Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It's not a nut, not a bolt, but I'm screwed...how do I get it off? with pic

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skigirl, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

It\'s not a nut, not a bolt, but I\'m screwed...how do I get it off? with pic

I'm trying to get the heater core cover off from inside the cab. There are these bolts that are perfectly round, no edges, thru this retaining clip, that doesn't seem to pull off either. What is this stupid thing and how to I get it off? BTW, when I look in the engine compartment, there are threads, but no nut *sigh*

Hellllppppppmmmmeeeeeee..........

pic: http://community.webshots.com/user/emberwhen
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Skigirl on 12/08/01 04:57 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: It\'s not a nut, not a bolt, but I\'m screwed...how do I get this thing off?

Are they torx head or allen head possibly?

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Re: It\'s not a nut, not a bolt, but I\'m screwed...how do I get this thing off?

What you see from the inside are the backs of the studs. The nuts are on ther other side in the engine compartment. I believe they are 10mm. I've taken my heater core out about a dozen times. And that was over the course of just a few months!!! One of the nuts is very hard to get to; you won't be able to see it, but its inbetween the fender and the bottom of the AC pac. The other two shouldn't be a problem. If you don't see the nuts on the other end its probably because the stud is covered in road grime.

<font color=black> -Tommy
    <font color=red>"To secure peace is to prepare for war..."

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

BTW.. thats a pretty catchy title!

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

OK, I'll check it out. I've already removed the inner fender.

BTW, I've posted a photo on my site (sorry, can't get it to be clicky):

http://community.webshots.com/user/emberwhen

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I was desperate [​IMG].

So, you might know the answer to this... I'm taking this off because I have a leak in there somewhere, but not when the heater's on, only when it rains, and it's parked. It's coming in thru the cowl, and shows up wet only at the very bottom og the heater core case. What do you think?

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/emberwhen>Here's the clicky!</a>

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

If its getting wet only when it rains I don't believe the problem is with the heater core. I can help you better if you answer some of these questions:
    1. When running your heater do you have a STRONG anti-freeze odar?
    2. The leak that you have detected... does it resemble or smell like anti-freeze?
    3. Does the heater work? By that I mean get hot, not just warm.
    4. Does your passenger floor board get wet?

9. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

The leak may be coming from your windsield, leaking inside and down thru the dash onto the heater core housing.

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

on the fire wall in the motor compartment where you see the threads but no nut clean the gunk off the base of it there s a tin nut on it i belive it is a 7/16th size

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: It\'s not a nut, not a bolt, but I\'m screwed...how do I get it off? with

Ski I have a full write up in the tech section of what it takes to get the boxes loose. communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim>coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

fad2blk99 and Mudhog:

OK, that stupid bolt thing was like you said. The one that you can only see with the inner fender off didn't have a nut and was hermetically sealed to the truck. Needed a special tool to loosen (BFH). The other two had those tin nuts.

So, I got the heater case off.

Fad2blk99: No smell, not antifreeze, just water, heater works great.

It looks like the water's getting in where the heater hoses enter the cab, as there is no, absolutely no rubber seal or grommet or anything where the hoses come in and there's a trail of wet from the holes on the inside of the cab, and as it gets further down it gets rusty and the insulation is only wet under and to the immediate sides of those holes, except where the water has seeped along the bottom edge of the insulation to the left about another foot.

There are supposed to be some kind of seals or something by those heater hose holes, aren't there?

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Grimmy, I printed it, and have it with me, and have just about memorized it. I'm sure I would have never gotten the thing out without it, but I guess I missed the speednut thing... probably because I didn't know what a speednut was! (Just learning...[​IMG]) Thank you for doing the write-up!

And as a note, I may need your advice when putting it back in (there's one little part I want to make sure I get right).. Can I PM you when the time comes?

14. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you found your culprit.

15. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)

I would highly recomend replacing you heater core even though its not your problem. That is assuming it is anywhere near as old as your truck. Your heater will probalby work better and since it is already apart it will be easy. You can get a new one for under 20 bucks I think. Also, since it sounds like you were having a hard time getting it out (tugging and pushing I'm sure) it might have casused you to crack one of the lines or something. Just my 2 cents, take it for what you want.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

16. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Sparky, I think that's a great idea. What's $20 when you look at having to do that labor over again!

17. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

That's good advise. I'd do the same.

18. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hey Tommy,

2 questions:

1) Are there any other places inside that heater unit that should have seals? The only place I found any kind of existing seal was RTV Blue around the piece that actually fits to the case and covers the heater core itself.

2) Ya know the black thingy with the rubber plugs that covers the insulation? Do you know whether they still make those things? I have new insulation but it obviously needs some protection over it and the black thingy I have (what's it called anyway?) kinda just fell apart when I started to pull it away from the firewall.

19. Grim-Reaper

Sure. I'll probably be on for at least an hour or 2 more. The lady (Lady Reaper) will probably be on after that so if I don't respond see if she's online.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

20. Grim-Reaper

Re: It\'s not a nut, not a bolt, but I\'m screwed...how do I get this thing o

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

1) Are there any other places inside that heater unit that should have seals? The only place I found any kind of existing seal was RTV Blue around the piece that actually fits to the case and covers the heater core itself.

<hr></blockquote>
    Blue RTV? this sounds like it's been an ongoing problem. Blue RTV was not used from the factory. All the sealent used from the factory was black tar like stuff. Sticks real good and stays pretty pliable even after 25 years.
    I'm confused as to where the leak is. That outer box is fully under the hood. Any water that hits the truck should be draining through the fenders in front of the doors. Did you pull the hood and look in the cowel area and see if there was any rust through or posible leakes on the freash air intake on the passenger side?
    The A/C core is located on the outside of the fire wall and any water from condinsation from the A/C should easily drain and not enter the passenger compartment side of the assembly. If you got a digital camera handy a few pics of where you think it's coming in might help us figure out what to do about it.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper