Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

it's not for sale! *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Nov 7, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

it\'s not for sale! *UPDATE*

I got one helluva offer the other day. The local town cop comes up to me and said he would pay whatever I wanted for my truck.

I have been thinking hard about this for the past three days and have gone over all of the options: 1) sell my truck, the white 87 blazer, and use that money for a down payment on a new vehicle. Keep in mind if I got a new vehicle it would have to be a Ford SuperDuty because that's the only thing available with a solid axle, besides a Heep. 2) sell it, and buy the 4x4 1 ton crew cab down the road for $3500. 3) sell it, try to find another 90 Jimmy just like mine (interior & mech. condition). 4) keep it, buy the 1 ton, and drive the hell out of it.

After much consideration, I have decided to keep it. I've spent all this money on it for upcoming swaps. I love working on it. I wouldn't know what to do if I had a vehicle that I couldn't work on and upgrade as cheaply as a GM squarenose. It's paid for, and there's nothing else that I think looks as good. Plus, who wants a Heep or a Ford?

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: it\'s not for sale!

Hey Ash i think you missed something
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    said he would pay whatever I wanted for my truck.

[/ QUOTE ]
    $15,000-$20,000 and mine would be GONE /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

$10k and I'd kiss mine bye bye.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats right man, It's not for sale!
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

It's hard for my parents to even understand. I've owned this truck since I was 15. We went to the dealership to look around for me a vehicle. I already had it picked out: a 95 GMC Sonoma Highrider, all red with BFG A/T's. That thing was cherry. Then my dad called me to the back of the lot and show me the ugliest, rusting, worn out, grey and red, missing 2 center caps, looking like it had just come from the back acre of some delapidated farm truck. It had just been traded in that day. I said, "I like it, but I still want that Sonoma." Well, a week went by, and one day I came home to find that same.....see above......truck sitting under the carport. I wasn't happy, but hey, they bought it for me, so I took what I got. I instantly went to work stripping the interior of junk, trash, bullet casings, and tobacco juice. The water hose and Clorox was in effect heavy that day. I put it back together, washed it, and dad took it to a guy to have the rust spots painted and the rocker panels bondo'd. When it came home, it looked brand new. In the meantime, before I even had a vehicle, dad bought some 33x12.50 tires, so whatever I got, they had to fit. That's what got me into lifting a vehicle, and me seeing how fast it would go in 4-Lo got me into rebuilding engines /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. That brings us to today, 3 sets of tires later, orange paint, and soon to be 1 ton running gear. I wouldn't trade it for the world. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

Re: it\'s not for sale! *UPDATE*

Well, after much thought, I have decided to sell it. It's just going to be too expensive for me to do the mods that I want done. I'm not trying to knock it, but the D60/14b thing is just to generic for me. I can't have something that everyone wants. I have to be unique, which is mostly the reason my truck is orange. I'm still going to keep my stock 87 for a DD, but the money earned from Big Orange is going towards my 'Yota hybrid. I feel like a sell-out, but I can't afford to keep dumping gas in it. I'm going to build my off-road buggy because I can't see me taking that good of a truck and destroying it by 4 wheelin. Damn, I feel better now. I will still and always be a member of CK5. So, in other words, I have a 90 Jimmy for sale if anyone wants to buy it /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

I know exactly how you feel. I just bought an 81 Toy to build but I havent been able to put the forsale sign on the Jimmy.

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I built then sold my 83 toyota 4x4 short bed. For less than I spent building and wheelin the yota I now have a 1 ton K5 which is much more capable, more dependable and handles far more abuse with a better all around ride. If your Yota is a trail only rig, you can do well but otherwise... Your Nuts!

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

Well here's the deal: I've got all the drivetrain from the motor to the axles to put in it. I will not have Yota running gear under that thing. I'll have a TBI or TPI 350, 465/Doubler, 14b, and I'm going to make an 8 lug 10 bolt survive up front. It will have the All Pro Offroad flatbed, removeable fiberglass front fenders and hood, full cage, and coilovers. Pretty much a tube chassis. I would love to have it built by Dixie Run, but I'm gonna take my time on it and make sure everything works. It will also be street legal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, there you go - its basicly a K5 with Yota styling! I can relate. Using a pre 73 title would make it 50 state legal on the road though!

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

How will that make it 50 state legal? Sorry, I've just never heard of that before. I have my eye on an 82 for $300 minus the engine/tranny/t-case/bed/front clip. My buddy wants the axles for his Zuki. I also found out today that a guy has an 85 Extra-Cab for sale which would be sweet cuz I love that body style, and it's even better cuz it has solid axles underneath. I was thinking of getting titled under Experimental or something, but I can't find laws on it.

12. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

I understand, That is why if it's paid for park it for a weekend. Buy another. That is how I wound up with 4 rigs.

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

I would love to have a true DD, but I can't afford to buy it and upgrade another.

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Post 73, many states get critical of engine or drivetrain upgrades (especially california). Older than 73 and most states get lax on vehicle modifications due to the availability of parts for a 30 year old vehicle (manufacturers only required to supply parts for 7 years). A pre 73 title can make a 4x4 caddilac street legal. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I see them all the time here!

15. BigOrange90Jimmy

ok, so how would i work that, buy a pre 73 and the extra cab, then swap the cab onto the 73 frame, or use the title for the 85? i'm lost...so check me tomorrow cuz i've already thought too much today with school and working on a fried k5.

16. BigOrange90Jimmy

i think if people can swap 350's into s-10's all day around here, then i will be fine putting one in a yota.

17. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

The Toy is going to be for trail only. My Jimmy is in too good of condition to beat up the body. I'm still going to wheel the Jimmy but I'm going to beat the Toy. By the way, I only paid $400 for the Toy.

18. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, if I had your year Jimmy, I wouldn't want to beat up on the body either until something happened to it. Not a bad score on the Toy either. (funny how its a Yota when its dual purpose and Toy when its off road only /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif )