Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

its summertime and I have a head or intake problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Jun 13, 2005.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

1985 chevy, reman motor with 150+K on it. in the past three weeks I have been having a slight overheating problem when stopped. After short trips, the overflow tank will boil over, when cool I can tell the radiator is emptying into the overflow tank. No white smoke from the pipes, no noticable performance loss, just the missing coolant, no leaks in the radiator, hoses, water pump, etc....just changed to a 185 thermostat, still no help.

Today it got worse, coolant boil over from radiator but never returns, at idle getting actual coolant out of the exhaust(the truck is parked).

A buddy suggested an intake gasket leak, hence smoke off the line, fine at speed.(vacume) another said maybe a head gasket with a leak between exhaust and water jacket hence the bubbles opening the radiator cap and allowing coolant out but not back in.

The water in the radiator drops when I rev it so I know the water pump is good.

Anyone with similar problems and remedies???

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

oh boy, oh boy.... oh boy........... my truck was showing signs of a possible head gasket leak, been going on for a little over a month now. It really showed no sure signs that head gaskets going usually do. After talking with lots of mechanic friends, and finally I started thinking it must be an intake gasket, b/c no water in the oil yet. Just my luck sunday night on the way home from work I got my first good puff of smoke from the exhaust I figured I better park it until I can figure out what it is....I hitched a ride to school teh past two mornings this morning after school I pulled the intake and good thing I didnt drive it much longer, I saved the block.....

here is my finger today all nice and healed up ready to get the stiches removed
    http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/215144/fullsize/DSCN1001.JPG

Nice shot of the chocolate milk stick, man that chrome helped
    http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/215145/fullsize/DSCN0999.JPG
    and finally see the little pools of coolant
    http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/215146/fullsize/DSCN0998.JPG

oh well I have the crate motor from the white blazer ready to go as soon as I install a new rear main seal and oil pan gasket, might go ahead and throw on my headers and new exhaust

3. Bunker Buster

Bunker Buster Registered Member

If you see bubbles when you pull the radiator cap, that means a blown head gasket. :(