Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

it's been done 3500 times, but we all LOVE mufflers!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Mar 29, 2007.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

I'm on the market for some mufflers for my K10.

I HATE glasspack raspy sound, and I think these new trucks w/ bolt on exhausts sound like crap. They all sound throaty but in an ugly raspy way, like a 1991 chevy lumina with the exhaust fallen off.

I want something loud, but I want a true, performance, deep rumble!

No snap crackle and pop, just something that sounds absolutely awesome.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Flowmasters are so overdone but overall I still think they are the best overall mufflers for sound.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It sounds to me like you should be choosing between a Flowmaster 50, a Dynomax Super Turbo, or a MagnaFlow. All of them are performance mufflers, and offer a rich, throaty tone without the "cackle" of a Flowmaster 40 or a glasspack.

I run both the Dynomax and the MagnaFlow, and the Dynomax is the quieter of the two. I can't speak for how the Flowmaster 50 sounds, but I do know it's a popular muffler.

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah Flo's are way overpriced anymore, but they just plain sound good. I have a fake Flo on my S-10 and at idle sounds like a small block. Dynomax soung good, had a set on my Malibu with a 468, but anything would sound good on that!! If you want it loud, get some 2 chamber Flo's or the fakes, and get the biggest tips you can fit under your truck. I used to set off car alarms with my 97.

5. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had dynomax on a big block buick that were quiet until I really hit the gas,then they sounded perfect!!! Just remembered that the car had a 3" exhaust too!:D

6. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

i run 3" exhaust with 40 series Flownmasters. i'm very happy with the sound. some call em Rustmasters but i have yet to see a set rust

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Hooker Aerochambers :whistle:

had one on my Camaro when i had it, was nice, had that "throaty" sound, but wasn't too loud either.

I have noticed you seem to get the "cracky, poppy" sound with pipes exiting the mufflers that are too small, keep the pipe size at around 2.5" and it'll pull the sound out of the muffler you're probably looking for.

8. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

My parts truck K5 has the best sounding mufflers on it. They're mystery mufflers though. Look like some kind of race bullet mufflers or something. Problem is they're 2.5" and my fresh truck exhaust is 2.25". Can I pick up a pipe adapter from 2.25 to 2.5" and just clamp them on?

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

YEAH,,,SURE you can,,,just go into your local Autozone and ask for one,,,:haha: :haha: :haha:

actually, yes, there adapters available at your local auto parts store. :D

10. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I have a magnaflow on my Blazer right now, makes the 4.3 sound good. Got a nice little sound when im acceling easy, yet sounds good when i hammer on it. I wish it was a little louder though.

Im probably gonna get Magnaflows on my K10 eventually. But im putting glasspacks on at first, due to the fact i wanna get it back on the road and 20 bucks a peice is ALOT cheaper then 200