Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It's hard to not want to be competitive

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Sep 26, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

It\'s hard to not want to be competitive

I always said, I'm not looking to get a trophy ot to win a mud race... it's all just for fun. I'm not a show off.

But, I'm getting tired of having slow-motioned vehicles.

Two weeks ago my Orange Blazer with a built 454 just plain sucked. (spark issue probably, havent fixed it yet). I was in slow motion in the pits. No power.

Then yesterday, I entered two rigs, and it's pretty bad when your daily driver with a small block on 35" BFG's can match up times or nearly beat your other rig on 38" Swampers locked in the rear with a big block. I ran my Blue Blazer and a friend and I both entered the truck Blazer. I think the Blue one had faster times. The truck Blazer amazed everyone with a huge cloud of smoke. Thats about it.

I need to build me something that's fast.

**Oh, but my distributor did make fast time of the day. One of the rails had a Mallory setup quit, so I told them to use the HEI out of my Crew Cab. Got them going again, and they got 1st amd 2nd place in X-Class and also fastest time of the day. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: It\'s hard to not want to be competitive

What kind of spark issue? can we help? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've always been a fan of the mud drags. If I wanted to build a fast mud runner I would probably go with a blazer or short bed. I would probably run a SBC to keep the weight down, totally gut the truck, and run a th350 behind it. 1/2 ton axles on some 33" boggers if the track is shallow and "fast." If it is a deeper track than I would have some 35" boggers ready to go. I am a fan of smaller tires because it's less weight and easier for the motor to spin them faster. If it was actuall mud bogs then a rig like that would be screwed. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you need massive amounts of power to run mud, a small block aint gonna get it done
    a ford 429/460 based engine is the best for mud
    they can be stroked to 557" for cheap using stock block
    a chev is $$$ to even get 540 out of last I looked

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Thats kinda funny you'd say shortbed. Cause I just traded for a '79 Chevy shortbed with a TH350 and NP205. I want to make it lightweight and put together a built 350 for it.

I will admit, most power will come from a big block, but if my mild SB400 I put together does what it does in a K5 with 35's and dragging a 14 bolt FF all the way through, I think I can make a 350 do pretty good.

If I go Modified or X-class, then I'll be putting together a big block in some sort of rail type vehicle.

Theres a rig out there with a 327 in a Blazer frame with a Model A body that just screams. You'd think it was a big block from hearing it run.

6. dcell152

dcell152 Registered Member

Most of the guys in Nothern Maine are running BUILT 350, dana 60,14 bolts, 38x11.50 Boggers and gutted rigs. Works great in deep mud. Shalow mud I would go smaller and wider Boggers