Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It's in

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, Dec 8, 2002.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It\'s in

Well after much knuckle bashing the 6.2 I recently bought now resides between the frame rails of tRusty. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's also back on all four tires with a D60 front finally installed, calipers ground for the 15" rims etc. Frame repaired, tranny and T-case got a new adaptor and new gaskets and seals.

Now the real fun begins as I try and hook everything up and get it running. The motor I have is an 85 J-code 6.2, it was in a stripped down 3/4 ton 4x4 so it has no vacuum pump (the truck had a 465 4 speed) it came with no glow harness. It does have the glow controller (4 pin connector on left rear head)

We have a complete parts truck, but it's an 83 C30 with a TH400. I know the glow controller system is different.

Question one is can I use the glow harness from the 83 and make it work on the 85?

Question 2 (please bear with me... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif) I want to do the manual glow plug thing. Can I use part of the glow controller that's already on my 85 6.2? I have looked at the wiring schematic for the 85 system and i can see 12 volts goes to one lug and the glow harness goes to the other lug. Can I activate any one wire on the 4 pin connector to get power to the glow harness? I assume a push button switch would be best so the glow plugs can't be left on accidentally?

I have quite a few pictures that I'll be posting soon. On the rear of the motor are a couple of sensors, but I don't know what they are for. I took some pic's and will be asking for ID soon.

Three wires going to the injector pump. I'm fairly certain I know which one is the keyed hot to make it run and be able to shut it down. What are the other two for??

Fuel filter options: I have the following. With the 6.2 i bought I got the box filter/fuel heater that was origianl equipment. It also came with a Racor filter. On the 83 parts pig...it has a dual Racor filter added by a previous owner. Is the factory box filter worth bothering with? If so how would I go about wiring up the heater and water in fuel wiring? Should I just run dual Racor's? If so do i route to the fuel pump then through both Racor's or should it draw fuel through the first Racor and push it through the second Racor on the way to the injector pump?

If you've read this far...thanks! If you can shed light on anything thanks some more!/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh yeah, dropping a motor in without a front clip is way easier!/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif although the right side head does hit the firewall/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rene

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Re: It\'s in

KOOL!!!! way to go . u beat me , i havent even found one yet /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Question one is can I use the glow harness from the 83 and make it work on the 85?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes
    Can I use part of the glow controller that's already on my 85 6.2?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Do you have the controller? If so I would try to find a 85 harness or use the 83 harness and get a ford selenoid like Calcide did and go manual.
    On the rear of the motor are a couple of sensors

[/ QUOTE ]
    Temp sensors I think.
    Three wires going to the injector pump. I'm fairly certain I know which one is the keyed hot to make it run and be able to shut it down. What are the other two for??

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think one is for the 700R4
    As far as filters go, check the availibility of the Racor filters and cost. The box cost about $15 here.
    If you need a vacuum pump let me know I have a spare.

4. tRustyK5

Well what I have is what looks to be the controller on my 85. It has a 4 pin connector and two lugs and it's bolted to the rear of the left head. I would really like to plug 12 volts into that and use it if possible. The 83's glow controller set-up looks like a nightmare and I don't think it's functioning very well.

On the three plugs on the injector pump one is connected to a solenoid...could this be cold advance? If so how is it wired? The donor truck came with a SM 465 stock so there wouldn't be anything there for a 700R-4.

I have a vacuum pump on the 83 parts truck. I may use it or convert to cable control for my heater and not need a vacuum pump at all.

I'll get my pictures developed and scanned and post them so far.

Rene

5. tRustyK5

I have two 6.2's now...both J-code. The second needs a bunch of work to get it back to good again. It has fuel leaks and a bad glow system and either a bad alternator or starter...mostly minor stuff. The only worry is what seems to be low oil pressure. I'll have to check with a proper guage.

Rene

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

i don't like the box filter 'cause they have a habit of leaking (air). The GM fix IIRC was to remove the pressure sensor and tap/plug it. The heater is a nice feature, though...

The three wires should be Fuel solenoid, High Pressure Cold Advance (HPCA), and the fast idle plunger (external). The HPCA and fast idle are wired together. They should be wired to the temp sensor below the passenger side exhaust manifold.

The later style glow plug controller is a good piece (as long as it's an AC Delco). But if you want a manual system just wire the plugs to a "starter style" solenoid (ala CUCV) push the button and count /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I did this to my old S_box Isuzu, when the controller crapped and the dealer wanted $140.00 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Did you know that the 6.2 sucks??? J/K man, you've been very very busy, it sounds like....wish i could get that fired up about my rig! Way cool. and oh yeah, we want PICS!

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Hooking up the controller to work on a switch takes 3 minutes! Here is how it goes, On the donor truck is a relay located on the left fender well! This relay is supplied power only when the ignition is on run, the large end(lug) has power all time straight from the battery! The relay is wired on a grounding system, this means that if you look at the controller and the relay, there should be a light blue wire coming from both(same wire oppisite ends), cut the blue wire 2 inches from the controller and pull it out of the harness all the way back to the relay on the fender! than run the wire into the cab through your choice of a hole, Buy a $6 Autozone swithc(push botton) and connect the blue wire to one side, than run a short jumper wire from the other end of the switch to a good ground! This means that when you push the button, you ground the relay supply juice to the glow plugs.... I've done this twice, once on my 83 Blazer and once on Rocko's 83 Blazer.... If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

PS, are you running a 465 behind the 6.2, or an auto? curious, might be interested in the flywheel! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. tRustyK5

Thanks Bruce,

So the controller on the motor in the truck (85) I could just remove then? The 83 is a parts donor...

I sticking with the 465...it should crawl real well.

Anyone have HP and torque specs on a J code 6.2? I looked in the spec's area and saw two power levels mentioned. 13X hp and 151 hp. Is it safe to assume 151 is the J code?

Thanks for the info!!

Rene

10. tRustyK5

Well working on the truck keeps me from thinking how I hate being unemployed...so I've been working on it alot! I have 20+ pic's i took that I'm hoping to post in the next couple of days.

So far it isn't much to look at...oddly enough I have less sheetmetal up front than you do now. It's only temporary though.../forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

11. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Yes, that is the J code ratings.

12. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

If you want to get rid of the 2nd J code intake and other J Code parts, please let me know. I'd be happy to buy them from you.

13. tRustyK5

I'll let you know on the J-code parts. My buddy and I bought the parts truck together...so he may have future plans for that 6.2 after I've gotten the parts I needed.

Rene

14. 4x4dreamer

Very cool. I've been looking high and low for those parts. I found 'em here and there, but always at the wrong time. I'd be very appreciative, but if your buddy needs them, obviously he would take priority /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

What parts are you looking for besides the intake?

16. 4x4dreamer

Basically, all of the J code parts...I think maybe the heads were different too...not positive though. whatcha got?

17. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I think the only difference is the intake! Someone will chime in though.

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Congrats!
    I know you have been waiting to get that thing back on the road. It looks like you have a few minor issues to work through and should be good to go shortly. Good Luck, and keep us posted.