Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

its not going away{damp running cond}

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by only 31s, May 28, 2005.

1. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

alittle ways back i bought a truck{from texas} brought it home{mass} during the winter.Never had trouble during cold weather{25 or lower} but at higher temps than that when its foggy,damp or rain it drove horrible,so i posted the prob and someone suggd isopropl to solve it.Holy crap! it worked,it drove perf,but now i have to dump it in every time the condition reoccurs{just a little bit into the tbi and it dissapears} but its aggravating! {sub 6''w/35s once or twice a day if bad weather] does anyone have an idea to fix it perm??? 90 350 tbi edelbrock perf intake. :mad:

2. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Run the 10% ethanol mixed gasoline. It does the same thing. Ethonol susspends water and takes it through the system. Plus some of the money goes to farmers insted of the money grubbing oil companies.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Alcohol!!!

Your truck is like mine--an alkoholic!--mine loves the isopropanol too--I think I got it addicted to it,because it runs the same way--as soon as its between 35-55 degrees and foogy or rainy,the carb ices up and it stalls every time you try to idle it..add isopropanol,and you can actually HEAR the motor smooth right out!..but your right,its not that cheap!--its like a diesel engine,once you use ether to start one,it seems they wont start without any !..it might pay to shop around at hardware stores or paint stores--it might be cheaper by the gallon!..(10$ last time I checked here :blush: )

The "permanent" cure is to fix the hot air pipe to the OEM air cleaner,and make sure your EFE valve or "heat riser" works--neither of mine is hooked up,thats 90% of the problem in my case,aggravated by a thick aluminum spacer under my Edelbrock carb that blocks all heat from the manifold from warming the carb like it should...

I've been getting gas from Cumberland Farms stores in our area--I notice it runs better with less or no stalling on the "blend" they sell(I am fairly sure its the 10% alcohol stuff--I'm buying it mostly cause its cheap like me! :blush: )...but it does seem to help..I think all the gas today is formulated for todays EFI newer engines,and is a poor compromise for those of us that still have carbs....the "alky" version works better in carbed rigs....time to build a still.. :laugh: