Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

its getting real dark, is it my card, or monitor ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Aug 17, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

uhm so i been running this old 8 meg vanta LT vid card and this old EV500 gateway monitor virtually non stop since early 2000

ive turned contrast and brightness up to 100 and well its getting really dark, and darker now, like real dark/dim, soemthings dying

what do you think ?

thanks

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

prolly the monitor going away

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

one of my old moniters did the same thing. put a new moniter on and has been fine ever since

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I would say monitor.

5. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Take off your sunglasses!!!! :haha:

Sorry, It's getting late here and ...

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd say monitor. I don't know the state of business around you, but around here, you can get a decent sized new monitor for free.
    I just upgraded a bunch of people here to flat panel displays, so I have something like 20 perfect condition monitors to get rid of. I've been giving them away to people left and right.

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I agree with those who said Monitor as well.

I went to a 19" LCD and will never go back to tube monitors. The desk space alone is worth it.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Funny you have the same problem I have. I thought I was going nuts since I asked the wife if she thought the monitor was getting "darker" and she said no. Had to adjust the contrast and brightness up to 75 so far. Sure hope its not the monitor yet. :doah:

9. diaedy

diaedy Registered Member

Definately monitor. You can get a new one if ya don't have to have lcd for about 75.00 and that be for a nice 1. They have come way down

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

welp i swapped out card for 3d rage pro and that changed nothing, so i busted out this new and bigger hp pavillion v70s monitor that i had stashed away and forgot about and never once used, and WOW its SO bright and colorful! ive turned it all the way down and its still freaking bright as hell! welding glasses needed,

i have no idea how im gonna get used to this....

whole different world now, damn, the blue in the background on this forum, its actually BLUE, lol! i had no idea! and the white everywhere, its really actually WHITE, lol..

and so yeah the gateway monitor is toast.. RIP, ill take it to work friday AM first thing and its new home will be the dumpster there :P

hum

K30, yeah if its getting darker and darker over time then its probably same deal, mine took its time dying, over a year, so slowly i never noticed it really til it got really dark lately, i had no clue just HOW dark it was, heh

thanks

11. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Time to put those sunglasses back on! Glad you're sorted, and at no major unnecessary expense. :cool:

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

monitors galore at the dump...

I helped a guy bring some wood leftover from his deck construction to the dump in his town today--you would not believe the amount of TV sets and computer monitors there!--they had a tractor trailer body FULL of them!...and they charge 25 bucks to dump them! :eek1: ...and you can take all you want free,but remember,if you go to dump them again,its gonna cost 25 bucks again! :doah: --hows THAT for making the town money--from trash!

I know where I'm going when my monitor croaks--the "exchange" pile at the dump!. :haha: .(I bet 90% of the monitors are in good shape--same goes for the computers too--I see people throw good ones out because they are 3-4 years old,or they didn't use it often enough,or never learnred HOW to!.. :doah: :eek1:

They also have a big shed full of paint someone only used half of,for free if you want it!..I get into trouble everytime I go to a landfill or scrapyard--I usually bring home more stuff than I leave behind!..today I got 3 sections of stockade fence,with gate hinges and posts,some pressure treated lumber,and a nice wheelbarrow!--I already have 3 wheelbarrows now,but you can never have too many! :screwy: :dunno: :D Its a sin how much "good" useable stuff gets tossed every day in this country...what a wasteful bunch we are.. :doah: :(