Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

its been a bad day

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shupach, Aug 25, 2002.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

so after spending a good amount of the morning cleaning up my garage, i decided to continue building the engine. My friend and i put in pistons 1,2 and 3 after i notice that even though i've torqued down the rods, they are on the journals quite loosely, wigglin back and forth. I also notice that the pistons arent too snug either. So my friend comes over, he used to race and build race engines, and takes a gander at my engine. We find out that the crank has been turned, therefore makin the journals smaller, and the cylinders have been bored, so now i have like a 415 instead of a 400. While the new displacement excites me, i realized i will somehow hafta coerce summit into returning my pistons for a new set that are bored 30 over, i will also need new rings and new bearing caps for the rods. its been an interesting day.

phill

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif That would confuse me because I wouldn't know wheter to be /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif or /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

me too.

4. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

Excitement and a little worry at the same time. I wouldn't know which one to except.

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The rods are supposed to move back and forth a little. Now not slapping all over the place mind you. If they didn't move, than you'd have more problems. Measure the crank and find out what size bearings to use.

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

If the crank was turned by a decent shop then it will be stamped with was it was turned to (10/10, 20/20, etc). This should help you find the right sized bearings.

7. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

ya we checked stuff out with the micrometer, the crank is .268, we checked the old bearings with the new ones and they were thicker. ill give summit a call tomorrow. i cant wait to pop the hood of the truck and be like ya its a 406...small block.

phill

8. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I could've been worse.........When I lived in Linden,Wa. I had the machinist do up my long block but not assemble it. I got it home and found out I had the right block but wrong rotating assemble........took a little bit of time to figure out that they gave SBC400 crank with .030 over 350 kit. That was all kool though I just had the machinist do up my block for a 383 stroker!
    Bill