Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Its cold and I need some blower motor help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Mar 2, 2002.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

So I'm driving down the street and the blower just kicks off. It was on high and it just died...but here is the weird part. The lower 3 settings still work fine. Its just when I put the switch on high that the motor completely dies. If a fuse blew, don't you think that all the settings would be dead? What controls just the high setting besides the switch. BTW the switch was replaced with a new one from LMC last summer. Any ideas? Thanks

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. calvin

calvin 1/2 ton status

It's your rheostat on the outside of your heater box. Change that and all will be good

<a target="_blank" href=http://irocz.cz28.com>http://irocz.cz28.com</a>
    79' Chevy Custom Deluxe shortbed K10, 396 ,pics on site

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

its the relay, the rheostat does nothing on MAX..

before replacing it, check the ground first.. the relay has its own ground and that is a real common problem

keep us posted

mike

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys. This afternoon I was able to get the blower back to normal...hopefully it will stay fixed. I took the resistor out and sprayed it down with some contact cleaner...jiggled some wires and pushed down on all of the connectors. Thats it and it fixed it. Probably just a bad contact somewhere, but if it happens again I'm going to replace the relay first.

5. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

i have same problem! where is the relay?

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Look for a square metal can (about 2x2x1") on the side of the A/C box in the engine compartment. It's got a 12 or 14 gage orange wire going to it, should be easy to spot. The relay cover comes off, and if the contacts aren't burned and pitted, you can take a business card and clean the plated contacts, instead of replacing it. HTH

7. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. Ended up not being that at all. The in line fuse connections needed a good cleaning with a wire brush.
    Thanks again

8. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

Sounds like your going to need a new motor ($18.95@Autozone). That was one of the symptoms mine had about 6 months ago. Mine wouldn't work on high and then started making this weird whining noise kinda like when your water boils in your ratiator after a thermastat stick. It finally puked last week. Very easy install.