Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It's rude to speak in a foreign language because..........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Oct 2, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It\'s rude to speak in a foreign language because..........

Help me out here by completing that sentence and explaining why.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Re: It\'s rude to speak in a foreign language because..........

The person/people listening, would'nt know what the hell I was talking about. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Me speak english only /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah that's obvious, I was hoping for something a little better than that.

It's for a debate in my gf's class, I'm trying to help her out. She's cute and a redhead if it makes you more motivated to help her. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Keeping up with their hand movement's/gesture's, would be impossible. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like an Italian ya know, can't say a thing without their hand's. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

because the individuals speaking non-english could be talking about U, and u wont even know it. also, extremely difficult to be of service to individuals if they r sitting there babbling at u and u dont understand a word. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    because the individuals speaking non-english could be talking about U, and u wont even know it. also, extremely difficult to be of service to individuals if they r sitting there babbling at u and u dont understand a word. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen! You hit the nail on the head. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

This is America /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif.
    In America we speak English /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was kinda hoping there was a better point than those, but thanks guys.

I personally want to get the bumper sticker that says, "Speak English or get the f*ck out."

9. mountainibis

mountainibis Registered Member

it's not.

I hate to be the bastard that pisses everyone off by being the devil's advocate, but here goes anyway.

What does it matter if someone's speaking in a different language? Granted, if they're talking to you, or you are in on the conversation, it's rude. But, if two people are having their own conversation, what does it matter whether they speak English or communicate with grunts and smacking each other on then ass?

Yes, people who come to this country should learn English. Yes, they should make all attempts to do so as soon as possible to make things easier. No, it won't happen overnight.

If you ever think people are talking about you just because they're speaking in a foreign language, chances are you're wrong. They're probably talking about the gas their wife had after last night's dinner, or some other mundane crap that no one cares about.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well I speak enough spanish to know that's simply not the case, and I have caught my customers talking [darn] about my employees before. It is EXTREMELY rude to speak in a foreign language when anybody can hear you and not understand, especially if you know how to speak english.

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Tim, we have a high count of spanish customers and I have picked up enough of it to know what they are talking about and yes, for being as white as I am, they don't think I know what they are saying. But I have walked away from the counter after hearing them talk [darn] about me or my employees

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Oh I never said that I'd say something to them. I never say anything rude to the customers, but that doesn't mean that I LIKE what they're saying.

13. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

because if you speak arabic on a plane, people start to [darn] their pants. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's rude to speak in a foreign language because..........

[/ QUOTE ]

...if you're going to insult someone, do it to their face in a language they can understand.

That's the only problem I'd have with it

15. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I work at a hospital and it's impossible to figure out what hurts, what happened, or if somebody has any severe/fatal allergies to medications if there is no translater around. Doctors have even been litigated because they gave someone a medication that was inappropriate due to lack of communications.

My feeling (take them with a grain of salt). If you WANT to live in this country LEARN English before coming here (or learn the language of where you want to live), or at least learn it ASAP if time is an issue. I have no problem with people keeping/recongnizing their heritage and celebrating it (freedom), but I believe they should HAVE to learn English if they want to live in America, as I feel I should have to learn Spanish if I ever wanted to Live in Mexico/Spain/etc. Vacations are one thing, but moving somewhere else and living is different.

Everyday things like street signs, warnings, etc. mean NOTHING to someone who cannot read/understand them.

I will get off my soapbox now, but this is how I feel. I see it everyday....getting people into trouble, and almost KILLED!

17. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

If you notice, there are many people who choose not to learn English no matter how long they've been here. We have guys at my company who have been here four years and still no-speaky-ingles. Not only that, but immigration laws mean nothing to these parasites. When my grandparents came here from Scotland 70 years ago, they went through all of the processes dictated by the law, and as soon as they got their citizenship, they were glad to be AMERICANS /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    These thankless POS bastards coming over the fence now are thumbing their noses at our forefathers who came here legally. They get all of the benefits of living here, and none of them have died for the Flag. They also make it harder for their countrymen who choose to come here legally, because I for one look at all of them the same. As the old Stormtroopers of Death song goes: "Speak English or Die..."

18. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well written and elligent thoughts! Exactly what we need more of around here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I also feel that if MUST speak the language in whatever country you are in. I feel that this goes for native born Americans when they visit other countries as well. I have traveled to a few different countries and know first hand how it feels to be alone in an area and NOT know how to speak the language. It can be a very fearful deal! It is very difficult to get what you need. A case in point....
    A co-worker and I are driving through Mexico on our way to a little town named Cananea (kan-an-A-ya). About an hour into the drive he looks over at me and says "you know, for a town so big, I haven't seen one building yet". I got a puzzled look on my face and said in my most intelligent manner, "huh? what are you talking about"? He said "this bis @ss town that you can't see!" I again had to ask "what the h*ll are you talking about?" He said in irritation, "this town SALIDA or however you say it!" I was laughing so hard I almost wrecked the car! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif!

My point is, that you need to know the local language to live and survive. Heck you might even be able to find your way around! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

welcome to the land of english, speak american or leave... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. mountainibis

mountainibis Registered Member

OK, if people are talking smack about you, and hiding behind a language barrier, that's not cool. They should grow up. I also disagree with illegals that come to the country and expect all rights and privileges as a citizen.

But, there are a lot of hard-working bastards who come to the US to try to make life better for themselves and their family. They also do it legally.

Unless there are some American Indians out there, someone in the family of everyone reading this came over here at one time or another. They might have already known how to speak English, but don't think they weren't discriminated against. The micks, dagos, krauts, hunkys, polocks, etc. - they all had to deal with the crap a lot of people give new imigrants.

Sure, there'll be growing pains. The first generation folks might not ever be fluent in English - but, their kids will learn it, and hopefully become productive citizens. New blood is part of the reason this country became so powerful.