Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

it's time to laugh at me (axle question)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Nov 28, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

it\'s time to laugh at me (axle question)

Aight, I'm building a Toyota. I'm putting in a V8 and fullsize axles. I imagine I won't run a tire bigger than a 38. I'll have the ol' 14b in the back, but I'm stumped on the front. Should I go with an 8 lug 10b, which I have, or a D60? Keep in mind this is a VERY light rig compared to a K5, and I will have a removeable fiberglass front clip and a flatbed. If there's any questions, just ask.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Re: it\'s time to laugh at me (axle question)

8 lug D44. the only catch would be the added weight of the V8

if you were keeping the 4-banger, a built 8-lug would be bomb-proof. a 14BFF rear is way overkill, but nice to have. Drop a detroit in the rear and you won't even have to carry spare parts for the rear axle. the weak link will be way upstream.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If the 10 bolt is complete and ready to bolt in then run with it. Keep your eyes open for a 60, when you find one get it for the ultimate in beef. </font color>

4. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A buddy of mine is running dual t-cases on a flat bed 88 yota SFA running 37's. He swaped out his burfeild for a HP 44. Hes had it on there a year now and i havent heard much complaints. He still goes through his fair share of u-joint in it tho. Hes naver lost a shaft either but he still has the 4 cylinder.

Personal opinion is that you could get away with it as long as you take it easy. Just like anything else.

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would keep the 4 banger, but there's one problem. The truck doesn't have one in it and I'm not going to buy one just to get tired of it later on. This truck had a V8 at some point in its life because the motor mounts are in it and the guy claims it had one. I'm using the 14b rear because I already have it and I figure I'm going to give it hell at some point, and I want that added security. The 465/205 combo will be in there also, so I'm not worried about the drivetrain from the engine to the rear axle. It's just the front that has me stumped. The truck came with the stock axles, and a person that has a Toyota already knows that the front axle I have is the strongest they ever put in them in stock form. This is the one that has the full tube length gussets. I'm guessing I can sell them as a set and partially fund a D60 if I decide to go with one. The only reason I'm running fullsize axles is for the stability and strength.