Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Its now illegal to watch races in Sacremento

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Apr 16, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

good street racing is stupid,
    take it to the track

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I didn't think there was any "good" street racing, it's all pretty bad.

Eric M.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm no fan of modern street racing. So I don't feel bad at all about that. What kind of idiot races on city streets anyways.

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

We used to do that back in the day. Back then though there weren't any run what ya brung nights at the dragways around here. We'd pick some real quiet industrial park or a desolate stretch of highway, somethin like that. The cops used to be pretty cool about it as long as you had it woahed down by the time you got to a major street.

Don't know if we were just lucky or what but no one ever got hurt.

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd agree street racing is pretty stupid, but it happens. everywhere. Drag racing has been around as long as the vechicle itself.
    In sacramento i think it is pretty stupid because there is SAC raceway right there. I tow my car 2-3 hours up there just to race legally.
    I've been crusing around in the bay area in some of the 'problem areas' with some friends. I've been pulled over and hassled a little for being in that area at midnight on a friday or saturday night. Does this mean i'm racing? No. I told the cop my friends and i just wanted to "look at some of the other cars" and he told me "you know its illegal to even be out here watching street racing and you can be cited for it." i told him i didn't know that...
    I told the cop he wouldn't catch me out there racing around.

yah let me race some clown so i can prove my car is faster or that my balls are bigger.. and consequently get my car impounded and licence taken away for a year. Yah thats worth it. :rolleyes:

I think the cops need to block off part of the expressway or open up moffet field landing strip for the drag racers... make it legal a couple times a month and i'm sure there would be less problems in areas that don't have racetracks.
    I've seen it where its not the racing that is so crazy, but when the cops show up everyone runs to their cars and everyone is speeding to get away.. i've seen a few close calls of people and cars almost getting hit once the cops show up.

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

What happened to the good old days? I live in Sacramento, they are really "cracking down" now it looks . :surepal:

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I think he left out a comma..... "Good, street racing is stupid."

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah, wait, isnt there a track in Sac? One in Sonoma too.

Yeah street racing is stupid, so are imports.

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Yes i did thank you
    i thought it was obvious.
    "good street racing is bad,
    But bad street racing is good." ;)

11. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Ahhh, yes, that does make more sense! Amazing how a little comma can change the entire meaning of a sentance. I guess all that grammer stuff we hated so much in elementry school really is important with the invent of the internet!

Eric M.

12. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Street racing has been around since the dawn of the automobile.

It didn't become a problem until the last decade.

The problem is the lack of common sense. It used to be you went to industrial parks where there is a huge median and a wide open well lit expanse. Or if you lived in the sticks you ran down a road with no driveways or a house within a mile without trees on either side. You always had spotters.

But now you've got kids doing it just anywhere... and if they do go somewhere moderately remote there are like 300 people lining the first hundred yards so close to the cars they can reach out and touch them.

Most of the people that get hurt streetracing get hurt out of stupidity. They're the same people that make it so bathtubs should be outlawed because you might slip and fall. Sorry, showers only.

However, cops these days keep kids from congregating anywhere. They chase them around town from one place to the next. If you let the kids congregate there'd be a lot less "stupid" street racing. They wouldn't be driving from one place to the next in large packs every 40 minutes to an hour... which is when most of the problems with street racing happens.

You have to be careful what you wish for. Florida has 316.191 which is a law that makes just about anything street racing and is up to the discretion of the OFFICER as to whether you were racing or not. Hard acceleration by yourself is considered racing and can get you a free ride. Outpacing a dumptruck from a traffic light can get you a free ride. Honestly, I know people that have gotten hit by 316.191 for having a tight limited-slip that squeals tires while idling around a parking lot.

13. eric22

eric22 1/2 ton status

that sucks, a law like that sounds a little too vague, im all for racing laws, and loitering, but watching?? whats next watching a fight?

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't see any problems with racing a a deserted streatch of highway, but today the idoits race on busy city streets.