Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Its cold out..recipe inside..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 87BrnRsd, Nov 15, 2006.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Well since its cold and nasty out tonight I decided to make one of my favorites: Navy Bean Soup.

Its very easy to do
    Youll need:
    3 (16 oz.) cans of navy beans.
    1 Large sweet onion
    3 Medium sized baking potatos
    1 Ham hock
    1 small cure81(or your choice) ham
    1 can of chicken broth
    some cerlery if you like
    salt
    pepper

Chop up the onion to your liking. Throw in the pot and turn the heat up. Add in some olive oil and a little soy sauce to flavor the onions. Simmer and add a little water. Next, dump all 3 cans of beans in and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Cut potatos to your liking...throw in the boiling soup. Dice up the ham to your liking and throw in; also throw in the ham hock and celery. Bring to a slow boil and leave covered (boiling) for about an hour or until the potatos and onions are tender. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Enjoy!

Its cheap, easy, fast, feeds about 6....and is great for those cold winter nights. One of my all time favorites.
    -Harrison

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

That sounds awesome!!!! Kim makes a similar deal with black-eyed peas, lentils and sausage chunks.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

oh i though it was army food, lol i am tierd i'll go now.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

It is awesome!:bow: And that plack-eyed pea, lentil and sausage soup sounds delicious too. Gonna have to try it some time.
    -Harrison

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I make mine with dry beans. I cook them with 2 smoked ham hocks and let that cook for a few hours. Then I add 1 large yellow onion 4 medium carrots diced 3 celery sticks diced and 4-5 minced cloves of garlic. Then I let it cook until carrots are tender. Sometimes I will add 4-5 diced jalapenos and a handful of chopped cilantro.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just so you know, Kim just made me print off your recipe. It sounds like she wants to make it for dinner on Saturday. I'll let you know what we think!!!

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Awesome! Im sure you'll enjoy it. You can also use dry beans but I usually dont because they really need to soak overnight. Let me know how you like it.:D
    -Harrison

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

The jalapenos sounds like a good idea. Ill add that next time I make it.
    -Harrison

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Just remember the finner you chop a pepper of any kind the spicier it will be, the heat is in the membrane and the more you chop it the more heat it will give off. So with that being said I chop mine depending on who will be eating it other than myself. If you want to get cocky try it with 2 habaneros but I would leave them whole or just cut in half, and only use them for taste unless your brave.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Mrs. Thunder just read this post and said " Its time for a good pot of beans:D "

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sounds good, it is definitely that time of year. I made my version the other day, too. I like to use Judion (Jewish beans) just because they are HUGE, but Lima or navy beans will work.

Soak them over night. The next day bring to a boil with a bay leaf and some fat back. Then reduce to a simmer.

While the beans are simmering, fry up some fresh sausage, when that is almost done drain off most of the grease and throw in a chopped up onion, and several chopped cloves of garlic. Sprinkle liberally with paprika and toss in some chunks of cured ham & cured sausage. When that is ready throw it all into the bean pot.

If I'm using small beans like navy I'll throw in some chopped up potatoes, too. With the Jewish beans I don't bother. Let it simmer covered for about an hour. Uncover and simmer until the beans are tender. Add water as needed.

You will have gas the next day, so plan accordingly:D

12. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You hav inspired me to make some homemade chicken noodles soup with homemade noodles :) yum

13. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Man, both yours and Corey's recipes sound great. Mmm mmm, colon blow.:woot:

John