Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

its ok to laugh at me....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5dreamer, Dec 11, 2006.

1. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

im rather embarrased to ask this question.... but how do i jumpstart my truck????

its an M1009 with the two 12v batteries wired in series. I just replaced the starter, it had a major short and meltdown, and i think it drained my battery hardcore.

after replacing the starter i started the truck, but noticed my gen 1 light was on full bright, and got brighter as i reved the engine, which it didnt do before. i think the Gen1 light matches with the front battery which is the one that is the lowest voltage.

i drove it down the block to another friends house, shut it off, and when i tried to start it, all i got was starter relay click. now, after trying to jumpstart it, even the dash lights barley come on.

now heres the funny thing, i think i was trying to jumpstart the truck wrong. i didnt set the cables on fire or anything, but when i tried jumping it with my old honda accord, the voltage on my truck batteries actually dropped... alot. the front battery dropped from 11 volts to 5 then to 3 volts. the rear went from 12.5 to 12 volts.

im thinking the short in the starter at the very least drained the front battery, and maybe fried it.

when i was jumping it i had the positive cable attatched to the rear battery positive terminal, and the negative cable attached to the front battery negative terminal. but my dad brought up that the 12 volt alternator wouldnt work on a 24v setup with the batteries connected as they are.

do i need to disconnect the batteries from each other and charge them one at a time?

2. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

You might try putting a battery charger just on the front battery plus and minus and see if it will take a charge. If it pulls all the charger will take it's probably just flat (very low) and needs a good charge. If it wont take a charge it probably has at least one cell bad due to shorted plates. If it takes a charge leave it for awhile and then try the same thing with the other battery.

We had 24 volt chargers in the millitary so I never had to charge with 12 volt.

3. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

get a 12v starter and convert that sum bitch to 12v!!!! then you can free up an alternator for hmmmm I don't know maybe an arc welder or onbard air compressor!!!!;) and have two batteries dedicated to the whole truck instead of just to the starter and plugs.....

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

remove each bettery and charge them individualy.

5. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

lol well, seeing as i just dropped more than 300 bucks on this new 24v starter, i think ill let it run till it dies and convert it next time ;)

but thanx all, im afraid i fried the battery with that starter short, ill pull them one at a time and charge them seperately and see if that fixes the problem.

6. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

$300 BUCKS!!!
    Well I have a perfectly good 24v starter I'd have sold to you for $50

7. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

lol now ya tell me ;)

after the core it will be around 270 or so, and thats with my employee discount at the dealership.

8. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

what was your reasoning behind staying 24v??

9. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Disconnect each batt. and charge seperate as said above. The m1009/08's were set up to jump with 24v through the plug on the grill. Also, I have a 24v anco....I mean starter you could have taken, I went to 12v.

BTW, return that starter and get your $ back. Convert to 12v. The only money you have to spend is on the new starter which is $120 (retail) and MAYBE some new cables if yours are in bad shape. You will actually save money and be able to jump you truck like everyone else.

Check out steelsoldiers.com too, lot's o' info over there on your truck.

10. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

Well, on the plus side, the starter is working great, the batteries are working fine, charged em up at work.

but now when the truck starts and runs, the gen 1 light is on, which it wasnt doing before the short. and also my stereo dosnt work.. ill have to check the fuses on that.

so just checking, the Gen 1 light is the alternator on the driver side right? i took it to the dealership for a battery, starting, and charging test, and they said it has a charging problem, but cant tell me any more than that because they dont have the 24v starter schematics. I think imma just pull the alternators and take them to advanced auto or napa or somethin to get them tested.

11. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

the alternators have an isolated ground, meaning the ground lug on them is isolated from the case. any alt. shop can rebuild them, should be about 120 each.

I am supprised that you didnt cook the electronics in the car that was jumping you, your batteries must have been totally dead. otherwise it would have smoked everything in the car!!!!!!!!!

I had to have my starter rebuilt and it cost 160 at the shop, and that included a new nose cone cuase mine had cracked. (you got pwnd)