Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Its got to be legal officer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RoldOvr, Jul 26, 2000.

1. RoldOvr

RoldOvr Registered Member

Fellow mud lovers I have run into a problem. I live in Northern VA and run 39" Mickey's on a 76 Blazer. Even with truck tags my bumpers are 3 inches too high. Running with smaller tires are out of the question. This is my daily truck and I use it to haul school stuff, work gear, women and even myself. If I use an aftermarket bumper then the state police measure to the frame. Any helpful hints to stay out of trouble or any helpful souls to let me fake reside at your'alls residence?

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Make some drop down brackets for the bumpers. May look funny but it should work. - Doug

Doug Krebs

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

How about cut-out flares and a smaller lift?

4. RoldOvr

I want to keep the lift and the tires. I love my truck with much passion and would only like to find a way to trick the system. If anyone feels comfortable enough I would love to be able to register it in another state with none of these nonsense rules so that when my 39" run bald I can replace them with bigger tires. Please!!

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

take a look at bigburb's set-up. he had to lower his lights to be legal, you could do the same thing for your bumper.
    and it's only 3". you should be able to fake out the local law.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

6. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Dude, move to Kansas. We don't have any laws. Actually, my friend has a 16" lift(used hockey pucks and 3" body) and had to move his head lights down to be legal. Plus, with a Blazer, I don't think the stock headlights would have worked to well being up that high. I'm not sure about how high the headlights can be, but I know the law is very leanient.

Alex
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!![​IMG]

7. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I got two adresses you can live at. One's my gf's the other is my parents. I kinda split time between the two of them. Lemme know.
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

8. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Go to the local steel mill and buy some "Tube" steel. The same size as the Reese receivers. Buy some steel about 2-3" long that will fit in side. Weld the long piece to the bumper and weld the tube steel to the chassis. This way you can insert the part welded to the bumper inside the larger steel. When you go out on the street drop the bumper down, when the cops aren't looking, raise it back up. It won't do much if you hit anything, but after lifting a truck, the front and rear axles are the stopping point for a vehicle under yours anyway.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Get one of those plastic air dams that they came with from the factory and put it on. Its about 3 inches tall, and tell smokey that its part of the bumper. If he tells you its not you'll probably just get a warning.

90K5

10. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Remind me NOT to move to Kansas....oooohoooo, 16" of hockey pucks....scary

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

11. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

FYI: Per KS Law; headlamps must be no higher than 54" and no lower than 24" measuring from the center of the headlamp.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

12. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

So what are the lift laws in VA?

Owner of Two Great 4WD
    - '79 Blazer
    - '99 ML320

13. RoldOvr

VA law states that any vehicle with truck tags that weighs between 4500 and 7500 pounds, the bumper must remain under 29 inches from the ground. Any modifications or aftermarket parts allows state POlice to measure to the frame. Also if the officer can drop a nickel down the side of your truck and it rests on the tire, the tire is too wide. I am supposed to drive a stock vehicle so that my bumper will meet up with others in my crash course. Like I say to anyone who asks "If you don't like driving near my TRUCK then get the hell off the road!

14. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

See I learn something new every day. I wasn't sure what the law was about the headlights, but I did know that you could go as high as you wanted and keep the lights in a legal limit. Oh yeah, my friend has a 12" suspension, 3" body, and 1" hockey pucks. Could be worse though with about the laws.

Alex
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!![​IMG]