Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Its no Billa Vista writeup, but here is my front 56" spring swap. Lots of PICS!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Apr 7, 2006.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

After Building my tubular doubler crossmember and mounting it about 1 1/2-2" above stock the drivelines were not happy even at ride height(6"lift/hill shackles(5 1/2".)) So after taking the front shaft out 3 or 4 times grinding a little here and there; there was still a little bind in the front. (note to self--need to bring the front down:doah: .)

Focus some attention to the rear. I bolt everything up and jack the axle in the air so see if the rear binds---yup--it barely moves once the two top yokes meet. (note to self--need to bring the rear down too:doah: )

To bring the rear down was no big deal--take out the overloads--done, but still need to grind ever so slightly to clear the yokes at full drop.

After some research on this lovely site (that turned my beautiful truck into what it is today:bow: ) I decided on the 52" spring swap. Why? Because it is cheap if not almost free (if i didn't cut the frame off at the rad mount.:whistle: )

So I call around to see if any of my friends have some leave--sure enough a good friend has some he was going to throw away. SCORE!

With out measuring ANYTHING I procede to mount these springs.

First things first I need to make a crossmember so I can mount everything.

All I did for the crossmember was slide a peice of 2"x4"x1/4" rectangular tubing right flush with the boudy mounts.

On top of the crossmember (in front of it anyway) is my bumper. It is just your typical 3"x4"x1/4" rectangular tubing with a taper at the ends. I should have also kicked the ends a little backwards for a little cleaner look but I was too far too late.
    [​IMG]

One of the first things I did in relation to mounting the springs was to figure out where they went. So I bolted them into the rear shackle and at the axle. With them bolted to both the shackle and axle I could move the entire axle front or back to see where I wanted the end result.

This is the moment I realized something wasn't right (with me thinking these were 52's) It turns out these are 56"ers

I ended up being happy with the shackle angle and axle placement with the front hangers mounted 6" foreward of the origional
    [​IMG]

Now without any real evidence that these springs work (except the 2 that replied to one of my posts) i thought a little ahead and drilled an extra set of holes incase i decide to change to 52's
    [​IMG]

With everything in place where they are my wheelbase stayed the same. Now this is because I put the long side towards the front.
    [​IMG]

If I were to do it the other way it would have moved the axle foreward about 4". This would not have worked in my application because of where my ram is placed. As of now I have to move the ram back about 1" to clear the draglink on full compression.
    [​IMG]

If I were to guess I would say it gives you a 4" lift. You can also see the shackle angle--not too bad i think. The shackles are 5 1/2"ers in the stock location.

[​IMG]

a view from the front

[​IMG]

Enjoy

Any observations welcomed.

There wont be any testing for a couple of weeks so dont worry--i will run these to see if they will work for anyone else.

thanks

Dan

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Someone has to be first. Nice work.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I thought more than a few folks had done 56" front spring swaps.... maybe I'm wrong. Looks like a good setup you have there. Like the bumper/spring hanger

4. SCOOBYDANNN

I know a few have done it but I searched and searched and only foud a few real old posts--but no real answers as to how they work, except the 2 that replied to one of my posts

does that even make sense:screwy:

5. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

6. SCOOBYDANNN

The only ones i could find on mudgod was for the rear swap--can you give me more details

7. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

i will look for them

8. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

its in the 52" swap started 52's ended with 56s shoot him a pm.i cant get it to work:mad:

9. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Where's that thread that tells which springs come on what vehicles and their dimensions, etc? Thanks...

10. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

any shots of the shackles?

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

red xs... baaad.

j

12. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I'm seeing a few of them too....Again,baaad.

13. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I did see the red x's at work, but I thought it was IT blocking the links. When I got home I attempted to look, but I don't even see the red x's any more.

14. SCOOBYDANNN

It's got old pictures that i deleated---ill try and remember which ones i used and get them back up.

15. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna try some 56"s up front the other way around. Move axle to keep my 46" tires out of footwell/cab floor. Anyone tried this? DOn't want to have to move the shacke hanger.

16. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I followed the standard 52" formula, but used 56's. Front hanger move ahead of the body mount, 56" spring short side forward and then a 7" shackle to the stock location in rear. 2" uptravel, about 30 feet of droop. I don't know how much droop I have yet, even my engine hoist was maxing out.

pics..
    hanging there, no weight on them except the bare chassis
    [​IMG]

with the engine (6.2) and trans in place
    [​IMG]

with the cab and front clip on, the springs are within 1" of being completely flat. I have 6 leaves from a 10 leaf CUCV pack. I kept the main, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 10th leafs. Its a little soft, but I'm expecting some impressive flex.

17. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

THANKS!

So you're 4" forward? How's the steering? How much lift? I need a bunch to clear my 46"s.

18. BGKYK5

BGKYK5 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

K10A's BRO, this website is kinda handy for looking up stock spring dimensions - http://www.generalspringkc.com/leaf_springs/index.html. If you ever want to buy new stock spings, I guess you could use it for that too. I believe the measurements column is the front eye to pin x rear eye to pin dimensions (add them to get overall length). It would be better if you could look them up by dimension instead of application, but it is better than walking around a junkyard with a tape measure. I don't remember where I found this link - probably on here somewhere

19. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I did like drip on one side, but it doesnt move the axle 4" fwd, and the shackle hits the body mount on compression. One side has 4" spring with axle moved fwd by 1.5" zero rate, other has 56", no zero, and the axle is in about the same place on both sides. Gonna hafta figger something else out.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  20. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I never meant to say the axle was 4" forward. The front mount point is 4" forward, but it's a longer spring. I've flattened my springs out and they just barely miss the body mount. it will self clearance when the time comes =)