Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

its time to upgrade

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Dec 26, 2006.

?

axle upgrases

1. Get a D60/14BFF,4.10s, or 4.56s which would mean new wheels

48.3%
  2. Get an 8 lug 10b, and a 14BFF,either 4.10s or 4.56s,also means new wheels

17.2%
  3. keep the 1/2 ton 10b up front regear to 4.10s or 4.56s, get a 14BSF and lock it

10.3%
  4. keep what i got, regear to 4.10s or 4.56s, lunch box locker out back

6.9%
  5. get nekkid massage with gear oil

17.2%
  1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

So, since I`ll be in the market for new tires in the next couple months, I decided it was time to do a little upgrading. Now, I`m having a heck of a time making up my mind, so here goes: I`m going to 35s. Right now I`m running 1/2 tons, and this is my second set of axles I`m running. My first time out, I blew a spider gear up front, and in the rear the whole pinion backed off. So now i have a somewhat rebuilt 10b up front, and a 10b posi out back. But since I`m going up in tire size, I want to have more strength. I definitely want to lock the rear, no question. But the big question is, should i go 1 ton or not with only 35s...The wheeling around here is mostly mud, with some trails that may have some stumps, rocks.....

2. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I say if u have the cash to dish out just go all out now caz in the future u will want bigger abnd then ull have to go to 1ton so just do it know and be happy thats wat im doing soon (taxes) .

3. NEK5

Well, I dont really have the cash to dish out, but I can save if need be...not sure if i`m up for the expense of 1 tons, though.

I dont plan on going any bigger than 35", because this is still my DD. Now, a few years down the road, it may go trail only, then I`m game for 1 tons!...but i need some convincing, and the $$$$ just isn`t doing it for me.:(

4. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Just save and go big there are plenty of guys out there with 1tons under thier DD and i know they love them and i soon will be one of those guys.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

do it anyway...

You'd be better off with an upgrade ,whether you wheel it or not...even just putting a 14 bolt SF rear,and swapping 8 lug outers onto the front axle would be an upgrade,not terribly expensive (probably less than replacing your 10 bolts again!),and you'll have bigger brakes in the rear and more strength..

If you do your homework,I'll bet you can find a truck on its way to the junkyard,and can buy it cheap,use the axles and whatever else you need from it,and cash the rest in for scrap..I'd go to your local junkyards and scrap yards,and tell them your looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to rob the axles from..

I recently saw an 80's 1 ton dually with a 454,D60 front,14 bolt FF rear,NP205 T-case,and a ton of other good parts on "Craigslist" for 1500 bucks, in the town next to me--I bet it sold for much less--had lots of miles on it,but everything worked fine..that is the kind of deal to buy,and I see many go for a lot less (3/4 tons,not 1 tons with D60's and 454's!)..

The junkyards here usually get between 300 and 500 bucks for a pair of axles,but will often sell a whole truck for about the same money..especially older ones like we are dealing with--they just assume crush them,unless someone like you is willing to pay for axles,etc--then they will cut them out for you..anything 15 years or older, is just about always crushed as soon as they get it now..:doah: :crazy:

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

find a 14FF with 4.56's already in it. if you get a matching front use it or swap 8 lug hubs on to your 10 bolt front and regear it. as the money comes in put a detroit in the back.

thats how I did it. 35's a 700R4 and 4.56's is a nice setup. years later when I went bigger I swapped in a 60.

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I vote that you look around, do somemore research and find out exactly what kind of deals are out there. Then add up all said expences and then go with the cheapest option.

8. NEK5

Yea, thats whats running through my mind now. If i can get an 8 lug 10b for free, I can just regear that, and put it in, or just use the outers...

How hard is it to regear??

Also, what should i expect for a 14ff with 4.56s? or one from a cucv with a detroit?will they bolt right up?

As mentioned in my other thread, if your running 4.10s with a 700r4, you should use 3rd gear for under 45 MPH, and OD for above 45MPH...would this apply to 4.56s as well???

9. NEK5

Well, from the little research I have done, it looks like option 2 is going to be the cheapest, depending on the deals i can find.....

10. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ya like I said before, pick yourself up a "Want Advertizer", its got all sorts of GM truck parts in there. Some for real cheap too!

11. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

when I got mine I paid $300 for a 14/44 combo with 4.56 gears and a 205 and both driveshafts. sold the 205 for $200. the 14bolt out of a 3/4 will have the right spacing on the spring perches. regearing should be done by someone with the right tools and knowledge. make sure you help/watch so you can pick up some things.

as far as not driving in overdrive. I let the trans choose what gear its in. never really had a problem with the trans hunting between drive and overdrive with the 4.56 gears.

12. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

[​IMG] I'm NOT being critical on ya BigBlaze. I know it's a tough call...

It is my observation that this particular topic seems hashed out time and time again. Why? Is it that hard to [​IMG] and go for it? IMHO the 10B/D44 vs. D60/14BFF debate is like [​IMG].

Any combination of axle change, whether it be 6 to 8 lug, 10B to D44, or move up to a D60, is going to mean a change in wheels. Going up in tire size is going to mean a change in axles too! I am of the mind-set: do it once, do it right. Never mess with it again, except for maintenance. Why spend the [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]on a 10B or even a D44 when you can invest in a D60???? Spend your hard earned cash smartly! You've already had to repair those 10B's twice! That's exactly the reason why I invested in a D60 and 14BFF to begin with!

I say, invest in your rig, get the D60, get the 14BFF, and get the new socks and shoes! It'll make your rig perform so much better, be more reliable, stoudter, save you $$$ in the long run and if nothing else, you can join the crowd! [​IMG] is where itz at bru-tha!

Pull the trigger!

That's what I've learned from Y'all!

[​IMG] Manny

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  13. 88$PIT

88$PIT Registered Member

I have to agree with MuddinManny. I made up my mind some time ago about the 14ff/d60 combo and it is the way to go. I have had the 1 ton stuff in the past (pickups,tow rigs), and that kind of strength and reliability is great to have!

14. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Go with the 14 / 60. You should be able to find them way cheaper in the mass. area than other places. When I was looking for a 60, I was going to have to pay upwards of $1200 for one out here in CO. Back home Diesel4me helped me find one for $300. (I ended up paying $600 for it because someone was about to beat me to it :mad:) but even after having a friend tow it back out here (another $100) that was way chedaper than buying one here. The idea you get about 1-ton running gear on this site is that it's extremely espensive...but that's because most of the people on this site don't live in the northeast (where 4 wheeling isn't as prevelant, so demand is not as high for 1-ton gear).

Just look around and have cash in hand. Even with 35's I'de be running 1-ton gear, just for the peace of mind!

15. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Nobody is going to tell you that the 60/ 14FF is NOT the way to go, it is the best, hands down, if you can afford it. You could probably find a pair for $1500, but realistically, you're probably going to be in the $2000+ range ready to go under the truck. Built 60/ 14 combos come up every couple of months in the classifieds. Many complete K30's go for this kind of money too, and usually include many other good parts too.

However, you have stated that you are on a budget, this is your DD, and you don't want to run tires larger than 35's for now. 3/4 ton axles are available for a hundred bucks each. If you can't find a set in 4.56, regear what you can find, or if you must, settle on 4.10's for a while and keep your tranny out of OD.

You can shave 3/4 and 1 ton front calipers to run 15" wheels.

If you really want to keep your 6 lug wheels, billet adapers are available for the 14FF that allow you to keep your 6 lugs, but they cost as much as a set of 15" steel wheels, so why bother?

If you're set on doing the 14SF, I would find an open diff 8-lug model that will bolt in, or a wider van housing, then get aftermarket 6-lug axleshafts and add disk brakes. Throw a Lock-right in it and be done. Full carrier Detroits, etc., are available too, but pricey ($500+). Regear it if you have too. It will be cheaper to build a FF, but a built SF with disks would be quite a bit smaller and lighter. Regear your front to match, and you should hold up fine with 35's.

One tons are nice, but for moderate wheeling on 35's they are way overkill. If you are out breaking stuff that's one thing, but you don't need them to have a capable offroad vehicle.

16. NEK5

OK Here goes. I know that some of you think 1 tons are over kill, especially with 35s, and the mild wheeling I do. But with 1 tons and 35s, I KNOW that when i go out there, I could get stuck, bad, and I could have the piece of mind, as B to C said, that my axles will be fine when I get pulled out.

So heres the plan, if you dont like it, tell me why!:D

Save up 5 - 600$, ( I already have it, but its for my tranny I still havent picked up), then with that, pick up a cucv rear end, 14bff with detroit...

then, If i decide to put it in my truck before i get the front, just put 8 lug outers on my 10 bolt, so i can get the new wheels/tires.....

Then, unless if I found a set cheap, start saving for a D60 with 4.56s....

Maybe now I wont be such a fo(kin pu$$y when I`m wheelin:D

17. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:haha:

Go for it!

Manny

18. NEK5

Will the spring perches have to be moved on a 14bff out of a cucv to put it in my blazer?

19. NEK5

Well, talked to the guy I bought my truck off of about the guy with the D60s, and he told me to not even bother with the guy, because he buys them and then sells them in like GA and other places to make a profit.....

20. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

You will have to move the perches on a 1-ton rear, a 3/4 ton rear will bolt in. The Dana 60 is the best way to go, I'm just saying that such an upgrade is overkill unless you're actually breaking stuff already. You can pick up used FF's for $100, a Detroit runs about $425, Disks another $250 or so. If you wait long enough you can find 'em used and built, but it may be awhile. Make sure if you get an axle that doesn't have a Detroit in it that it's open, the Detroit installs inside the open carrier. Make sure you shave the FF before you install it, you can take 1/2-1" off the bottom of the housing to help with clearance. The 8-lug outers are pretty easy to find to, for a couple of hundred bucks, so that you can run 8-lug til you have enough in the Dana 60 fund.