Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Its official, I'm sick!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Its official, I\'m sick!!!

In the head that is. I have already started plans for a truck I don't have yet. I am from AZ and I am planning to build a dedicated rock truck, and I have already started plans and designing a truck I don't have. Here is some of what I have sofar.

Blazer:73-75
    Motor: 250 High Torque Inline 6 cylinder
    Trans: TH350 or 700R4
    Tcase: NP241 or 208 (clocked flat)
    F.Axle: D44 with 4.56 gears & lockrite locker
    R.Axle: 12 bolt GM with 4.56 gears & detroit locker, and alloy axleshafts

Other: Fully incorporated rock sliders with shields running all the way to the frame. ORD HD front shackles. 4" BDS front springs with ORD 1" offset addaleave. Offset 1.5" forward. Rear suspension is still up in the air. 5" total lift, 35-37" MTR's, fair amount of body trimming. Rockrod, and most likely crossover.

I have decide that I am going to remove the gas tank from under the truck, and incorporate it into a truck style bed toolbox. I am going to half cab the front so it will basically be a really short bed pickup with a removable top. The cab will consist of a welded in lower rear panel (behind the seats) a removeable upper section w/window for behind the drivers head, and a small soft top from the windshield frame to the back removable upper panel. In place of the old gas tank I am going to put a winch in a frame mounted craddle that will run out the back of the truck. I am also planning to shorten the truck in the rear for about an 8" bob. I am going to bob the section of the rear with the factory fuel door in it so the body is clean.

Also I am planning to have the rollcage built so that I can open and close the toolbox and remove it from the truck if necesarry. I also plan on a front winchbumper, and lots of rock armor around the truck.

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Re: Its official, I\'m sick!!!

Sounds nice... simple and light... Give this post some time and i'm sure someone will tell you that you are going to need the D60/14FF combo... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Give this post some time and i'm sure someone will tell you that you are going to need the D60/14FF combo...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're gonna need a D60/14b combo...just kidding.
    I agree with bowtiepower, it sounds good. Add some more money into the price for a 241 SYE and HAD shafts. I'm confident that the 44/12 combo will survive.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I would run a 700 instead of the TH350. You get a lower first gear and OD, plus if you get it built right they will last just as long as a 350.

5. Hossbaby50

I have thought about that, as I already run a 700, and I like it alot. I might actually run a 700, but I have not decided yet. If I do run a 700 I will run a GM Cert. 700 with the 3yr/50K warranty. I know this truck will never see 50K in 3 years, and if it lets go within those 3 yrs I get a new one.

The tranny I am running in my truck now is a GM Cert, and it runs good, and was used when I got it. The only reason to run a 700 in this truck would be for the lower 1st gear, as OD would probably never be used as the 250 probably wouldn't push 37's well in OD at 55-65 mph which is what this truck would max out at as the suspension would be pretty soft.

6. Hossbaby50

Anyone who says I NEED 1 tons is full of sh*t. I have been out with the AZ guys, and they take the 1/2tons everywhere the 1 tons go. I actually rode with Fred (FWP) in his 1 toned Blazer, and it does great, except the diffs grab everything, even with 37" MTR's. The 1/2 ton guys go everywhere Fred goes and they drag less diff.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

If its light enuff, 1/2 ton stuff can live.

the I6 will not put out enuff power to get you in trouble with the skinny pedal, and if you reallllly watch your weight, it can be done.

Toyota's with a D44/12B set up are damn near bullet proof, from what i hear, and are built on your same principles: Light and Mild Power.

you might want to look into some gearing (doubler, 3:1 203, Poor Man's Doubler) to help the I6 out.

8. Hossbaby50

With a 700/241/4.56 I will be running about 38.5:1 crawl. The guys in AZ with doublers are running about 41:1. With the TC in the mix you are looking at over 70:1 crawl.

I might go to a doubler, but I would probably go AtlasII or Klune V first for weight savings.

But I think the 38.5:1 should do that I6 pretty well. They won't make the mid-highrange torque, but they have it down low where it counts. I think that I6 should hold its own with a stock-mild V8 on the rocks. Worst I could do is throw a new bump stick from Comp Cams in to get even more grunt out of the I6.

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if you are planning on 38's there is NO reason not to go to 5.13's with the 700R. your crawl will go up to 82:1 which is damn good for being bone stock.

10. Hossbaby50

The only thing that keeps me from 5.13 is the 1/2 ton axles. The pinion gets pretty small, and I am afraid the torque of all the reduction might snap a pinion.

If the pinion would hold I would definitly go with the 5.13's, but I have heard bad things about anything lower then 4.56 in 1/2 tons.

11. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Nothing wrong with 1/2 ton gear if it works for you and I'm not trying to start that debate again,but,bring 'em to Tellico and you'll start to understand why lots of us east of the Miss.go 1 ton.Slow controled throttle just isn't enuf ,sometimes ya' gotta thrash it pretty hard. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Sounds like I will have work again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

13. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Hossbaby50

one day. I don't have a rig yet, and I don't have any cash right now as I am not working either, but this project will happen.

15. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Sounds good to me. I love building things.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

16. Hossbaby50

Your help will definitly be needed with the gears and lockers. Most likely a fair amount of other stuff too. Here is a question for you.

Will 4.88's or 5.13's hold in a 1/2 ton or is the pinion to small? This truck isn't going to have alot of HP or highend torque, but it will have a fair amount of gear reduction. (might run a Klune V behind the 241).