Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It's summertime. I've got the itch to get something new.

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by laketex, Mar 26, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

It\'s summertime. I\'ve got the itch to get something new.

Help me decide.

This choice is rather strange, but it makes sense. I either want a tow rig/daily driver or a cruiser bike.

Here's my current vehicle situation:
    My current pickup has a bit of piston slap and is running on its last leg. We have a '99 Chevy Prism that runs great and is the commuter car for me. Then there's the blazer, which I'd trust on short trips but never to make moab and colorado runs.

Now if I bought the tow rig, I'd have a big ass payment that I really can't afford. But I'd have a nice truck to haul my blazer around and serve daily driver duties for my wife durning the week. The only advantage in this is getting something that will pull, and creating the peace of mind with a new truck.

Ok, side two, I get the bike. I can pick up a Shadow Spirit used for around $3K with all the gear. I'll be getting 50 mpg easy, it's fun to ride, but won't work as a tow rig or haul 6 people up to the mountains. This wont break the bank, will be hella fun, but is it feasable???

Then there's the other side of the coin. I'm graduating in December. Dual degree in mechanical technology and industrial safety. I should have the means to buy either one at that point.

So what would you do and why???

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: It\'s summertime. I\'ve got the itch to get something new.

Bide your time til you can afford what you want...the bike is cool but somewhat useless aside from mileage. The truck will probably get you in over your head finacially. Why not look for an older truck as a tow rig/commuter? The $3000 that the bike would cost might get you a reliable older truck that can double as a tow rig.

Just some random thoughts...

Rene

3. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

or replace the motor in the truck that you have now and keep driving it till you can afford something nicer... just a thought..

4. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I'd go with a good used tow rig. i bought a 88 four door dually and a new trailer about a year ago for under $6k. I don't drive it much except to haul the blazer, but it sure is nice when I need it.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

dang yall...voices of reason.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL...voices of people in debt with no toys to show for./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene