Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

it's time for a lift, now which one??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GONZO2, Jul 17, 2001.

1. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

it\'s time for a lift, now which one??

what happened to this site? i haven't been on for a while and now my username and password don't work. i had to register over again.
    anywho
    i finally got the money together to resume fixing up the old k5. i wanted to put on a 2" lift and run 33" tires. i really don't want to go too tall because this truck is still going to be a daily driver in the winter and will see a fair amount of highway use. i live in montana so it would see weekend trips of 500 miles on a fairly regular basis.
    a 2" lift on my 85 blazer should be enough to flex 33's without mangling anything. my wife's 88 k5 has 33's on it now with stock springs, but any flexing results in rubbing.
    these are the systems i've priced so far:
    rough country 2" $535 includes 4 heckethorn shocks
    tuff country ez ride 2" $499 w/o shocks $637 w/ predator sx shocks
    skyjacker softride 2.5" $623 w/o shocks (pricey!!)

which suspensions ride the best while still flexing and performing well offroad?
    another question for the gear guys. i installed 4.10 gears and locker last summer and now my truck seems to rev a little high on the highway (currently running 32's, soon to be 33's and the stock th350 auto) will 33's and the 4.10's work out for cruising at 75mph (what rpm would that be?) . next on the list after the lift is a tranny upgrade, so would i need a 4 spd auto for the amount of highway driving i want it to do?

oh one last thing. keep in mind that when done this blazer needs to do it all. tow 6000lbs, 4wheel decently, and have good highway and around town manners. am i asking too much of my blazer? i hope not!!!

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Re: it\'s time for a lift, now which one??

Those prices sound pretty high. For just 2" you could go the add-a-leaf route if you don't mind a little stiffer ride, and it would cost around $150-$200 I would guess.

90K5

See my truck at <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</a>

3. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

the springs i have now are shot. truck has over 200k miles on those springs. they sag out back and in front. the prices i got were from aug issue of 4wheel& off-road. no one around here can beat the prices. not for new front and rear springs.
    if anyone knows of links to where they may be cheaper post'm please.

4. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Tuff country springs have the highest rated spring rate (best flex) according to 4 wheel & off road, I have a set of four on my rig and they seem to flex really good. Check out Off road design for more info.

http://community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just go 4". 2" is a total waste of money. I know, been there.

And I wouldn't really drive any lifted truck much more than 75 mph...if everything's in good shape, great, but I really don't want to push mine, it's just too big.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I would have to agree with Tim. Go with the 4". You certainly won't have any rub issues. And, if you wanted to go with another set of bigger "play" tires later on or ever retire the truck form daily use, you have some room to upgrade. And, with cost being a factor, you can get a Rough Country 4" with shocks, steering arm, and front and rear springs for $459 plus shipping. The total to your door would probably be under $550. And they ship it 2 day. Check them out directly at tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I kinda agree the 2" lift is a waste... if you really want 33's and some flex just trim the fenders a bit. That is what a buddy of mind did and it worked mint w/ very little cutting. Otherwise get the 4" lift and then you can do more in the future and it will easily be streetable. I run 6" of lift and 35's and it is my daily driver.

4.10's w/ 33's will rev you a bit higher on the freeway... 35's and 4.10's is much better in terms of freeway rpm. 35's would be awsome on a 4" lifted truck and a tiny bit of trimming. Solowookie is currentl running a 4" BDS lift w/ 35's and no rubbing yet that I know of. I can vouch for the BDS springs... they are awsome for a street/strip truck. Solo got his springs from a 4x4 shop by me for a pretty good price... then the shop just has them dropped shipped straight from BDS. Solo could give you more details on price and stuff.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

8. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

i really don't want to trim fenders to fit tires. also i got a set of running boards on it too. (helps the kids and wife get in and out, remember daily driver)
    4" lift may be an option. any pictures of blazers with 4" lift and 33's. also does the extra lift start to affect towing capabilities. blazer needs to tow also.(trailer & car about 5000#)