Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It's done!!!!!!!!!!!!/ got my dana 60!!!! long

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowK20, Jan 21, 2003.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It\'s done!!!!!!!!!!!!/ got my dana 60!!!! long

well guys I scored big this weekend I went to my grandparents This weekend about two hours from here .My granpa said he Knew a guy with 2 3/4 ton 4x4 chevs 1 wrecked and the other with a blown 6.2 . so we jumped on the fourwheelers and rode over to the guys house The first one was a 86 k-20 6.2 700r-4 np-208 4.10 gears FF 14 bolt(Swapped in???? has 56" rear springs )silverado power every thing 56000 miles and brand new 315-70-16 bfg mts on alcoa rims The second truck was an 87 K30!!!!! F.I.454 sm465 Np205 scotsdale with A/C and cruise but it was rolled over on the passenger side waded up the cab pretty bad but from the looks of it no damage to the frame it has like a 10 foot flat bed on it but doesn't go with the truck The guy who owns them is in his 80's and bought both trucks new (the k-30 has 47000 miles ) the glow plugs broke on the 6.2 and grenaded it and his grandson rolled the k30 he has maintenac records since both trucks were new Both trucks were/are in like new shape. Well anyways he wanted 2500 for both I offered him 2000 and he said no so we went back to my granpa house kinda diappointed About 2 hours later the old man calls and said 2000 if I could have the money that day so I hauled ass to the bank and got the money out of savings and hauled ass back and paid him a then we hauled both trucks back to my granpa's place man i'm so excited about this deal can't wait to start workin' on both of them /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Got my Dana 60!!!!!! LONG

Dude, You got a screaming deal! I wish I could land something like that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. yellowK20

I know I lucked out big time i'm glad he took 2000 cause that's all I had in savin's i'm gonna but the engine trans and t-case from the K-30 and put it in the k-20 the dana 60 is going in my yellow K-20 after I buy 5.13 and a detroit locker for it the cool thing is every thing works on both trucks It's like havin' a brand new truck sucks that I gotta drive 2 hours to work on them but when the k-20 is done I'll have a damn good tow rig / daily driver can't wait till next weekend /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Shoot rent or borrow a trailer and drag them down to your place, if you have the room. Either way good deal.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

rock on. somebody to share the excitement with. i got my D60 on friday. out of a 85 K30 SRW.
    good luck with it.
    grant

6. yellowK20

I probally bring the dana 60 home with me this weekend so I can start on it .ordered the gears last night Locker is gonna have to be later Damn expensive I'd like to pull boyh trucks to my shop but if I leave them at granpa's I have more incentive to get it done Quicker Plus I'll have some help /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. yellowK20

Ok guys Just got done talking to a guy at work he has a 83 K30 with a NV4500 and 205 he wants to trade the His trans and t-case for the 700-r4 NP208 out of my new K20 And the frame ,front clip, and rear end from the K-30 I was planning on putting the complete running gear from the K30 in the K20 (Motor trans and t-case)does this sound like a good deal???? He wants an auto because his wife can't/won't drive the 5-speed He wants to trade the drivelines also between his and mine so it'd be a complete swap How much do those 5-speeds go for all my stuff he wants to trade for is in excellent condition Do you guys think it's a fair trade I sure would like to have that 5-speed but I don't want to get screwed either This guy doesn't do deals in less it's in his favor /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure, but don't you mean NV4500? If so, I'd say go for it, make the trade. Around here, an NV4500 out of a wrecking yard goes for 1200+, if you can find one!

9. yellowK20

Yes sorry I did mean 4500 I was looking at advanceadapters ad in a mag when I wrote That. 1200 Dollors!!!??? wow See thing is a 700r-4 CORE is like 750 A good one is like a thousnd the shop in town charges 800 to rebuild them out of the truck How reliable is a nv4500 compared to a sm465?? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

You're one lucky fella!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    I'd jump all over the nv4500 trade, like right now!! that deal is in your favor...imagine the 465 with an OD...I'll trade you another auto for the 4500 if you don't want it! They go for over $1200 around here in a junkyard. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. yellowK20

I'm gonna trade him I wasn't Gonna use the 700r4 and 208 or the frame or front clip But the rear I wanted to keep It has a locker in it oh well I can always get a locker Did thoese five speeds ever come with a chrome Shifter????? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I have no personal experience with the NV4500 (but I'd like too!), from what I've read and heard, they are every bit as stout as the SM465. I think I heard something about earlier versions having some sort of problem with 3rd gear, but I'm not sure. If I could afford the NV4500, I know I'd put one in my truck. There was a guy on this site, haven't heard from in awhile, named tlarsw, that had a NV4500 hooked to a doubler. Maybe you could PM him.

13. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

NV4500 is a pretty stout trans. I'm running the earlier version with 6.34:1 low and have had no problems with it. Shifts much better and quieter too, then the 465 trans it replaced.

14. yellowK20

That's what I wanted to hear guys If its as tough or tougher than a sm465 what's firt gear in a Sm465 ? this NV4500 trans came out of a 2000 dodge Cummins So does it have the same 1st gear as the earlier ones ???? I'm leavin at Noon today to start workin' on the The k20 I'll bring the 700r-4 and 208 back with me on sunday That guy pulled his trans and t-case last night and is bringing it buy my house this afternoon Can't wait to get this thing put together Gramps pulled the the 6.2 and the trans and t-case out of the K-20 and started putting the clutch pedals and steering column from the K-30 I'll put the big block in today and start swapping Wiring harness over Should be fun /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Man I can't wait to get this thing done Girlfriend is P!$$ED cuz I'll be gone again all this weekend and all next weekend Also /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifBut I figure she'll get over it Wish me luck guys /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Take the GF with she can hand you tools. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. yellowK20

She has to work both days this weekend Besides It'll be nice to get the break Taking off right now See you guys later /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

The SM465 has a first gear ratio of 6:55. Early versions (1993&94) of the NV4500 had a 6:34 first gear, after this they changed to 5:61, which is still respectable. If it came out of a 2000 Dodge, it'll be the 5:61, according to what I've found. Novak Conversions website does a nice write-up on both trannies, tells ya everything ya need ta know. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. yellowK20

well I got alot done this weekend Swapped the K30 harness into the K20 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif that was a pain took me 7hrs Friday and about 10Hrs Saturday But it looks good Looks just like stock The pedals are in and we pulled the seat and carpet out so we can cut the Floor for the 5-speed next weekend /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Pulled the big block sunday and put it in the K-20 wired every thing up and changed the oil put the 4-core rad from the K-30 in the K20 and filled it with that new premixed coolant I also installed a dual oil filter setup that takes the extra big Fiters and an oilcooler added about 5 quarts more oil to the system I run delo400 so I'll change the oil every 4500 miles instead of every 2500 like I do on my other trucks (They both get Mobil 1 synthetic ) also swapped the fuel tanks lines and pump So now all I need is to do is put the trans t-case and interior in it And then decide what to do about the exhaust I'd like to run headers and true duals With 3inch 2 chamber 40-series Flowmaster and 4" x 24" Echo chambers like my yellow K20 has But can't figure out what to do with the Oxygen sensor ( the K30 had single Exhaust ) any ideas the truck is emissions exempt ( Titled as a Diesel /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) so I don't have to run cats This is my first TBI truck so any tips you guys can come up with would be awesome Man I can't wait till next weekend so I can get the tranny in it and fire it up got home last night about 1200 and the NV4500/np205 was sitting on a pallet in my front yard brought the Rear end trans t-case and front clip to work with me today he's comin buy here to pick them up (Used his trailer to haul it ) as Soon as I get the the cab stipped of the frame I'll give him the frame and haul my dana 60 Home /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Guys I can't wait to get this thing done The t-case in my K10 is acting up again Makes an awful howl when coasting (Under power it sounds fine-chain slap??? )Sorry this is so long /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. yellowK20

does any one Know of a factory big block TBI truck that had dual exhaust I know there was a heavy duty emissins package on my uncle's 85' K20 carberated 350 that had dual smog pumps and dual exhaust Did they ever do this with the TBI trucks ????? If there is such an animal I'd like to try To get the computer so I could Have an O2 sensor in each Pipe Any Ideas??? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

My '95 c3500 TBI 454 has single exhaust stock. Just run 2.5" pipes into a Y and 3" to 4" pipe and muffler the rest of the way.