Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Its CAM time again...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by high&liftedup, Dec 27, 2001.

1. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

OK.... Got the 350ci CRATE and Finally ready to install... BUT FIRST.... I decided to go ahead and install a RV cam... Alright all you expert low end people, whats the choice of cam & manufac. for this project. One builder likes the COMP. RV...
    Have a great & safe New Years...............

(350ci, all MSD, Edel. Q-Jet, Headers, Flows, K&N)

HE will always get you out of the mire clay!!!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Lots of guys like the Comp Cams exteme energy line of cams...I gave Comp Cams a call before I made my selection. The tech guys were very helpful and asked me a bunch of questions about my truck and what i wanted it to do. At the time the Extreme energy line hadn't been released yet and I ended up with the 260H which lived up to my expectations. I have a ton of low end grunt for a 355...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I think an even better question is, What will give me some grunt AND still let me pass the sniffer, i'm looking for a new cam too, any sugestions? i had an edelbrock in an old engine, and it did pretty well but could i get away with a little more cam?? Just a few more years until exemption, yay!

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Rene is right, I've spent a lot of time with Comp Cams on the phone running through scenarios for making low end torque/power. I'm building a 415 small block and recently purchaced a Comp CS X4 250H-11 which is a 206/214/ @ 0.050" with 0.288 intake/ 0.302 exhaust lift at 1.5 (I'm running 1.6's though so its a bit more on the lift). This was a step up from the all low end RV cam but still in the RV range. Give them a call and see whats right for you.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I just got my Comp Cams Extreme 4x4 cam on Monday. Just got my crate 350 yesterday. Can't wait to join the two of them in holy matrimony!

Anyway, I got the Comp Cams 12-235-2. This cam has 210 int/218 exh duration @ 050 and 447 int/462 exh lift at the valve. I am running a Edelbrock Performer intake, full length 1 5/8" headers, and 1.5 ratio roller tip rockers. After talking with some friends and with Comp Cams, this was as big as I wanted to go. I think it will be a great combo for my rig.

I got the "K" kit. This included timing chain, lifters, and valve springs (with their accessories). I couldn't use the factory springs with this much lift safely. If I had gone with the one size smaller cam (the 231), I could have used the factory springs. This kit complete from Summit was $275. For all the stuff you get and piece of mind (not too mention its easier to install the right stuff when the engine is one the stand than trying to replace something later with it in the truck because you wanted to save some bucks), it was well worth the money. Mine cam and other toys get installed next weekend. Carb rebuild is this weekend!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll see pretty much without exception, low end grunt is synonomous with high MPG and emissions legal cams. The "bigger" cam you go with, for all intents and purposes, you are moving the HP and torque curve higher in the RPM band. "Smaller" is usually better if your main usage is at "lower" (say 3500) RPM's.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

7. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

BorregoK5, your numbers on the lift are lobelift, not valve lift, right? With 1.6 rockers your lift is .461"/.483". And by the way, that´s an awful mild cam for a big 415[​IMG].

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Your correct on the lift Andreas. It is a mild cam but suiits my purpose for a temporary cheap cam. I have a stout th350 with an RV shift kit, a TCI heavy duty RV convertor which has a stall lower than stock to combat heat. The 415 is made specificly for low end torque and fuel economy at low RPM's, hence the cam (243 hp at 4300 rpm, 372 lbft at 3000)([​IMG] 300lbft at 1500 rpm). Additionally, I haven't smogged the truck since I bought it so it will need to pass emissions once and then I wont ever have to smog it again (local smog laws exempt residents exept when first registering a vehicle). The smog shop laughed at my current setup pulled from my buddies 68 camaro... it's radical cam would't have passed anyhow had the double pumper and torquer manifold made it past visual. Once smogged, I'll open up the breathing on the 415 and go with the retro roller 12-411-8 with 210/214 and .474/.474 (.506/.506 with 1.6 rockers). Final setup should make 426 hp at 5000 rpm and 481lbft at 4000rpm ([​IMG] 260 lbft at 1500 rpm).

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

9. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Retrofit roller, now you´re talking! [​IMG]. Actually, I´d take it one step further by going with 12-422-8 (Xtreme Energy 270 Hydraulic Roller). Specs on it 218/224 @.050" Lift with 1.5 rockers .495"/.502" Lobe separtion angle is 110 degrees. Also, that big bore can unshroud big valves really good, not to mention bigger intake ports. Good luck on your 415 !

Andreas

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have a 222/222 in the 350 thats in the truck now but the power band is too high in the rpm range for moving 5500lbs of truck without a higher stall (higher stall = hotter tranny fluid). Once I hit 3300 rpm then the engine gets some good motivation to the point of getting squirly on the lift kit. If this truck saw mostly street it would be all right but cranking 38's up a technical incline is going to need a bit more bottom end. What are you running in your 406, do you like it?

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://24.55.50.76:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

11. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

You can´t compare a 350 with a long stroke 415 [​IMG]. I run Xtreme Energy 274 in mine. Specs are 230/236@.050" .487"/.490". It´s a simple hydraulic, didn´t afford a roller setup at the time[​IMG]. The engine sits in the frame. Haven´t tried it on/off the road yet (and wont until I find a matching front axle). I might need 2500 stall with this cam but I´m gonna try with a stock converter before I buy anything. I run pretty high compression (10.14:1) because (a)the cam wants it and (b) we have high octane fuel at the pump here in Sweden. All the computer engine analyzers I´ve tried gives me 400+ ft.lbs of torque from 2000 rpm and up. Horsepower should be around 415-425 @ 5500 rpms. I run ported (guessing 185-200cc intake ports) ironheads with 2.02 &amp; 1.6 valves, headers, aluminum rollerrockers, Comp Cams Magnum pushrods, Performer RPM Intake and a Holley 3310 (780cfm). Either way I´m not gonna rockcrawl so I hope I´ll be allright [​IMG]

Andreas