Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It's in....finally----long

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big pappa b, May 23, 2003.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

It\'s in....finally----long

Just got finished swapping out a 250 6 cylinder and 3 speed manual on the column with a 454/SM465 combo. I can't say that I've ever pulled an engine on a 4wd before so this was new to me. I wasn't sure what the best way to go about putting the motor and tranny in so at first I put in the motor with bellhousing attached. Didn't take long to figure out that that wasn't going to work. Next I bolted the bellhousing to the tranny and tried rolling the trans and transfer case up to the motor but for some reason it kept jamming up about 1 1/2" from the back of the motor. I figured the front shaft on the trans was not lining up inside. After several attempts and thousands of curse words I went over to the passsenger side to look underneath. As I lay there I look up behind the intake manifold and I see a big hook on the chain that is still holding the engine on the hoist. The hook hangs down right between the bellhousing and the back of the block. I WAS SO PISSED AT MYSELF /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif for not noticing that. It only took about 2 hours before I found it....silly boy. So now with the hook out of the way I attempt to roll everything forward and it slid right in.The trans/transfer case was on a transmission jack and it all rolled very freely so it made the job easier.
    The only dowside to getting it done is that now I still can't drive it for 2 weeks or so until my licenses plates get here. I'm living in Delaware right now but am an Illinois resident so I register it there because Delaware has emission testing and my Illinois address doesn't. There will be no cats on this truck.
    Since I couldn't drive it home I had to put it on a tow dolly. It took 3-4 people and a good running start to get that pig on the trailer...and about 5 tries. So now while it sits in front of the house I can do little things to it like adding new gauges, fixing some minor rust problems and some fine tuning
    Stay tuned...............

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: It\'s in....finally----long

saweet!!, thats the biggest cu. in. change I've seen on the board in some time congrats on the swap!

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

sweet deal congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. big pappa b

There was really nothing to the change excpet for finding the motor supports, the brackets that bolts the motor to the motor mounts. I found out that the ones from the old 6 cylinder wont work alhough they are very similar. Everything else bots/goes right in. I can say that there is much less space in the engine compartment now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds like you had fun doing it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, what t-case are you running??

7. big pappa b

It's the 205 case that came with the 80's K5

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

DAMN 454+465+205= SMOKING, thats good stuff, now you have to go update your website

9. big pappa b

I know. I'll have to take some pics of the engine compartment. I wish I had taken one with the 6 cylinder to show the difference

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

damn thats quit the upgrade!! sweet1 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif