this unit do ?

9. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

wondering the samething too

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it adds overdrive to your trans basically. Its a big gear unit that acts like the part of a tcase that lowers your gear ratio but instead it raises the ratio.

11. Desert Rat

It gives you an overdrive, but does much more. It also allows you to split gears. In other words, you can go from a 3 speed, to a 6 speed. For that reason, it is very popular for folks who tow stuff. When you get on a good grade, you have more options on gearing. Check it out here: http://www.gearvendors.com/ As soon as I get it out and all squared away, I will put it up for sale.

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

aw man,thats to bad.i thought about running that setup as well.I remember along time ago i asked you about the thing.i also liked the idea of more gears.I hope everything works out for you,best regards.jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    not in my experience. The adapter on the manual trans is so much longer that it makes up for the length and the differences between the auto and stick are very little if any. I just bolted my SM465 in place of a 700R4, and was amazed that not only was it the same length but the same shafts would work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just went from a TH400/NP205 to a SM465/NP205 and the shaft needed to be lengthened by a good 5" (also had to relocate the trans crossmember forward about 4 or 5")

I guess there's different ones, or the 700 is really loonnnggg (never seen one in person)
    -T

14. Desert Rat

Yeah, I remember the threads. I threw out a bit of a test to see if there was any interest on the GV unit when I had planned on getting a Bowtie Overdriver 700r4. I think if you have a stock Blazer, which mine was when I bought it, then you are fine. Or maybe a very mild lift. But with the 6 inches I put on w/ the 35's, the angle is just too much. I don't think it would be an issue with a pickup and a lift as you have a lot longer wheelbase. I really liked the ability to split the gears going through the Sierras on the highway hauling my gear, but alas, not to be. The money pot has run out for this year so looks like I will be living with the TH350 for this season, then doing the Bowtie Overdrive next year after all.