Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Its broke!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MadIrish, Sep 4, 2001.

1. MadIrish

MadIrish Registered Member

Well, last night I decided to do a fluid check. Havent ridden the Blazer all weekend and cranked it up to warm up the engine. I dropeed it into drive and put on the parking brake. I let it run for about 5 minutes. Went back out and was going to pull the truck up a few feet and it didnt want to budge! I checked the brake and it was off, put it in reverse and it rolled. I am facing uphill so I pushed the brakes untill I stopped rolling in reverse, then gave it gas. It went backwards fine. I put it in drive, gave it some gas and it felt like the brakes were on. It barely moved.

Any ideas?

*******82 K5 All stock but wheels and tires, 305 4bbl, tranny? NP208*******

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Hang on a sec, did I read this right? You put it in DRIVE and then put on the parking brake and let it sit for 5 minutes that way?

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

3. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

just curious why you put it in drive with the parking brake on to warm up the tranny? maybe something i don't know about?? i'd cross my fingers and double check the ebrake. may have one or both of your wheels semi-locked up. block the front wheels, pick up the rear, take both wheels & drums off, if you can, and then try it in drive (WITHOUT 4WD ENGAGED) just a thought. good luck.

-Jersey

'91K5 - 350, 700R4, NP241, Flowmaster
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pages.zdnet.com/len1313/blazer>click here for pics</a>

4. MadIrish

I'll give her a shot tonight. Got a quote (just to be ready) of $800 for a rebuild with 3 year 30,000 mile warranty. Hope I dont have to do it.

5. MadIrish

Went out, crawled under it, pulled a little on the manual brake cable and it unlocked. So, now I gotta get it to a brake shop for an adjustment but at least it rolls!

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Two things 1-You trust your parking brake a whole lot more than I trust mine. 2-Why do it anyway?

Smitty

7. MadIrish

I was warming it up late at night. I have a kinda loud exhaust and it was idling high. I dropped it into D to lower the rpm. Then put on the parking brake. I'd have to do it eventualy to check the tranny fluid anyhow. Didnt realize it would bind the brakes.