Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It's snowmobile season!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rjfguitar, Jan 8, 2005.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

;) We headed up to the cabin for the first time this winter to try out our new sleds and trailer this year. Dad bought an '04 27' Interstate inclosed snowmobile trailer, '03 Arctic Cat 900 MC 159" and an '04 Polaris 700 Vertical Edge 144".

I can not believe how fast the 900 A/C is. I figured the long 159" track would stick to the snow like drag slicks on a muscle car but I was wrong, it breaks loose like nothing. :eek: That damn thing is a rocket! The front skis came off the snow at 30mph and hitting WOT. :eek: The new Polaris is almost as impressive, lots of power and it seems to run extremely smooth at any throttle position and is impressive in the deep snow we found.

I am amazed at what a difference just a couple of years technology has made with these sleds vs. our other three machines that we have had for a while which are a '98 A/C Powder Extreme 600 triple, '96 A/C 580 EXT, and a '95 yamaha 600 Vmax.

I am just so excited about this year with the new trailer and sleds, we are heading to Cascade, Idaho in a few days. What are you guys riding this year? What setup do you have? :thumb: Looking for some fun snowmobile BS.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have never owned anything like that so I don't under stand the 900 part and all that. How fast are they?

3. rjfguitar

900 is the size of the engine, 900cubic centemeters. Just like 350 cubic inches, just a smaller incrament of measurment. They are incredibly fast, especially in the 10-60 mph area. Top speed is anywhere from 90-130mph depending on the sled. The fastest I have ever been was exactly 100mph a few years back in Diamond lake, Oregon.

You live in snow covered Canada country and don't know much about snowmobiles? :D

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

My family never had enough money to buy one.
    Woah! Thats fast!! how well do they ride going that fast?

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I never really liked anything that had a "season"

Lots of kids ride around here

Lots of kids used to ride across my driveway in the country from ditch to ditch

Lots of kids ran into some railroad ties I stacked "for decoration"

There's a lot of fun to be had with em for sure though

Of course, when you hit a wire fence at 100+, you're toast times two

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I miss riding so much. Someday I will again. As for the season, eh when it gets warm slap a slick track and drag suspension on it and go whoop ricers at the strip :D

7. rjfguitar

Smooth as glass on a trail that is safe for 100+mph.

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Me like to play in the powder :D

[​IMG]

I've had my sled over 100 mph also. 700 SRX at 9,500 ft.
    Man, I think it could break your neck at sea level!

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow! That is so awesome!:xmas:

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

"The joy of violent movement, pulls you under"

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Dad's Viper was the best ride I've had in the 1/4 mile. Wasn't the best trail sled though. Fast when it wasn't melting down or throwing a rod.
    [​IMG]
    I miss sled drags.

12. Storm Trooper

Cool pic! I've always wanted to do some grass drags with my sled.

Pretty cool watching sleds at the drag strip too. I never realized the could do the quarter mile that fast.

13. rjfguitar

I live for the powder and hill climbs! :pimp:

Is that a mountain SRX? What year? Aren't those fairly rare? IIRC Yamaha only made that sled for 2 or 3 years before it was discontinued.

14. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

My dads got a 73 or 74 Yamaha. Not sure of the model but its got a 440 in it i know. Its way to narrow to ride it real fast...unless your on a snow filled street or something. I perfer my four wheeler more then it. I can actaully go through more snow with it...of course you can just pic up the yamaha and move it over into shallower snow with you get stuck, lol

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

newer sleds are probably anywhere between 6-12" wider than old sleds. i forget exactly how much wider. If you buy an 80s snowmobile trailer and 2 2004 sleds they will not fit on the trailer, or will be a very tight fit.

16. Storm Trooper

Of course! :grin: . Can't even hardly get a round here with a short track.
    I consider it very rare because they only made my model in 98 (triple/triple).
    It makes it a little heavy but it still kicks butt and climbs higher than I should go.
    It may not be THE fastest or highest climbing sled out there but it rides like a caddy in the bumps. I also have a 92 Exciter (long-track) and it does pretty good too but will beat the snot out of me on the trails (even though I avoid trails like the plauge). I sure wish I had more time to play :( .

17. rjfguitar

Yeah, short track sleds are pretty much useless. Unless you live up in Minnesota or some other place where it's flat. Those SRX's are pretty cool, never seen a mountain version in action though. To be honest though I was very disapointed in the standard 700 Mountain Maxes. Our A/C Powder Extreme 600 triple/triple with a silencer can just barely beat the MM in the 1/8th mile. I bet that SRX is a lot faster though. How heavy is that sled? I like the big bulgy hood on the SRX. Our A/C 900cc 159" mountain cat weighs 500 lbs! I can't believe how light they have gotten.

What kind of trailer do you have?

18. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Sleds are my 1st hobby. The K5 is what takes my mind off sledding in the summer. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    RJF- In their standard form the Mountain Max were a little doggy. However, with a little work- I am hanging with my buddies and their 1M900's and REV 800's. The RT1000 eats me up though. They can outmark me but not run away from me. Thanksgiving weekend I hit a bump at twilight and causing me to inadvertantly slap the throttle to the bar- instantly the sled wheelied over on top of me - was pretty cool other than the three broken fingers. :D Guess I am not going to be putting the Boondockers on now. At least until I go to a 151. This weekend finally get to go back out and turn some 110 octane into noise! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah , whatever jerk. You never did invite us to go:crazy: .......you should invite us to go. We can be the people hanging around using your equipment, drinking all the beer, being obnoxious and loud, making everyone laugh. Later, jacob:p:

20. Storm Trooper

It's about 550. Too heavy but still does the job. If I had the time and cash, I'd make it lighter.
    I have an old steel two place and a Haulmark 4 place enclosed trailer. It's sweet.