Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Its Done! Check out the pics!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Alaskan85K5, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Alaskan85K5

Alaskan85K5 Registered Member

Here are pics of my sidepanels and new sound system. System consist of the following:

JVC KD-SH99 Deck
    2 - Alpine 3" up front
    2 - Pioneer 6.5" in rear
    2 - JL Audio W0 10" Subs in the back.

600 watt Jenson amp bridged pushing the subs.

I used clear silicon to make sure the panels where sealed to the truck. It
    sounds really good to my ears :-)

You can view the pictures here.

Blazer Here!

2. Alaskan85K5

oops. Here's the correct link.

Blazer Here!

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Look's good...

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>The darker side of nonsense...</a>

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Right on....! [​IMG]

The only thing you may want to do later is get some Dynamat (or equivalent) on that metal surface behind the sub. My guess is that when it's POUNDING....there's a lot of panel vibration. My guess is you could hear it from the outside of the truck.

That will clean up the sound on the inside too once you get around to it.....but for now, just enjoy it!

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

where you put your rear subs is where I want to put my rear speakers in order for my rear passengers to hear the sound coming from the rear also.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

6. Alaskan85K5

Greg,

Ya I wanted to use dynamat buy I had alot of the felt left over from covering the panels so I used the left over felt to cover the inside metal. It works pretty well actually. I don't get half as much panel vibration as before. I'm sure dynomat would have worked better but for the cost I thought I'd try just using the spray glue/flet wooked good enough for my needs (for now) :-) Thanks for the suggestion though!

Check out my K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jeremias.net/photoalbum/?path=The%20Family%2FJasons%20K5%20Blazer> Blazer Here!</a>

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Looks real good !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Greg,

What if you put some foam over the speaker to make sort of an enclosure on it? My dad has alot of this grey static foam stuff from work. Its used to pack his circuit boards. If you put that over it would it mess up the airspace on a 10 " or 8 " sub? I was thinkin about doiun that on my side panels. I already put it over my 6 x 9's. i left some room around it for it to move and it sounds good. I was thinkin about addin in some base I just dont want a lot. Some songs just need it.

thanks
    Nathan

did you get your pm?

9. Greg72

Nathan,

Foam is for solving a different problem. It won't stop "rattles".....what you need is a DENSE material that can be bonded to the thin metal to increase it's resistance to vibration. The foam won't do that.

Foam can sometimes be used as a "sound absorber" for catching high frequency reflections (like from tweeters!) but it will be almost useless for low frequency stuff.

Polyfill stuffing can be used in sub enclosures to provide an "apparent larger box" type of damping to a speaker. If you built a box that was supposed to be 1.0 cu ft, but it only came out to be .85 cu ft....you can stuff it with a few pounds of polyfill to make up the difference........up to a point. From what I've heard maybe 10 -15% effect total......so don't expect miracles. You gotta build the box right, from the start.

[​IMG]

-Greg72

<font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Greg,

Well I thought i had a good idea. I guess I will get some dynamat stuff. I got the idea from some magazine I was flippin through at wal mart where these people cut out the bottom of their trunk to put bigger subs in. They had a formed foam box thing to protect it. I dont know what it was, but definatley more dense than the stuff my dad sent me to play with.

I looked at your speaker box table, and saw a 10 needed 78.5 cubic in of space. Does it have to be in any specific shape? I could wrap it all over the inside of the sidepanel to get that. I just didnt know if the funny geometry would mess it up.
    thanks for all the help
    nathan

11. Greg72

Nathan,

NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO....!!!!

Sorry for the confusion.....that table is not the enclosure volume! That represents the "surface area" of the speaker. It is showing you how much area inside a speaker cone you have to PUSH the air and create sound pressure. [​IMG]

The idea is to compare for example two 10" subs in a sealed box (which gives you 157 sq in of area) to a single 15" sub which has 176 sq in.....you can see that a single 15" sub will have more available "surface" to push the air with.

It would be nice if sub enclosures could be as small as what I had in that table though....!! 78.5 cu-in is a box that's only 4.25" x 4.25" x 4.25" !!!!!!! MAN, at that rate, I could fit a LOT of speakers in my K5! [​IMG]

Seriously though, I hope that makes more sense....if all I'm doing is confusing you with that table, I could just give some specific examples of things that you could probably do in your truck sub-wise.

-Greg72

12. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    OK you lost me. I understand what the table was for now. I was wanting to put a small sub in my side panels. I dont want it to be protruding. I want to keep it flush. I was brainstorming on how to put it in there. I thought i remembered you saying a sub had to have a box and airspace or something. i looked through the crutchfield catalog today and the smallest sub I found was an 8" that was 3 3/4" deep. That would fit, but I wasnt sure about the enclosure part. I dont want it to hit hard, just have a little there.
    nathan

13. Greg72

Nathan,

You should check out the pics that are posted by Chris (1986Blazer)....he's been building side pods for his truck for an 8" sub, and it should fit really well into the side area. Not TOTALLY flush, but close.

If you can't find the link let me know and I'll send it to you. [​IMG]

-Greg72

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    I found that link and went and checked it out. It looks pretty good. Where do I find out how much airspace I need for a 8" or 10" sub? I want to do mine like alaskan85K5, but I dont want to silicone the side panels. I do too much tinkering to do something like that where I would have to leave it alone. Also when you made your side panels 2" shorter than the bed walls how did you secure it to the wall? I feel like there are two sheets of metal there, but I wont go stick a screw through it to find out.
    thanks again
    nathan

15. Greg72

Nathan,

The amount of airspace will depend of the speaker itself. You'll need to get the information off the manufacturers website. JL Audio is really good with that stuff....they'll give you 3 different box designs for "sealed" and 3 for "ported" depending on what KIND of sound you want!

There are TWO walls in the side bedrail area....you don't want to use an excessively long screw (obviously) so if you are securing a 3/4" piece of MDF....try to use a 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" Drywall Screw. There won't be any strength added by using a longer one, and you will risk hitting the "outer fenderskin"

So you're BACK on Feb 15th?....that'll be a good feeling, eh? [​IMG]

-Greg72

16. Alaskan85K5

Nathan,

Just my 2 cents. First unless you find a Sub that is very "short" (possibly an 8"?) you will never get it to be completely flush with your sidepanels. If you look at my pictures you will notice there is a black ring in top of my panels. The Subs are then mounted to this black ring. I had to do this in order to get the JL W0 10" Subs to fit in my panel.

Next thing is you have to really think about what sort of sound you are trying to accomplish. I can tell you that there is no way in the world that my sound system has anywhere near the sound quality of Greg's sound system. There are several reason for this of course, but the biggest reason is I didn't "tune" my system to the extent Greg did. He did all the calculations and work to make sure his speakers were in the correct sized enclosures.

Having said that, my system doesn't sound bad. In fact it sounds really good, I've showed it to several people who have boughten subs and pre-made boxes. In every case (6 cases so far) they prefered the sound of my system to there own. This in itself could be due to a number of things, crappy equipment (ie cheap speakers), oversized boxes, undersized boxes, etc...

This all goes back to what you want. If you want a "competition" level sound system. You aren't going to get it by making sidepanels, with a sub in it. I don't care what size or brand the sub is. It just won't happen. In order to get that level of sound quality you will have to sacrafice space. Look at Greg's system as an example, he built exellent boxes and they work well in the space he put them. I really wanted this, but I knew I couldn't build it. In the end I decided I didn't need that level of sound quality, I'm really pleased with what I have.

The toughest part about the side panels is getting a good seal. I used clear silicon to get the best seal I could possible. Once the siliconing was done it really does sound good. Also I'm lucky in the fact that JL audio subs work well in alot of different configurations. I've also seen many people use MTX subs in the side panel, from what I've read they have good results.

Anyway, to boil it down you have to decide what you want. If you are looking for a good sounding system. I can honestly tell you that what I did sounds really good, very much above average. If you want a EXCELLENT sounding system, you have much more work on your hands. Good luck and make sure you post some pictures when its completed! :-)

-Jason

Check out my K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jeremias.net/photoalbum/?path=The%20Family%2FJasons%20K5%20Blazer> Blazer Here!</a>

17. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    Dude sorry it took so long to get back to ya'll. Whats been up with the site??? i haveny been able to get onto the forum for like 5 days. Its not the gov computer that i'm using. SHHH!!!! Other websites work fine.Anyhow enough complaining.

I looked on the website like you said and found out what i needed to know. Its gonna take some careful measuring to build a box on yhe back of the panel, but I can make it happen. I will just have to shim it up a little like alaskan85K5 did.Thanks again for all your hrlp.

Oh yeah I'm going home this friday instead of the 15th. I cant wait. i miss my dog, and my wife. She'll kill me for puttin her second. I cant wait!

Thanks again
    Nathan

18. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Jason,

Thanks for all the info. I am going to shim up the speaker like you suggested. I think I am going to build a box in there somehow. Greg told me where to get the specks for the box. I might end up just siliconing it like you. I'm not sure. I'm like you and not terribly worried about having a competition sound system. I just want a good sound it doesnt have to be perfect. And I will definatley post some pics when I do it.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Nathan

19. Greg72

Nathan,

Yeah, the site is seriously "hosed".....

Steve Fox exceeded his space allocation on the "leased" server, so they made him move everything onto his own personal machine or pay a HUGE amount of
    extra money every month.

He built up a new server but it didn't have enough RAM and it kept crashing and slowing down. Then he seemed to have things fixed yesterday....but
    announced that he was building an even FASTER machine with even MORE memory.....so my guess is that is what's messing things up now.

Hopefully things will be back to normal by the end of this weekend.

Did you know that TODAY is my 1-year anniversary of K5 ownership? Exactly one year ago today, I was getting on a plane to fly to Oregon (with $7000 in
    cash in my pocket!)....I got the K5 and started driving it back to San Jose....611 miles, with a REALLY big smile on my face!

Anyway....I was going to post that on CK5 today....it would have also been my 1000th post since joining the list! But it looks like it'll have to wait!

Good to hear from you and I'm glad to hear you'll be back safely and a little earlier than expected!

Keep in touch,

-Greg72